Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:32 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times

Advertisements

kyle--I've been out of town for several days, so am a little behind on weighing in here as the local B-ton person. Yes, it is a great place to live. If you're willing to work as a waiter or bartender in something that is not fine dining, you should be okay finding work. There are some finer dining establishments, I'm just not sure what the needs are there for employees. I suspect they've been hit a bit hard lately. Two of the more unique places have recently closed down.

In terms of a gourmet to go type establishment--interesting idea. I do think there is one place that does something similar. I don't know though because the parking, which I would think is key for a "to go" type establishment, is less than ideal so I've never tried it. IMO, as someone that might consider a gourmet to go option, I think parking is crucial. If I'm picking up dinner to go, I don't want to have to drive around looking for parking and then walk a few blocks to pick up my food. I want convenience. This would probably mean you need to be away from downtown, but then the issue of who is your market comes into play. Away from downtown and you may need to forego the student market. Again, this is just one Bloomington consumer's opinion though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 05:31 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback. I'm still planning the move but waiting for the "economic downturn" to end. I have to sell my house and don't want to do it now and have few offers to deal with. Though at least in Philadelphia we're seeing signs of an end in sight. Hopefully I can put my house on the market by the end of summer.

Does anyone have any recommendations of rental housing? I would want a smaller two bedroom house (older with some character), or if unavailable in a non-student area
(grad students are fine, just not undergrads!)...a townhouse/condo in a more adult setting separate from the student 'hoods. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:26 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Many of the older rentals such as you describe are in student neighborhoods. The Bryan Park area might be a possiblity as it attracts a bit more mature crowd than closer to campus. One thing to know is that many rentals are from August to August or May to May. You maybe able to find a sublet though from someone graduating in December. Be leary of craigslist ads as there are quite a few scams on there.

I can't really name particular townhouse/condo places (it's been many years since I've looked for a rental so just don't know the names), but I generally can tell by location if it's likely to be populated by undergrads.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:44 PM

1,094 posts, read 882,816 times
What you will not like is the 20,000 people unemployed in the area, because several factories in Bloomington, Martinsville, and Bedford closed.

We have daylight-stupid time. We are an hour ahead of the sun in winter, and two hours ahead in the summer, because some TV stations wanted to be on New York time. This costs us more in energy.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM

25 posts, read 65,398 times
Bloomington:
1. Jobs, jobs, jobs: COOK, Inc. (medical manufacturer), I.U., any local restaurant, and construction -- this town is growing!
2. Get cable TV or Dish -- the only channel here is PBS and that gets really boring
3. Find a place to live in advance -- we get 40,000 students living in town every year
4. Visit first to get a feel for the town
5. Beware of all the one-way streets downtown
Bloomington is a charming town -- they even have those old-fashioned iron-cast lampposts lining the streets downtown! I just wish there were more to do in Bloomington, but then again I'm from St. Louis and city life is awesome. As far as shopping goes, it's OK. There's a small mall on the eastside of town about 2 miles from downtown and a few stores downtown, a Target, a Wal*Mart, K-Mart, Kroger, Marsh and CVS. I just miss my skyscrapers and noise. But do visit at least for the heck of it!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 9,289 times
You will be competing for jobs with a large pool of available service sector labor due to students and IU hangers on, which affects wages. It is a peaceful and stimulating place to live. Much to do, great restaurants and entertainment of an incredible variety for a town of Bloomington's size. Gay friendly and liberal. The whole town is good, but the east side is more "gown" and the west side more "town". Native culture of the area is a blend of midwest and south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana