Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:27 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times

Advertisements

Moe, just out of curiosity, about where are they planning to put that?

(If we would be better off starting another thread, please let me know.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 12,444 times
Im down in the West Lafayette area and one of these days when the weather clears up, I would like to come up there and take some pictures. Would I eventually be able to see the farm taking US-52 north towards Earl Park?

Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM

12 posts, read 142,065 times
yes you would , but the best bet is to go to Boswell on 352 and then go through Boswell on 352, go 5 miles to St. Road 71 turn north(right) and follow that for 8 miles... and you will go through the heart of them..If you go... do not pull on any of their drives. You might want to take pictures from the road. there has been a problem with tourist getting in the way of the guys working..We in the county do encourage tourists, but these guys are on a schedule(They have several hundred more to build)..... Phase 2 of the project will be visible from 52 but it has not started yet..

Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 PM

one last comment.... I guess that we are now the largest wind generator project in the world at this time.... there is another company that has been approaching land owner south of Boswell to put in another 275 from us41 at the warren county line to the state line of IL..

Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 12,403 times
Looks like there's 2 separate wind farm projects under construction in Benton county. The first one "Benton county wind farm" has 87 GE 1.5 MW turbines. Most of them are completed. I just drove down there from South Bend. Some of the pictures I took are on my flickr page: Flickr: Photos from cassini83 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/27065073@N00/ - broken link) From one spot I counted 41 turbines that looked ready. None of them were spinning despite the strong wind probably because they are not yet connected to the grid.
The second project could only be described as massive: "Fowler Ridge Wind Farm" 750MW with the first phase scheduled for completion this year.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:56 PM

That is correct on the Fowler ridge.. Glad you made in to our Lovely County, they are not on grid yet as they are trying to get all the lines run to the Duke substation near Lafayette, (The rumor is that NISPCO wanted nothing to do with it, and they are our Electric provider for this area, except in the country where most is REMC out of Williamsport) the Fowler ridge is expected to start the first of March and be completed by next Fall,(first phase anyway) Also there is another company(do not know the name yet) that has been approaching farmers in the southern part of the county where they are to build ???? windmills. up now from 275.( they have decided to up the project since they are having such great response!!) .Part in Benton county and part in Warren County... also I was told of someone that is looking in white county now(Monticello) near the Benton/White line I am told... I will say the the look of the Country side is now changing rapidly, and I am glad... I hope that more of all of you will come and see, we will welcome you...

Old 03-19-2008, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 24,251 times
Just drove up 52 this past weekend with my husband. As we live in Cedar Lake Indiana and wanted to take a different route home instead of the boring ole I-65 LOL!! My husband had me drive up 52 as it takes you to 41 North to Cedar Lake. I never been on 52 before and it was a beautiful ride and all of a sudden we are driving and see those big wind mills as up here we never herd anything about them at least not my husband and I anyways. We just moved to Cedar Lake from Beecher IL and loved the idea that this is being started. I enjoyed the pictures you posted. As we were asking our friends who live in Anderson Indiana where we were driving home from if they knew anything about the wind farm and they say they have not but a friend of theres did. So I went searching in the internet to find out more and came apon this site. Very nice and thank you for telling us about what is going on and the pictures as well,

Liz

Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 PM

Lizzie, Please come back to our lovely county in about 6 months to see the second phase... ( or sooner if you would like) The next phase (Fowler ridge) will be 225 of the wind towers stretching about 20 miles to the state line. Many of them will be approx. 100 feet taller that the current ones that are up. The current ones are Approx 240 feet tall, and some of the next phase are going to be almost 360 feet tall. No one seems to know the exact number of the taller ones yet..... Now I do under stand that it is only 36 or so stories and many of you that live in Cities that is no big deal. But come to the Prairie and see 240 feet of windmill sticking up in the slow rolling hills, In my humble opinion, it is amazing...and somewhat beautiful at the same time... and Lizzie if you do come back... stop at the Farmer's table in Boswell and have some of the best pie that you will have in the long time...
Rugrat....

Old 04-03-2008, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 24,251 times
Thank you Rugrat for giving me this information about the wind towers. Those are going to be some big wind towers. I told my husband about it and we will come back one of these days. Sure is a nice stretch road out there so open and very beautiful. I will have to stop in at Farmer's Table in Boswell for that pie you were talking about.

Liz

Old 04-03-2008, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 25,054 times
To be honest, I'm not sure where I stand on wind farms, 'cause I'm still learning about them. But it's glaringly obvious that energy alternatives must be explored and, while the jury's still out on these, at least they're making the effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana