Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:25 PM

12 posts, read 142,168 times

Advertisements

Thought some of you might like to see the wind farm project in Benton County Indiana.... this is first part of the first Phase with Approx 85 windmills..this is a 4-5 year project with many more in 2 more phases..the company that started it was a small wind farm company. It has since been purchased by BP petroleum.... I do not know if there are any other in the state. I travel Indiana allot with business and have not noticed any yet..... we are a small county just northwest of Lafayette, and I think that we are considered the only "prairie" county in the state... (means we have a lot of wind... HA!). (First post BTW, I am been a lurker for quite a while)
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Wind Farms in Benton County-img_397a0001.jpg   Wind Farms in Benton County-img_401a0001.jpg   Wind Farms in Benton County-img_405a0001.jpg   Wind Farms in Benton County-img_410a0001.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 10:38 PM

260 posts, read 1,347,728 times
I know that there is a farm in Tipton county just off of US 31 that is experimenting with these, but everytime I drive by they are never spinning!

Old 01-21-2008, 05:58 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,786,385 times
I think wind farming is a fantastic idea. I've been by the farm in Tipton county and have seen them spinning! This is definitely a move in the right direction.

Welcome rugrat!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:24 AM

863 posts, read 2,788,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrat View Post
Thought some of you might like to see the wind farm project in Benton County Indiana.... this is first part of the first Phase with Approx 85 windmills..this is a 4-5 year project with many more in 2 more phases..the company that started it was a small wind farm company. It has since been purchased by BP petroleum.... I do not know if there are any other in the state. I travel Indiana allot with business and have not noticed any yet..... we are a small county just northwest of Lafayette, and I think that we are considered the only "prairie" county in the state... (means we have a lot of wind... HA!). (First post BTW, I am been a lurker for quite a while)
Chris
Hi, rugrat. Those are beautiful. Which town is the project in? I used to live Oxford.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:42 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,165,389 times
they are all over Denmark and the Danes love them as a clean energy source.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:56 AM

12 posts, read 142,168 times
skye1974 , They are being built at this time just south of Raub on 71.. If you go north of Boswell on US 41, look just after the road that goes to Dunnington and you will see them to the north west (That is from 8 miles BTW) When they are done here in 5-6 years , they will stretch from north of Fowler to the state line, (15miles) another bank that starts just west of Oxford to the state line(20miles) along the Dunnington road ridge.... and now I guess there is going to be a line of them from the 26/US 41 intersection to the state line, (15 miles) that is just south of Boswell...Now I have been told that there will be over 700 of them in our county .....It is very Exciting for us here in Benton County. (Give us a break we are a small Farming community with only 9000 people in the whole county...... HA!)

Old 01-23-2008, 10:13 PM

801 posts, read 2,570,584 times
That's amazing and very cool...

Old 01-24-2008, 01:43 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,142,899 times
How neat! We had a dear friend in Fowler and my mother was born there also.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:34 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,074,486 times
Not to sound anti-windfarming, but just to add some info [last site is quite long]:
Myths Versus Facts of Wind Energy
www.windaction.org | Pros, cons of wind power evaluated
Pros and Cons of Various Methods of Generating Electricity
Wind power and wind farms in South Australia

There are many benefits of this form of generating electricity, however, the cons also need to be honestly addressed upfront. Myself, while on hand believe such is positive means, will admit that the sight of such farms are amazing, yet are also degrading to the landscape... while realizing that its a trade-off: this to get our juice vs. digging holes in the ground and removing mountain tops to get the coal plus the dirtiness of such.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:03 PM

1 posts, read 25,951 times
Default Wind farm idea

I thinkit would be a good idea to put some by the proposed confined hog operation and blow the stink over to Illinois
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana