Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2006, 07:14 PM

62 posts, read 308,310 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I currently live in Windermere, FL (near Orlando) with my two young girls (going thru a divorce, ex lives in CA) and would like to move to a safe neighborhood in the 'burbs, great schools, convenience to big box stores as well as upscale stores/restaurants, extracurricular activities (gymnastics, tennis lessons, horse back riding, swimming) and no more than 45 minutes to big city with cultural events. I would like to rent a 3-4/2/2 house first, then buy in about a year. My budget for renting is $1,100-1,500 and buying up to $225,000.

I heard about Nobelsville - does this town sound like what I'm looking for?

The other town I am looking at is Cedar Park, Texas, north of Austin...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 07:48 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
Fishers or Noblesville would fit your bill. Both are convenient to upscale and big box stores. Schools are fabulous. There's a Windermere subdivision in Fishers too!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:12 AM

Thanks so much for the information. I will look at Fishers as well...

Can you tell me how high property taxes and insurance fees are?

How bad are the winters? Tornadoes?

Thanks so much!

Old 11-30-2006, 11:07 AM

24 posts, read 108,375 times
Default Fishers

I actually live in Windermere here in Fishers - great neighborhood, schools, shopping etc as mentioned. Traffic is very tolerable. A very friendly community. Taxes are in line with many other parts of the country. On a 225,000 house i would guess about 3,000 a yr. I have lived here 25 years and never seen a tornado. Not to say they dont happen here, but it always surprizes me when i read comments from people that think we have them every other week. Winters range from mild (like last year - 2 snowfalls over 1" and 50's in January) to very cold (10 years ago it was -10+ for 8 days) Great place to raise a family - that being said we are looking to move to a warmer climate after 40 years in the Midwest.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:07 PM

Very funny, indy, that you will be moving to warmer pastures. I want to leave here only b/c the violence is taking on enormous proportions... every single day, there is at least one murder in Orlando... wasn't anything like this a year or two ago. Also, the housing market is not what I'm willing to pay...

Are there ever any home rentals in Windermere in Fishers? Are there any new home communities at all you would recommend?

Thanks so much!

Old 11-30-2006, 02:53 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
There are new home communities everywhere in Fishers and Noblesville. You also have to keep in mind that with the 2 exemptions you can file with the county, your taxbill may be even lower. Our eyes about popped out of our heads when we moved here from Chicago ... exemptions??? I live in a community called Royalwood in Fishers. Our prices are in your market and there are at least 2 rentals available that I know of. We like it in this neighborhood because we are across the street from all the schools our kids will ever attend. Our school district has been going through a lot of growth and there have been a couple huge redistrictings ... folks in Windermere will know what I'm talking about.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:02 AM

32 posts, read 140,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrappile View Post
Hello,
I currently live in Windermere, FL (near Orlando) with my two young girls (going thru a divorce, ex lives in CA) and would like to move to a safe neighborhood in the 'burbs, great schools, convenience to big box stores as well as upscale stores/restaurants, extracurricular activities (gymnastics, tennis lessons, horse back riding, swimming) and no more than 45 minutes to big city with cultural events. I would like to rent a 3-4/2/2 house first, then buy in about a year. My budget for renting is $1,100-1,500 and buying up to $225,000.

I heard about Nobelsville - does this town sound like what I'm looking for?

The other town I am looking at is Cedar Park, Texas, north of Austin...

Thanks!

We just moved here a year ago and were in the same position. We selected Round Rock for its schools. (We rent a four be 2 bath 2400sq for 1200) First you are going to love it here! after a weekend hiking we were driving home and the six yearold said" Hey we aren't on vacation! We live here. COOL HUH?"
In my very detailed search for a riding instructor( i went to about 20 stables in a 40 mile perameter) we found TRI STAR FARMS. Kathy is the most fabulous instructor! She has a way with kids that I rarely find in horse people. My daughter has thrived in riding as well as everyday self confidence under her instruction.
My Youngest plays Tennis... we found a great program through the Clay Madsen comunnity center with coach Jack. It was great basic start for her.
Both girls also really enjoyed neighborhood sports flag football.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:19 AM

13 posts, read 163,957 times
Wow....

Windermere, FL....Where Tiger Woods is from. Niffty. Orlando is getting run down. My sister moved from that area recently as well.

Carmel, Fishers, Castleton, Noblesville and even Westfield are all pretty nice. Not my kinda thing, but alot of the "yippies" seem to like it.

Nice safe places. Chances are the worst thing you'll ever worry about in any of these areas is who scratched your BMW or who's dog pooped on your manicured lawn. And in Carmel, if your child decides one day to develope a coke habit, and screw up probation TWICE; it's no big deal either. That nice, kind, lady judge down there will simply tell him to go to more community service. All the while, I'll get threatened to get slammed in jail for a year for my speeding tickets. All about the priorities right?

Lots of stuff to do around these areas as well.
Your rent range is on par with what your looking for. Same goes for a house.

Google around for other good places in the U.S.

Good luck with it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana