Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:36 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times

Advertisements

Ok, while not being a native of this diverse state, am nevertheless always on the lookout for the unusual, unique, special, interesting, awesome places, be they off the beaten path or right smack in the middle of a town. Places such as The Dunes, Chain O' Lakes, and Pokagon State Parks, the Falls of the Ohio, the George Rogers Clark National Historical Park (U.S. National Park Service) and the Old Cathedral in Vincennes, the old brick (formerly plank) road (now US41) on the other side of the Wabash River leading to St. Louis, the karst areas near Bloomington and Bedford, the Artistic Excellence at the Old Bag Factory - in Goshen, the Train Tunnel near (where else ) Tunnelton, gambling in French Lick, and so on... while partaking of some great Wineries of Indiana.

So, lets hear it... post the places that you find intriguing and worthy of burning some four dollar dino-juice to get to for enjoyment.

And, yes, please include great local food joints, as the body will need nourishment too. Especially pizza!!! And then during the summer months, going to [drats ] can't recall the name or exact place of very good ice cream place, near Uptown area... near the home of one of the rental car companies. Oh well, somebody help!!!

As to pizza, these are some of my favourites: Jim's Pizza in Kendallville, Julie's Pizza in Avilla, Toscani Pizzeria in Fort Wayne, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:53 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Holiday World/Splashin Safari in Santa Clause, Indiana. Very affordable for a family and there are caves to explore in the area. Also alot of Lincoln childhood places to visit.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:32 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
Jockomo's pizza in Irvington, a neighborhood in Indy. Yummy with fresh and interesting sauces and combos. The salads and desserts are great and the beer is cheap.

Bazbeauz is my ultimate favorite and the Garden Pizza my favorite flavor. They have a number of sites. Indianapolis.

I love to go to Shipshewana on a Saturday and enjoy the Amish coming in to do their shopping. Stopping at the local hardware stores and the unusual places around there. Dont go during the week for the flea market. Ticky tacky.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:47 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
Hey sweet, have you ever been to an Amish store? I can give you some places to visit if you want to shop where they shop.

Oldenburg is a gem of a place, as is St. Meinrads.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:44 PM

562 posts, read 2,402,901 times
An amazing place right in the middle of town in Ft Wayne IN is Coney Island hot dog joint right in the smack middle of downtown. It is on Main St and my dad used to run all the way from Wells St as boy in the 1950's to bring home a box to his family. The small long and narrow restaurant is little changed from its 1912 origins. The tables are old wood as are the bentwood oak chairs. When you enter from the street, a short glass window reveals the crew busily cooking the dogs, the savory finely ground meat sauce, and the steamed buns. It is often packed with people from all walks of life. No credit is taken, only cash. Many enter straight from the back, through the small kitchen. Much of Old Fort Wayne has been lost, so to me this feels like the soul of downtown.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:57 PM

82 posts, read 486,362 times
I don't have first hand experience, but I once heard that Arni's, a pizza place in West Lafayette, is pretty good..... (props to sponger42) :-)

Old 03-21-2008, 07:35 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,499,450 times
Lincoln Museum in Fort Wayne. We haven't been there yet, but need to soon. Current plans are to close it down June 30, although I heard there is a group trying to get a deal worked out to keep it open, even if it needs to be moved to a different location.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:58 AM

With Lincoln's 200th birthday coming up next year, I bet the Lincoln Boyhood Home site down in Lincoln City, IN will be hopping! My mom and dad always visit there when they take their saunters down to Southern Indiana.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:43 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,453 times
Pizza King in Lafayette and the Triple XXX drive-in restaurant in West Lafayette. XXX was featured on the food network show "Drive-ins, Diners and Dives" a great place that has been open for more than 50 years.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:20 AM

Bonnie Doon in Mishawaka!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana