Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,225 times

Advertisements

Hey all, looking at applying for a job where I would be working in Elkhart and LaGrange counties. I currently live in another state and would be relocating. My job would involve being on call day and night and traveling through these areas. My concern is driving and weather, particularly through the winter months. Can someone kind of give me a picture of how winter weather is, how often it snows or ices over, do the roads ever close, etc? I have tried to get an idea through city data and other weather sites, but I would like to hear from those that live around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 06:19 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
I have heard of the US 20 bypass closing west of Elkhart due to snow before but that highway has a reputation of being treacherous in the snow. Typically this area doesn't get as much snow as areas west, like South Bend due to being further from the lake. Lagrange probably gets even less. The city of Elkhart itself often gets more lake effect snow than Goshen and points further southeast in Elkhart County. You will definitely be driving in the snow occasionally. County roads are almost always going to be worse than the main highways and I've seen then on rare occasions drift shut after a heavy snow when its windy. So if it's really snowy you may need to stick to US 20 or SR 120.

Do note that I'm given extreme examples. I grew up in Goshen. For 2 years I lived in Elkhart and worked in Goshen, typically taking CR 19 and CR 21 through the country between them. My hours were typically early afternoon until midnight. I never had much of a problem. At night, I may take US33 to get back to Elkhart instead of the country roads if it was snowy.

Are you from an area where you aren't used to driving in the snow? Or have you just heard about all the lake effect snow and it concerned you?

Old 12-14-2018, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,225 times
Thanks for your reply. I live in an area where it does not snow much. I have lived in Wyoming though and have driven in the snow. But, I didn’t love 8-9 months of winter. The job is appealing to me, but I’m just worried I’ll end up hating it there because of driving in the snow so much. Just trying to get an idea of how it is there.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:56 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalulu View Post
Thanks for your reply. I live in an area where it does not snow much. I have lived in Wyoming though and have driven in the snow. But, I didn’t love 8-9 months of winter. The job is appealing to me, but I’m just worried I’ll end up hating it there because of driving in the snow so much. Just trying to get an idea of how it is there.
Is the job going to have you driving? Or will you just be driving to and from work? If you'll be driving for a living doing the job, it may be rougher. If you'll be driving just to and from work, then it would just be an occasional annoyance. Also, snow is typically just 5 months of the year November-March. Sure, it can happen in October and April but it's much more rare. And rain during the winter instead of snow at times is not uncommon. To give you an idea of how the lake effects snow, as you move away from the lake, the average annual snowfall goes like this from right on the lake to moving east:

Benton Harber, MI: 82 inches per year
South Bend: 64 inches per year
Elkhart: approx 50 inches per year
Goshen: approx 40 inches per year
Lagrange: approx 30 inches per year

Old 12-14-2018, 05:29 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Is the job going to have you driving? Or will you just be driving to and from work? If you'll be driving for a living doing the job, it may be rougher. If you'll be driving just to and from work, then it would just be an occasional annoyance. Also, snow is typically just 5 months of the year November-March. Sure, it can happen in October and April but it's much more rare. And rain during the winter instead of snow at times is not uncommon. To give you an idea of how the lake effects snow, as you move away from the lake, the average annual snowfall goes like this from right on the lake to moving east:

Benton Harber, MI: 82 inches per year
South Bend: 64 inches per year
Elkhart: approx 50 inches per year
Goshen: approx 40 inches per year
Lagrange: approx 30 inches per year

Good info here ^

Anything east of Middlebury is essentially out of the lake effect snow band. I'd say nappanne is about as far South as the lake effect snow falls, but it's much lighter once you're South of US 20.

This map illustrates common heavy snowfall precipitation in the area.

https://goo.gl/images/azsDqS

From Michigan City to Mishawaka/South Bend is where the heaviest snow is. Elkhart routinely receives a lot less snow than South Bend, LaPorte Michigan City, etc.

What I can tell you is that any major city Street or interstate or US highway receives priority from snow plows. There are few cases where I felt in danger because a road wasn't plowed or treated.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:56 AM

625 posts, read 1,810,617 times
Our area does a great job with snow removal. Compared to the rest of the country, yes, we do get a lot of snowfall, but the particular place you're describing, Elkhart and LaGrange counties, doesn't get near the brunt. US 20 in Elkhart and LaGrange counties receives a lot of attention with snow plows so no issues there. There will inevitably be times where the road gets icy, but I would say that generally only happens 4-6 times a year. Less on a quiet year, more on an active year.

County roads receive less attention in eastern Elkhart County and LaGrange county because, since they don't receive as much snowfall, they will get less attention on the roadways. It's a catch-22. Schools in LaGrange County will close 2-3x as much as the lake-effect snow areas. They just don't have the population to justify having numerous snow plows. However, INDOT is in charge of state highways so that is a huge bonus.

I drive from Elkhart to LaGrange county everyday for work. It's a great place to live and the area is booming right now! Don't let the weather keep you from here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana