Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 4,805 times

Advertisements

In this range, you are better off at Granger. Granger to South Bend is not that far. Most of the executives - professors - doctors- businessmen live in the Granger area nowadays. Go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
We also have a job offer in SB and are currently live in the DC area. We are looking for a house in the $500-800 K range, and there doesn't seem to be much in SB in that price range. Is Granger a better housing option? How far is Granger from SB? How flat is it? (Completely, or mostly?) What is the summer weather like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 11,381 times
Default relocating too...

I was born in South Bend, but moved to California at age 3. I am thinking about moving back to SB with my children. I read about the public school system, so that's not so great, but what about diversity issues? We are an interracial family, and we currently live in northern CA in a very non diversified area. We'd like to change that. Anyone have any input about this, I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,599 times
Hi all. Having lived in Northern Ohio, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Eastern Tennessee and now living in Osceola, Indiana (east of South Bend and just south of Granger) I have to tell you that this area is the worst I've ever lived in. Now before any born-and-raised here get upset with me, this is my personnel experience. The winters, from Nov. to the middle of March, usually 20 degrees or less with a lot of lake effect snow. Property taxes are higher than any other place we've lived. You have to pay for your child's text books at school and my child goes to Penn High a public school. This year we paid about 240.00 and this is freshman year. Still don't know why they have book fees. Tags every year for our two vehicles is around 250.00 or 300.00 each vehicle. Granger has nice neighborhoods but the "town" has 1 grocery and a few fast food and a railroad tracks right thru the main drag. Everyone shops in Mishawaka with 2 main roads and much retail. The Mall is one story and is just ok. Many people from Michigan shop here so can be conjested. People pretty friendly but can't make up for how expensive it is to live here. Much of the towns and mostly South Bend is just dumpy. Anyway, just my opinion, no offense intendend.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:05 AM

282 posts, read 1,009,474 times
I live about 30 minutes from South Bend and I would never live there. The property taxes are unbelievably high and definitely find a good part of town to live in because you don't dare drive through the bad parts at night time. There are nice towns outside of South Bend about 25 minutes away like Plymouth and Bremen.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:54 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
Don't move to Bremen. I grew up there and went to HS there. Very cliquey. Yuck.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:28 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,157,433 times
I just want to know one thing: do they have any Democrats in Bremen?

Old 02-23-2007, 04:48 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
I just want to know one thing: do they have any Democrats in Bremen?
I left in 1985, so ... nope!

Old 03-06-2007, 07:19 PM

4 posts, read 11,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelala View Post
I live about 30 minutes from South Bend and I would never live there. The property taxes are unbelievably high and definitely find a good part of town to live in because you don't dare drive through the bad parts at night time. There are nice towns outside of South Bend about 25 minutes away like Plymouth and Bremen.
Depends on where you go. Property was re-assessed a few years ago and a ton of places were mis-assessed. Inlaws are going through it right now.

Also, the west side of south bend has been cleaning up quite a bit. The last time I was at home, back in humm....June, '05, Many nice homes were going in, and some of those beautiful victorian homes were being restored.

I love Plymouoth. Im not a fan of Bremen...i dont know why, but im not a fan of it. Also, I think Plymouth and Bremen is a perfect stopping point for the border crossers from the looks of it the last time I was home....

Old 03-10-2007, 09:19 PM

7 posts, read 33,748 times
Default To claremarie and rebesider

For a person who may have spent $800K on the east coast, it may be a better idea to consider using your money to get a $500K home near work and a nice lake home for $250K in one of the many beautiful lakes that were left behind from the glaciers that flattened Northern Indiana.

As far as race is concerned, I have found that South Bend is better than most places in Indiana (but still not great). There are areas in South Bend West (not too far west) or South of Campus with few students, but many professors as well as local people of varied ethnicities. Most ND profs are white, but also are likely to be racially accepting.

I would recommend looking into one of those nice Victorians that junkyard racer mentioned. These homes may be near Muessel Grove Park and Brownfield Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana