Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 08:00 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,154,470 times

Advertisements

weather patterns are changing and even Europe now gets tornados.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 03:43 PM

69 posts, read 324,759 times
Actually, when I was a kid I saw one of those mini-twister come up my grandmother's driveway, taking a tree down, blowing a swingset across the yard, and broke the screen door. It was extremely small, yet pretty amazing to see in NH.

Oh yeah, were getting 12-18" of snow this coming Wednesday. Yuck! I hate those Nor-easters

Old 02-21-2007, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 39,803 times
Default Sorry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simfan453 View Post
California is 100% Tornado free.
http://ggweather.com/climate/tornado.htm

Old 03-16-2007, 10:39 PM

246 posts, read 1,057,381 times
Default highliner

No, Virginia, California is not tornado free. Just ask the nice folks at Twenty-Nine Palms (2 twisters confirmed on base in the last two years), or else consider the fact that Lake Tahoe is a mecca for meteorologists, due to the unusually large number of waterspouts forming there each year. Personally, however, I've seen exactly twice as many tornadoes in Kentucky (4) over the last twenty years, as in Indiana, and neither of the hoosier twisters actually made landfall. Take ordinary precautions, and you should be just fine.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:29 PM

20 posts, read 91,578 times
From my experience with twisters. They always come from the southwest in the evening. They follow the river valley's(historical) and they are attracted to aluminum (house trailers).

Old 03-17-2007, 07:02 AM

13 posts, read 42,892 times
Default About tornado question in Indiana

I've lived in Indiana for most of my life. I've lived in central Indiana for most of that time, but parents live in Kokomo area. I've seen the horrific damage from tornados here many times through the years. We do get big ones here. I distinctly remember the devastation in '65 even though I was still a child. Whole towns were left in rubble like a bomb took them out. These were houses, not mobile homes. Debris only left and maybe a toilet or bathtub remained of so many homes. Later when I was married, a tornado hit about a mile from our home and a woman was killed down the road. Those two times, one of which occurred in Nov., were bad. They can be isolated to one small area, but also take several miles of devastation. I would not downplay the tornado risk in Indiana at all. I wish my home had a basement. In our newer neighborhood not a lot do have basements.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:34 PM

92 posts, read 445,886 times
Tornadoes can be a big concern here in Indiana, but I wouldn't let that be the one thing that prevents you from moving here. I have lived in Indiana my whole life (and I am almost 40) and have yet to see a tornado. I lived the first 20 years of my life in or near Evansville; the rest of it so far 30 miles south of Fort Wayne.

That's not to say that I haven't been in a couple of pretty violent storms and my husband went through the Palm Sunday tornado when he was a child. (Fortunately his childhood home wasn't damaged and the tornado that ripped through the Berne, IN area was only a mile from his home at one point).

If you have any choice in the matter, definitely get a basement. Three times in my life, I have gone to the basement during a storm. Also, get a weather radio that you can program to alert you in the event of severe weather. You can program them to activate when you want to be notified; such as if you live in Fort Wayne, and a tornado warning is issued for Angola, IN (an hour and a half north) you don't have to hear it if you don't want to hear the warning.

Every area of the country has some kind of severe weather risk to it. The best advice is to educate yourself about tornadoes, and how to be prepared for them if you do ever find yourself facing one.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:20 PM

69 posts, read 324,759 times
Thanks again for the info on tornados. I am not going to let them keep me from moving. Just a little bit nervous about them, is all. I'm sure there's safety classes of some sort on protecting yourself from them? I am familiar with them, movies, tv, news, books, etc, but I've never lived in an area where they could happen.

thanks again,

jer

Old 03-19-2007, 03:57 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
There's no need to take classes or watch videos ... but if it will make you feel safer, then by all means. First, buy a house with a basement. Make an emergency kit and have a battery operated weather radio, blankets, etc.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:10 PM

92 posts, read 445,886 times
Here is a link for you about tornado safety.

http://www.tornadoproject.com/safety/safety.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana