Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 03:16 PM

71 posts, read 191,924 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! I'm looking at finishing an associates degree in accounting next year and am widening my job search (I'm in Cincinnati) to include eastern Indiana. I've noticed the incredibly low housing prices in Connersville and wondered if anyone could give me any info abou that community. What is it like, is it nice and safe, is it economically depressed? How far is it from Richmond or other sizeable cities that may offer more job prospects? I'm somewhat familiar with eastern/central Indiana, as my sister used to live in Bluffton. Also, I'm interested in the local schools, as I currently work as a teacher and may want to continue that in the future. Any info about Connersville or other communities in eastern IN would be great. Tell me good and bad stuff. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 08:51 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlygurl View Post
Hello, everyone! I'm looking at finishing an associates degree in accounting next year and am widening my job search (I'm in Cincinnati) to include eastern Indiana. I've noticed the incredibly low housing prices in Connersville and wondered if anyone could give me any info abou that community. What is it like, is it nice and safe, is it economically depressed? How far is it from Richmond or other sizeable cities that may offer more job prospects? I'm somewhat familiar with eastern/central Indiana, as my sister used to live in Bluffton. Also, I'm interested in the local schools, as I currently work as a teacher and may want to continue that in the future. Any info about Connersville or other communities in eastern IN would be great. Tell me good and bad stuff. Thanks
While I am not a native of either Connersville or Indiana, I have lived here since February of 2007.

The housing prices here are indeed at rock-bottom prices...in large part, I'm sure, because Fayette County boasts the highest unemployment rate in the state. The house next to us remained on the market for over 9 mos before it was purchased as a rental property.

Connersville, in its distant past, used to be home to several auto makers and had been very prosperous. Now, it is like Flint or Detroit, but on a substantially smaller scale. The last vestige of the auto industry, Visteon, closed its doors in December 2007. Much of the town is still grieving.

This town is severely economically depressed, and it shows, unfortunately, in several locations and in many ways.

For people wishing to obtain a factory job, well, you should probably keep on looking. There are no major employers left in town that I am aware of.

If you're looking to get good healthcare, um...you might want to live in a community close to a JCAHO-accredited hospital. One that isn't called "Fatal Memorial" by the locals, for instance.

But--if you're looking to score fast food, you're in luck. Sometimes seems as if burgers and fries are keeping this town a-tickin'.

Not that there is anything wrong with either, but there are a huge number of residents who are collecting welfare and disability; in fact, rumor has it that those who experience difficulty getting on either would do well to relocate to Connersville because it's 'easier here'. Too many families are multi-generational recipients with zero to minimal work history. Also, it is well known that this area has a pretty bad drug problem, most notably meth.

Violent crime isn't a big problem here, which is both surprising and comforting. Most crimes, I believe, tend to be domestic violence or theft.

The school system (sorry, I just can't get used to calling it a 'corporation') is ok, but certainly not comparable to most of the state. The dropout rate is pitiful at the high school, and there are always stories that crop up about kids being forced to drop out because of health-related absences, the presence of so many inexperienced instructors, or that staff look the other way regarding drugs on the high school campus.

The adult illiteracy rate in this county is nothing short of appalling.
I might also add that the high school had over fifteen (15) pregnant students last year...my daughter says it was 20-25, probably more this year.

Positives........hang on a minute, I'll think of something.

Ok, I have a few.

Connersville tends to stay somewhat protected from some of the worst weather, at least it has in the last year. Many areas flooded in the state, but we stayed predominantly dry. While we were battered pretty severely by the last wind storm, tornadoes have seen fit to avoid our area...and for that we are eternally grateful.

I have found this town to be very friendly for the most part, but extremely sheltered in many ways. I've run across so many people who have never lived anywhere else, can't think of why they stay, who find Richmond (pop. approx. 45,000) to be a 'big' city, and are afraid of driving in downtown Indianapolis.

Like my husband LOL. *rim shot*

Roberts Park is a beautiful city park that hosts a free fair annually--either the last of its kind, or close.

We're about 25-30 miles from civilization in most directions. Richmond might be closer to 40 miles away, but usually worth the trip. (It reminds me of the city I left back in Washington state.) Cincinnati is also fairly close, about an hour's drive, Muncie about 50 min, and Indy is roughly 70-90 min.

While I'd darn near chew off my hand to be able to live closer to any of the above cities, my dear husband is kind enough to remind me how much money we save by living here (real reason--he is afraid to move away from his family). In a dying town. With no entertainment value. No decent restaurants. Nowhere near the interstate.

My husband wins...for now. But I'm still working on Cincy or Indy lol.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:22 PM

9 posts, read 47,018 times
rayne, your post made me laugh, and whince. I've only been to Connersville twice - both times to see Thomas the Train at the White Water (?) Railroad Museum. Man are you guys off the beaten path or what? Both times it was the hottest place I'd ever been on earth - in August. And I've lived in some hot places!

But I can TOTALLY relate to wanting to live elsewhere but staying for the husband, his family, and because we're "saving money". *sigh* There are worst places.......and living in these small towns builds character, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana