Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:43 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times

Advertisements

Job announcement gone wrong ...

http://www.pal-item.com/article/2013...otors-End-days

They sure could have used those 1500 jobs too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 10:08 AM

I expect a bankruptcy filing from them in the next few months.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I expect a bankruptcy filing from them in the next few months.
Well see about that.
The wildcard for the rest of the state though is if Carbon Motors does get the private money will they build the new car in Indiana?

Old 03-27-2013, 02:07 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Job announcement gone wrong ...

http://www.pal-item.com/article/2013...otors-End-days

They sure could have used those 1500 jobs too.
Yeah I am sad for Connersville. That county has had some of the highest unemployment in the state.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:50 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,877 times
The concept Carbon Motors was putting out just wasn't going to fly. They were going to try to push a diesel engine police vehicle with a selling point of the engine being able to last 200K-300K miles. The benefit was less vehicle turn-over. The problem is that most police vehicles, even those that are assigned to one officer and aren't shared get pretty used and abused. Even if the frame and engine parts lasted 200K miles, I'm not sure what the interior would be like. My guess is not pretty.

Unfortunately for cities like Connersville and New Castle and many others, the past is never coming back and the cost-of-living will never be allowed to adjust to the new normal. When I was looking at homes in more rural areas in Hancock, Rush, Henry, and Shelby Co., it didn't matter how far away the home was from the bulk of the Indy metro area jobs, home prices were fairly high. While not Hamilton Co./Zionsville type pricing, I was somewhat shocked at just how much these older stock homes were selling for. There is still a lot of left over UAW retirement money, as well as social security, keeping these towns going. As soon as the older baby boomers pass, these small towns and cities likely won't have anything left in terms of a local income base to support them. Unless people are willing to drive to the Indy metro area for jobs, the future doesn't seem all that bright. I believe we will continue to see people moving closer and closer to larger urban areas, as with gas prices, commuting from small town Indiana, combined with non-free market housing costs, just make it almost impossible to afford such a life. I remember Greg Garrison asking why no one wants to live in small town Indiana anymore, and another discussion has been why people were so unhappy in small town Indiana and why they were turning to drugs (specifically meth). I was shaking my head. Some folks just doesn't get it. No jobs, skewed cost-of-living, mass media pushing people to party, party, party, the consolidating of jobs mostly in urban areas, the refusal to move for employment, etc. all have a part to play in the issues facing small town USA.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Well see about that.
The wildcard for the rest of the state though is if Carbon Motors does get the private money will they build the new car in Indiana?
failed ... Government wouldn't give them the loan they wanted and the private money didn't pan out.

http://www.wthr.com/story/12066021/r...rs-dont-add-up

http://www.wthr.com/story/13870940/w...type=printable

Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
failed ... Government wouldn't give them the loan they wanted and the private money didn't pan out.

Reality Check: Indiana job numbers don't add up - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Where are the jobs? The real numbers are in - 13 WTHR Indianapolis
Lets not put the cart before the horse.
We dont know if private money has been raised. im not counting it out until i see a bankruptcy filing.
When thats the case then Carbor Motors will be in the history books.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:53 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Lets not put the cart before the horse.
We dont know if private money has been raised. im not counting it out until i see a bankruptcy filing.
When thats the case then Carbor Motors will be in the history books.
If they had gotten the private money, why would they be moving out now. As I see it, they are already history.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
If they had gotten the private money, why would they be moving out now. As I see it, they are already history.
Maybe they are done with connersville?

Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM

they done, as in DONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana