Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 8,664 times

Advertisements

Anyone live in this city of Goshen? How long have you lived here? Have you noticed how much it has changed over the passed 2 years? What about the passed 5 or even 15years?
This place is going down bad, and becoming not only a little mexico as another stated, but I can only imagine if we do not gain more control of this place it will be bumper to bumper traffic from super wal-mart center all the way into Elkhart.
Thats just one issue it will face not to mention the DEA has decalared a vast increase in major drug trafficking mainly by mexican immigrants, plus an increase in hostile environments with the school districts that we place our children in and they are subject to even a greater influence of this type of behavior and in more of harms way due to the gang activities that are growing.
Take away a few issues and what will it do for the City of Goshen? This community needs to come together and make it better for all, not for some to make it work better for them.
Some think our Mayor is not doing his job in the favor of the people but in his alone. Who wants him to make Goshen better? Who thinks the Mayor should be replaced? We need results, we need a better community for our kids the way it once was, and we need a new Mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,128 times
Last time I was in goshen was in 2004. I was born and raised in Goshen but decided to stay here in Texas. I wish everyone well and peace but its not the same and I want to remember goshen when we used to cruise down main street and go to the chief for ice cream.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:46 PM

132 posts, read 370,124 times
I've never been to Goshen, but it doesn't sound like the Indiana I know. DEA activity, drug trafficking Mexicans, and hostile environments? Small towns really have to keep guard as to what comes through their door, because it can all get out of hand reeaally fast.

If the mayor doesn't deliver, or have any vision, boot him/her out.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:34 PM

82 posts, read 345,926 times
As I remember that area, it's not so much the field crews causing problems but the savage yard apes from Elkhart or South Bend. Maybe it's changed. . .it's been awhile since I was in that area.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:39 AM

6 posts, read 25,350 times
I've lived in Nappanee, my whole life, so we've have always frequented Goshen often for dinner, movies, shopping.... basically everything.

It's been on the decline for sometime now...
As an "outsider" it just feels dirty, unsafe, unkempt.
<mod cut, racist>

We go to Warsaw now for most of our shopping and eating.

Last edited by domergurl; 09-29-2009 at 07:29 AM..

Old 09-27-2009, 08:50 PM

202 posts, read 762,887 times
wow, nice to see this post was a great excuse to bring all prejudicial, racist reasoning of all kinds to the table. Thanks so much for showing off your ignorance.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:16 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
When I grew up in the area (during the 1980's), Goshen was one of the nicer surrounding towns. What stormyshy is describing is what I hear from my folks and others who still live in the area.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:28 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
From what I've heard, meth was a bad problem during the heyday of the rv boom.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,494 times
I am not sure who started this post about Goshen but my guess is, you are considering a run for Mayor in the next election or know somebody who is. You should really get your facts straight about Goshen before you post something so far off base. Goshen is not in trouble, in fact, Goshen has thrived in the past few years. The downtown area has grown, businesses are surviving the recession, and the community has come together to help those in need. Goshen is a safe, clean, and close community. All areas of our city have a neighborhood watch program. First Friday's are a hit. Our mayor has done an amazing job and cares more about the people in this city than you can imagine. He supports and is a part of many organizations. Mayor Kauffman has always been a big supporter of the Goshen Drug Unit and is a big supporter of the ICE Unit of Elkhart County (which a Goshen officer leads). Drugs will always be a problem but the drug unit has made such an impact in Goshen that the major drug dealers know to go elsewhere. As far as the traffic, it has improved over the past few years. Of course more improvement is needed and it will continue to be on the agenda. It takes all of us to make Goshen a good community, what have you done to help? Do you volunteer? Do you support downtown and our schools? How ridiculous it is to place total blame on our mayor. Again, my guess is you have your own agenda for slamming our city and our mayor. How sad!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 AM

625 posts, read 1,810,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoColtsWin View Post
I am not sure who started this post about Goshen but my guess is, you are considering a run for Mayor in the next election or know somebody who is. You should really get your facts straight about Goshen before you post something so far off base. Goshen is not in trouble, in fact, Goshen has thrived in the past few years. The downtown area has grown, businesses are surviving the recession, and the community has come together to help those in need. Goshen is a safe, clean, and close community. All areas of our city have a neighborhood watch program. First Friday's are a hit. Our mayor has done an amazing job and cares more about the people in this city than you can imagine. He supports and is a part of many organizations. Mayor Kauffman has always been a big supporter of the Goshen Drug Unit and is a big supporter of the ICE Unit of Elkhart County (which a Goshen officer leads). Drugs will always be a problem but the drug unit has made such an impact in Goshen that the major drug dealers know to go elsewhere. As far as the traffic, it has improved over the past few years. Of course more improvement is needed and it will continue to be on the agenda. It takes all of us to make Goshen a good community, what have you done to help? Do you volunteer? Do you support downtown and our schools? How ridiculous it is to place total blame on our mayor. Again, my guess is you have your own agenda for slamming our city and our mayor. How sad!
I was getting so mad when I was reading the previous posts and than your post came up and I was refreshed, because you said everything that I wanted to say and more. Goshen is actually handling itself very well throughout this recession, combatting foreclosures and job losses. The downtown is one of the tops in the state, with nearly 90-95% of the storefronts filled. Do you know how hard that is to do with the recession? Some towns have half of their storefronts sitting empty. The new commerical development on the southside around US 33 is also growing at a decent rate and will continue to once the Recession slowly comes to an end and jobs return. There is no doubt in my mind that Goshen will continue to grow.

As far as the traffic issue, I look at it at two ways. Traffic continues to be a problem because of the growing population for one, and the lack of a major north/south arterial road with four lanes, particularly from the southside of Goshen to Main Street. However, the US 33 widening project is on the table but not set for construction for another couple of years.

Mayor Kauffman without a doubt has done an excellent job for the city of Goshen and continues to keep this city on its feet. Another project I am thrilled about is the millrace canal, the beautification of US 33 between the road and the railroad tracks, the city's established park system, and the little things such as beautifying little corners of undeveloped land such as the one by Linway plaza. The neighborhood system is awesome too and the fact that the residents of Goshen care enough to even have a sign for the 'city' neighborhood shows how much they care about the success of Goshen.

As far as the 'Little Mexico,' while there have been problems with gang activity and Mexicans, many Mexicans are not involved in this and have provided Goshen with diversity, opening shops and grocery stores which ultimately provide jobs for citizens.

I DO have to admit that Goshen, during the early 2000s, was struggling with gang activity, graffitti, and arson (I think we all know the little problem with all those burnt buildings along US 33 by the Dairy Queen and Best Western, BUT the city of GOshen has cleaned those up and now there is a brand-new constructed bank there and also a Little Caesars.

I personally love the city of Goshen and will continue to support Mayor Kauffman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana