Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:44 PM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times

Advertisements

I went hiking down some lovely trails in Hanover today because the weather was warm. This was my first time on these trails. The college trails are absolutely amazing if you love nature and animals. I saw a fox, a badger, and I saw several deer. There are mini waterfalls throughout the trails. Anyways, I got all the way down the 300 ft hill that goes to the river, it was disgusting. I found a pair of shoes floating in the river, along with a garbage can, a coffee mug, a restraunt styrafoam container, etc. Along the shore was littered with empty milk jug containers, pop bottles, and all sorts of trash. I want to clean up that section because it could be a lovely camping site during the summer. Is there anything we could do to clean up the Ohio River??? Does anybody else have any stories simular to mine??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 04:27 PM

174 posts, read 528,384 times
Oh yes, I am sorry to say that I do have stories similar to yours. The worst one is when I went to the Falls of the Ohio State Park in Jeffersonville. We went down to look at the fossils and I have never encountered such garbage in my life. It really made me sad, really sad.

I think it is great that you are wanting to clean it up. I certainly wish you the best.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:55 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
I went hiking down some lovely trails in Hanover today because the weather was warm. This was my first time on these trails. The college trails are absolutely amazing if you love nature and animals. I saw a fox, a badger, and I saw several deer. There are mini waterfalls throughout the trails. Anyways, I got all the way down the 300 ft hill that goes to the river, it was disgusting. I found a pair of shoes floating in the river, along with a garbage can, a coffee mug, a restraunt styrafoam container, etc. Along the shore was littered with empty milk jug containers, pop bottles, and all sorts of trash. I want to clean up that section because it could be a lovely camping site during the summer. Is there anything we could do to clean up the Ohio River??? Does anybody else have any stories simular to mine??

If I didnt live so far away from the Ohio I would gladly help you!! I think it is great that you are wanting to clean up the Ohio River!!

Old 12-27-2008, 11:29 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Great, very that ya saw all these wonderful creatures.

Also, admire your spunk and interest in wanting to make a difference, and help clean up rivers. Following are just a few links that you may want to check out. Remember that the OH is a very large river, with of course MANY tributaries feeding it... and those all dump their trash/pollution into the OH, which ends up at your shore But, small steps are better than no steps at all.

http://www.wisconsinrivers.org/docum...20Cleanups.pdf
The U.S. River Conservation Team: River Cleanups, river restoration, river beautification, river stewardship, canoeing, kayaking, rafting, fly-fishing, and river trips
American Rivers: National River Cleanup (http://www.americanrivers.org/site/PageServer?pagename=AR7_NationalRiverCleanup - broken link)
Living Lands and Waters - Cleanup on the Ohio River
ORSANCO - RiverSweep Home Page (http://www.orsanco.org/comm/riversweep/default.asp - broken link)

Old 12-28-2008, 08:19 AM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times
Yeah ive realized that. Where I live, we get trash from Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Dayton, Huntington, Charleston, and there are tons of poluting factories along the Ohio river on the Kentucky side. You can't even see 10 feet infront of you when your driving on US 42 because it's so poluted.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:24 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
Quote:
Yeah ive realized that. Where I live, we get trash from Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Dayton, Huntington, Charleston, and there are tons of poluting factories along the Ohio river on the Kentucky side. You can't even see 10 feet infront of you when your driving on US 42 because it's so poluted.

that sounds/looks terrible. I know of people in the Cincinnati area and Huntington,WV area that would be willing to lend a big hand and clean up their sections of river. But I lost my list of contacts on my file when my other computer died earlier this week.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:03 PM

163 posts, read 418,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
But I lost my list of contacts on my file when my other computer died earlier this week.
gdude, if only the computer died and not the harddrive the file can be recovered.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:07 PM

163 posts, read 418,441 times
Quote:
You can't even see 10 feet in front of you when your driving on US 42 because it's so poluted.
So if there is a south breeze the pollution blows into Indiana? This is terrible!!

Old 12-29-2008, 08:51 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
I too have seen all the garbage on my visit to the Falls of the Ohio park. And on the Louisville side, there is a bunch of trash that washes up near the riverfront park and the Belle of Louisville and Spirit of Jefferson steamboats. I was really floored at how filthy these areas were. I currently live in WA state, and although I don't care for it here for many reasons, I can say that I have been spoiled by the lack of litter. You would never see that sort of trash in the parks or beaches here.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:16 PM

205 posts, read 587,510 times
Every spring, there's a riverwide effort to clean up.This is the notice from last year in Evansville http://m.courierpress.com/news/2008/...ated-saturday/

This group has some corporate dollars behind them to help organize and help with cleanups
http://www.livinglandsandwaters.org

Last edited by erickp; 12-29-2008 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana