Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,475,507 times

Advertisements

First of all I am not here to stir up any kind of war. I just have a few questions.
Over the last 10 years I have noticed a growth in churches in Indiana, mainly Northern Indiana. When I was a kid growing up it was never so widespread. I was never bothered by "recruiters" either. Do you think maybe it has to do with the increase of Southerners who moved up here for the work back in the 70's and 80's?
That's what I believe because many of these religious folk have roots in the south (or at least say they do).
I am doing research on religion in America and it's effects, both positive and negative.

!!! I am only trying to better understand how the state of Indiana has become an extension of the bible belt. The several other states I have already researched did not have the growth equivalent to Indiana so that's also sparked my interest. I am NOT, repeat NOT here to discuss each persons individual beliefs, nor will I participate in such discussion. I am here for the sole purpose to research HOW religion has become so prevalent here.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 01:22 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
I moved your thread to the general Indiana board. I think that what you are asking can be researched using religious demographics, which I'm sure are available all over these internet tubes.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:47 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,058,275 times
I do notice that the amount of church goers and churches is unusually high in Hendricks County. Not to say there is nothing wrong with that. It is good to see that alot of kids in hendricks county are hearing the word of god.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:36 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,182,724 times
Indiana has always been part of the "bible belt". When things get tough is when people start turning back to God look at 911. Doesn't surprise me more churhes are being built though or churches going into old shopping malls and abandoned buildings.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:37 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,475,507 times
Hmm, 9-11 did have an impact. It made some people fear for their lives, then turning to god for protection. I have to disagree that Indiana was always part of the bible belt. I also wonder why many of the other religions are not practiced here. Buddism, Judism, etc etc. It seems mainly conservative christian. Trying to find what the main key was in turning this state. I pretty much got all the data I need so if the mods want to kill this thread that's fine. I don't want it to turn into a warzone. Thank you all

Old 02-12-2009, 11:49 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
You have to look at immigration patterns for Indiana to answer your question.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:38 AM

23 posts, read 65,870 times
The state was mainly originally settled (talking before 1850) by people previously living in Virginia and North Carolina, so the state's always had a bit more of a Southern culture than its neighbors. Maybe the rural parts of the southern half are part of the Bible Belt but that's really a stretch. In Terre Haute I've only been approached at my house in the past 5 years by Mormons and some nondenominational evangelical church around here, so I think a lot of what you're seeing is the specific region you reside in and not the state itself. If you lived in a more urban area when you grew up and then moved to a more rural one, that might explain a lot; once you get out of the TH city core, it's a lot more Southern culture, including high religious faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: