Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,611 times

Advertisements

My wife had been looking for a job in chemistry for a long time now, she was trying to get a lab supervisor technician job at a local university....but after a couple of months of trying....the job went to someone else. Every time she fills out applications and sends resumes, there would be no response. She has experience in lab work and analytical chemistry with a bachelors degree in the field + all types of research and development. She applied in every company she could find openings for and it seems that she is not good enough for any of them.....I guess the job hunting is just too competitive in this state. We live in Haubstadt IN just 15 miles north of Evansville on Hwy. 41. We are living on what is left of her unemployment and what I could make as an auto mechanic....which the pay isn't very good in this state for my work. I bring home an average of 180.00 per week and she takes in 297.00 per week now, but it is running out on her unemployment extension. If she runs out....it will be disasterous. This state does not have the work for her here and it is only getting worse....We hate to leave, but my brother lives in Utah and it is not as bad there as it is here....even their state government is operating in the black and they are actually building a whole city close to where they live....maybe we could try something out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 02:03 PM

8,987 posts, read 17,323,446 times
One of my close friends is a chemistry PhD and works for Red Spot in Evansville. I don't think they are hiring anymore though. His mother, also a chemistry professional, works at Mead-Johnson. Not sure if they are hiring either.

Regardless, good luck!

Old 03-25-2009, 05:27 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,125,424 times
Has she tried AIT?

It would mean relocating to Indianapolis.

AITLabs.com

Good luck.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:08 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,069,099 times
Typing "chemistry" and "Indiana" into monster.com, get 24 results... one near Evansville, through a head-hunter - guess she's tried monster and related on-line searches, and has a resume on them?

Yea, every day the news reveals yet more closing, layoffs, etc. Not good, not good times at all...

Best to yas.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:34 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,077,209 times
Well with all the recent good news in the stock market hopefully your wife will be able to find a job soon.

Good Luck!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:59 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,493,343 times
I would really try for AIT Lab right now. A friend, recent college graduate, got a job there and loves it. They have a professionally run shop and all the benefits. 2009 small business of the year and announced they are hiring 130+ and expanding. Their building is out by the airport on the west side.

However, living near relatives is a good thing also for a support system. So Utah also holds benefits.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:18 AM

74 posts, read 200,387 times
We live in Haubstadt IN just 15 miles north of Evansville on Hwy. 41. We are living on what is left of her unemployment and what I could make as an auto mechanic....which the pay isn't very good in this state for my work. I bring home an average of 180.00 per week and she takes in 297.00 per week now, but it is running out on her unemployment extension.

I am not sure of the level of mechanic you are or how the pay scale works in your area but if I were you I would think of relocating to other parts of the state closer to a larger city.

I have been turning wrenches for 30+ years and I made more than that in the late 70's starting out at a local gas station in South Bend and then to a K-Mart service center in Mishawaka before I moved to Texas in the mid 80's. I believe you could do much better in another area of the state or maybe think about the move to where your relatives are where you may be able to get at least some emotional support while relocating. The cost of living may be a little more but should be considerably offset by the wage increase.

Just beware and research the areas well before you make a move because the auto repair and service fields are always one of the first to feel the effect of a recession and one of the last to stabilize after, people tend to ignore repairs and service to their vehicles to save money even if it means parking them as long as they have another to use. Right now I know several techs that have either lost their jobs or are looking for another job due to the loss of hours and income and many more just out of school that cannot find work.

Good luck

Old 03-26-2009, 12:01 PM

458 posts, read 1,273,176 times
Perhaps she needs a graduate degree. I know as a biologist you can about forget getting a job with only a B.S. -- a Ph.D. is ideal. Frustrating but often true.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,375,643 times
I've sent you a DM--be sure to check it.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:49 PM

458 posts, read 1,273,176 times
I got your dm. Thank you for the info but it was the op looking for work for his wife. I teach microbiology at a university.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana