Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,885 times

Advertisements

What issues might a late-40's l*sbian couple face if they moved into a small community in Indiana? Any places more welcoming than others?

(I would have spelled out the word l*sbian, but the forum apparently thinks it is a nasty word. Does that answer my question?)

Last edited by ezdoesit; 06-29-2006 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2006, 08:36 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Depends on the small community ... did you have any in mind? I'm a lifelong resident

Old 06-30-2006, 08:48 AM

5 posts, read 20,093 times
Unfortunately you will face challenges. You may have better luck the closer you move to larger cities. Near Indianapolis or Chicago would be the best bet. I lived in a town called Bluffton (south of Ft.Wayne near the Indiana / Ohio border) for a few years. Its population contained a larger that normal percentage of couples BUT the town was run by a group of Apostolics who were of German descent so it was generally a hush-hush thing. It is unfortunate for a religious body to be that way since we are all His creatures, but that's not what this forum is about.

Good luck and I hope you find a welcoming community to live in.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:04 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Look into Bloomington or West Lafayette ... big 10 towns with large campuses. Indianapolis would work. I'd stay away from NW Indiana .. it can be somewhat hostile. Feel free to PM me.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 10,885 times
Default thanks for the input

I was once a resident of Northern Indiana milleniums ago when I was a child. Haven't had any interaction with anyone there since, but I just remember the small town I grew up in with a lot of fondness. Was just curious whether my "adult-self" would feel as comfortable if I decided to make the move back. Thanks for your input.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:00 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
It depends on the town in NW Indiana. My parents moved there several years back from Chicago and their are several l*sbian couples that live there without any sort of hostility whatsoever. In fact, my father worked in a factory for years with a l*sbian couple in their 40's, and if anywhere you would think there would be hostility it would a factory in northwest indiana, but there was none whatsoever.

Oh, and why would the forum censor that word, that is odd.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:59 AM

80 posts, read 562,581 times
We lived near the Elkhart, Indiana area which is in very northern central Indiana. It was okay. We actually lived in a little community 10 miles from Elkhart called Osceola. After we moved there, we found out that we lived in an area with a very heavy influence of the Ku Klux Klan. It kind of scared us. We were very near to South Bend, Indiana, and I talked to a few black people there, and they told me about the Ku Klux Klan around Osceola. They actually hold an annual Ku Klux Klan rally on a farm in Osceola. My kids also told me that they thought the parents of some of the kids they went to school with were associated with the Klan because they spoke of their hatred of blacks, etc. I don't know if the Klan is against l*esbians or not, but that part of living there was pretty scary for us since we don't believe in that group or what they stand for and certainly don't want our kids being influenced by their beliefs, either.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:50 PM

12 posts, read 106,444 times
Bloomington is a very gay friendly town and has a very large gay population (percent wise). By far the best bet in Indiana. Most liberal place in Indiana by far.

Old 07-01-2006, 09:58 PM

52 posts, read 398,904 times
I agree with Bloomington. It is a college town so you will find lots of diversity. There is also a popular hang out from what I hear called Bullwinkles.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:53 PM

28 posts, read 134,959 times
Default Try Fishers, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdoesit
What issues might a late-40's l*sbian couple face if they moved into a small community in Indiana? Any places more welcoming than others?

(I would have spelled out the word l*sbian, but the forum apparently thinks it is a nasty word. Does that answer my question?)
My cousin/his gay partner (hope I said this properly), like Fishers area and have bought a home together there. It is very nice, modern area close to Indianapolis which is quite diverse; GOOD LUCK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana