Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 9,381 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...

I lived in Bloomington about 10 yrs ago- as a (unruly) college kid, not as a mother of a 18 month old- but am lucky enough to be moving back to this awesome town. We will soon be back in Bloomington and are looking to make sure we can have the most fun possible. If you have information/suggestions/experiences for any of the following, let us know...

1. toddler swim classes- location, cost, etc.

2. toddler gymnastic/movement classes- location, cost, etc

3. raising a bi lingual baby- playgroups, preschool, etc

4. favorite park for kids

5. experiences with preschools (our lil man will be 1 1/2 yrs old)

6. information on any must do activities with kids

It took months to find and arrange all of these activites where we currently live, and I would REALLY appreciate any help so I dont have to spend another lifetime searching on the internet.

thank you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 08:22 AM

196 posts, read 697,190 times
I don't have any current knowledge of Bloomington activities for young kids. You might start checking with the "Y" for the physical activities and utilize the mom networking/expertise that I suspect you will find there.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:02 PM

43 posts, read 194,647 times
I am an early childhood major here at IU and have worked/volunteered with many toddler/early childhood programs in town. I really think that the BDLC is the best daycare/preschool program in town...they are culturally diverse and foster all of their children's individual needs. They teach sign language in the mobile infant rooms (and the children really respond to it..its amazing!) Check out their website www.bdlc.org It is quite pricey though...and if that doesnt fit into your budget, try Campus View Childcare on campus...I'm not sure if they tend to toddlers, but look into it. It's a good program too....Campus Children's Center is near campus by the mall...thats a good one as well but again Im not sure if they tend to toddlers. University Elementary has a preschool program that's really good too...I taught first grade there for field experience and really enjoyed the staff and curriculum. I noticed they had a preschool room so look into that as well. I'll warn you about St. Charles...they are trying to get a national accredidation but the director is no good and it's not very clean...there's another church downtown that is REALLY good that tends to infant/toddler/preschool. The director is amazing...i cant remember what it's called but I think it's located on the corner or 4th and Washington, they just got a national accredidation too.

Having a bilingual child in Bloomington is no big deal..because of IU every class I have been in has had atleast 1/3 of children as bilingual.

As far as toddler programs go, I would start at the YMCA. They have a preschool/daycare program there and I tried to get in there to volunteer but they weren't very responsive but you may still want to check it out. Home

Also, the Monroe County Public Library has a lot of activities for children. Their children's section is AMAZING...I heard it was one of the best in the state. Not only do they have books, but games/activities, and a parent resource room. Children's Services You can even put as many books as you want on 'hold' online and they will send you an email when they are ready to be picked up.

Bryan Park is on the south end of town. It's a huge park and all the time I drive by there, it's full of people. It's very pet friendly..I always see people walking their dogs, playing frissbee or having soccer practice..it's very family friendly.

that's all i can think of right now...any more questions, let me know!

Old 05-17-2009, 03:55 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,068,071 times
I would look into the Monroe County Department of Recreation.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:44 AM

2 posts, read 9,381 times
Babygirl-

thanks for the reply. we are currently on the wait list for BDLC, but I was considering keeping him at home until they have an opening; it sounds like it might be worth it to wait.... and I will look into the YMCA.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:46 AM

43 posts, read 194,647 times
I forgot to mention that the public library has a programs specifically for two year olds..it includes dance, music, fingerplays, ect. I believe it's on Monday mornings at 10am, free of cost. Their website has tons of information about programs available. ...one of my favorite things is their 'read to a dog' program. When your son gets older, maybe he can benefit from it..but they bring in dogs from the humane society for the children to read to! it's a really fun time for all of us!! (the volunteers, the children, and the dogs!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana