Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 04:41 PM

15 posts, read 57,485 times

Advertisements

Thanks Icky - you didn't sound too hard - I would rather go in with 20/20 and I appreciate honesty.

I really look forward to visiting.

I currently live 15 min to the beach and the traffic here backs up for 20-30 miles - 2-5 hours every Saturday afternoon all summer.

Of course, if your a local and not adverse to cold weather, you can enjoy the beach sometime around November when its cold enough for the tourists to stay away.

elle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,005 times
Hi.. I currently live in Montpelier and have for almost a year now. There are some people in the town that are odd, but you have that every place you go right? People's houses seem run down for the most part but you see a good handful of people who are making repairs to them. When I took my dog for a walk this morning there were at least 3 people having new roofs put on and siding.

No jobs is basically the only negative I can see for Montpelier. May I also note that I have moved to Indiana from California. Which there is a huge huge huge difference in the way life is but I couldn't be happier where we moved to.

The people for the most part are friendly. No gangs, no visible druggies (I'm talking about people who are walking around doped up, or you see drug baggies all over, like what I saw in California), very little to no crime, and the schools are ok.

I don't see a problem with Montpelier And also, I've been to Hartford and Bluffton and there is a fair share of run down houses and trashy people in both places

Old 08-17-2006, 12:35 AM
RCL

123 posts, read 680,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabriena View Post
Hi.. I currently live in Montpelier and have for almost a year now. There are some people in the town that are odd, but you have that every place you go right? People's houses seem run down for the most part but you see a good handful of people who are making repairs to them. When I took my dog for a walk this morning there were at least 3 people having new roofs put on and siding.

No jobs is basically the only negative I can see for Montpelier. May I also note that I have moved to Indiana from California. Which there is a huge huge huge difference in the way life is but I couldn't be happier where we moved to.

The people for the most part are friendly. No gangs, no visible druggies (I'm talking about people who are walking around doped up, or you see drug baggies all over, like what I saw in California), very little to no crime, and the schools are ok.

I don't see a problem with Montpelier And also, I've been to Hartford and Bluffton and there is a fair share of run down houses and trashy people in both places
Sabriena, thank you for your perspective!

I'm not too sure what you mean by houses looking run down. Some people I've talked to think that if a neighborhood has no sidewalks and manicured lawns, then it looks run down. To others, run down means more plywood windows than glass. I guess it depends on personal experience.

I know from experience that older houses generally need more regular maintenance (until/unless you strip them to the studs and rehab them). I'm drawing a correlation to the fact that much of the housing stock in many places in the midwest is between 50-125 yrs old, and also considering that harsher weather both in summer and winter take their toll. Could that be what you mean by looking run down?

Old 08-21-2006, 08:54 PM

15 posts, read 57,485 times
Hi Sabriena,

Since you have been there for the year - how was the winter, snow - snow removal? Do you loose electric alot during storms or is it fairly stable?

Is car insurance, house insurance reasonable, water, sewer, electric? vs really high? We have well & septic - not sure what to expect when we are billed for these.

Also, is there high speed internet?

Sorry to ask so many questions - but if you have answers I'd appreciate them.

elle

Old 11-16-2006, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 22,599 times
Hi elle

How did your husband's visit to Montpelier go?

jori

Old 06-01-2007, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanny View Post
I lived in Montpelier for several years. It is a small midwestern town and keeps the pace as such. I also know that some people may refer to the residents as rednecks but they are actually humble and good hearted people who truly enjoy the simple life away from stip malls and traffic jams. I still visit occassionally and my 88 year old grandmother still lives there. It's not a thriving metropolis, but it has it's own endearing characteristics. Hartford City and/or Bluffton are north/south of Montpelier and may offer more.
Shanny
"I lived in Montpelier for several years."
Did you know of any of the Graves' family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana