Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 02:15 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,982,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Rat View Post
Oh, man. You said it. You know exactly what I'm talking about. I've read that the cost of living is nearly 30% less up there and pay seems to be about the same or a little more. Would you say that the people are generally a little nicer up there? So, it sounds like you're happy you made the move. That's very encouraging. Thanks for posting.

One thing I do miss are the beaches like Singer Island or Spanish River Park in Boca. Well, anyway yes the people in Indy seem to be more down to earth. You're not surrounded by as many fast paced snow birds from the Northeast or Canadians. Indy does have diversity but it isn't as diverse as SFLA. You do have many people from Chicago , Michigan/ Northern Indiana, Ohio that do live in Indy or from Kentucky. The city isn't just culturally one sided. It's a cross roads community. There is something for everyone here. It's not big like Miami but it's not small like West Palm Beach. It's about right in the middle. Indy's economic future is very bright. I plan on starting a business there which is much easier to do with less red tape than WPB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 03:01 PM

22 posts, read 30,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
One thing I do miss are the beaches like Singer Island or Spanish River Park in Boca. Well, anyway yes the people in Indy seem to be more down to earth. You're not surrounded by as many fast paced snow birds from the Northeast or Canadians. Indy does have diversity but it isn't as diverse as SFLA. You do have many people from Chicago , Michigan/ Northern Indiana, Ohio that do live in Indy or from Kentucky. The city isn't just culturally one sided. It's a cross roads community. There is something for everyone here. It's not big like Miami but it's not small like West Palm Beach. It's about right in the middle. Indy's economic future is very bright. I plan on starting a business there which is much easier to do with less red tape than WPB.
That helps a lot when you say it's between the size of Miami and WPB. That's something that I can picture and something I really wanted to know. When I look at population numbers and crap, it really doesn't help me to visualize it.
You know what? I don't even go to the beach anymore. I guess the novelty wears off after twenty or so years, haha. I think it will be nice to be around down to earth people.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:33 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,982,299 times
Metro Indy is similar to Broward County's population except it has more city limits than Fort Lauderdale along with a bigger active downtown and skyline minus the large concentration of residential highrises lining up along the beach. Also Indy has more historical buildings and monuments. Just think you won't be the only former South Floridian living in Indy.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Metro Indy is similar to Broward County's population except it has more city limits than Fort Lauderdale along with a bigger active downtown and skyline minus the large concentration of residential highrises lining up along the beach. Also Indy has more historical buildings and monuments. Just think you won't be the only former South Floridian living in Indy.
Very cool. I love old houses/ buildings. One thing I'll definitely miss is the vicious thunderstorms. I love them! Does Indy ever have anything comparable to our summer t-storms???

Old 08-13-2011, 04:05 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
Quote:
well don't forget Indiana's beach is lake Michigan and you can drink the water!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Can anyone tell me anything about the East Indy neighborhood in Indianapolis? I have been looking at details on this site but any first-hand knowledge of that area would be awesome.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:29 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,152,937 times
Quote:
Can anyone tell me anything about the East Indy neighborhood in Indianapolis? I have been looking at details on this site but any first-hand knowledge of that area would be awesome.
How far east? Holy Cross is going through gentrification and it's a very active neighborhood. East of there from say Oriental to Emerson is pretty shady and begins to get a little nicer once you enter into Warren Township.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
How far east? Holy Cross is going through gentrification and it's a very active neighborhood. East of there from say Oriental to Emerson is pretty shady and begins to get a little nicer once you enter into Warren Township.
Well, I'm not really sure. Here is the neighborhood as defined by this website: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...apolis-IN.html

Does this help?

Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm not really sure. Here is the neighborhood as defined by this website: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...apolis-IN.html

Does this help?
Sorry, the link didn't work, but you could copy & paste it. It shows you the area.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:03 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,152,937 times
Quote:
Sorry, the link didn't work, but you could copy & paste it. It shows you the area.
Depending on your income, I would personally look at Cottage Home or maybe parts of Holy Cross both are just immediately east of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis