Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,015,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Uh, where have you been. Even with areas with Oceans and Mountains, you have to travel if coming from a big city to those amenities. Have you been to Brown County, Monroe County, Covered Bridge Festival (Parke County more covered bridges than anywhere else in nation), how about IMA grounds, Holcomb Gardens, Connor Prairie. Travel up north the Dunes, travel down touth to Paoli? What
Sorry, but NONE of those things compare. Yes, Brown county is nice, and other hit and miss areas of the state. But make no mistake, Indiana is no outdoorsman paradise. All Indiana is known for is corn and its vast amount of flat lands.

There are several large cities that are very close to mountains and oceans. You don't have to travel for hours, they are RIGHT there. Indiana, pretty much desolate. The state (Indianapolis) is not known for being green or being environmentally friendly. I think one of the reasons is that we don't have such scenic places to make people think to take care of the environment. That sounds silly and ridiculous, but has some truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:12 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
Sorry, but NONE of those things compare. Yes, Brown county is nice, and other hit and miss areas of the state. But make no mistake, Indiana is no outdoorsman paradise. All Indiana is known for is corn and its vast amount of flat lands.

There are several large cities that are very close to mountains and oceans. You don't have to travel for hours, they are RIGHT there. Indiana, pretty much desolate. The state (Indianapolis) is not known for being green or being environmentally friendly. I think one of the reasons is that we don't have such scenic places to make people think to take care of the environment. That sounds silly and ridiculous, but has some truth.
Indianapolis is the 12th largest city in the US. Fastest growing region in the midwest and 34th largest metro area. which contiunes to rise. Also there is plenty to do you just are to lazy and upset at everything negative instead of looking at the positive. You have the Super Bowl this year. Grow up stop blaming Indy and others and get outside. Theres the Central Canal you can walk down. Hundreds of parks and Eagle Creek Res if you want to go swimming. Plus theres Lake Michigan which is BETTER than the ocean for 3 reasons. First i can drink the water 2nd theres no hurricane risk on it and 3rd no Tsunamis but i can get the wave action like an ocean.

Edit: Not to mention walking around the circle and downtown/Broad Ripple Village oh the list goes on and on.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:27 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
No need to defend Indy... He can hate on Indy all he wants, it won't change me liking it here. By defending it, you're feeding his fire! Let it go.....

Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
No need to defend Indy... He can hate on Indy all he wants, it won't change me liking it here. By defending it, you're feeding his fire! Let it go.....
Good point. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:50 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Indianapolis is the 12th largest city in the US. Fastest growing region in the midwest and 34th largest metro area. which contiunes to rise. Also there is plenty to do you just are to lazy and upset at everything negative instead of looking at the positive. You have the Super Bowl this year. Grow up stop blaming Indy and others and get outside. Theres the Central Canal you can walk down. Hundreds of parks and Eagle Creek Res if you want to go swimming. Plus theres Lake Michigan which is BETTER than the ocean for 3 reasons. First i can drink the water 2nd theres no hurricane risk on it and 3rd no Tsunamis but i can get the wave action like an ocean.

Edit: Not to mention walking around the circle and downtown/Broad Ripple Village oh the list goes on and on.
Some people prefer dirt, trees, streams/rivers, and solidarity instead of concrete, artificial lighting, and crowds. Central Indiana definitely isn't a place for folks who like the woodsy outdoors. Camping is one of the cheapest things an outdoors person can do, and you compare it with the Super Bowl which is nothing more than a $500 movie. Some folks like to be around crowds, they like to go and walk the same thing day after day after day.

In Central Indiana, there just isn't much what I would call hardcore outdoors stuff. For the person who likes general outdoors stuff, there is enough statewide if you take a few camping trips every year or so. If you love to live outdoors (meaning mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing, etc.), Central Indiana isn't for you.

I always thought "outdoor recreation" would mean the seem to everyone. To me, it means hiking a rough trail of Brown Co. SP or Turkey Run SP. It means hiking for a few hours (minimum) in the Hoosier National Forest. For others, it means jumping over puke puddles in Broad Ripple, trying to avoid beggars downtown, or blowing $500 to watch over-paid grown men run around in tights.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:39 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
In Central Indiana, there just isn't much what I would call hardcore outdoors stuff. For the person who likes general outdoors stuff, there is enough statewide if you take a few camping trips every year or so. If you love to live outdoors (meaning mountain biking, hiking, rock climbing, etc.), Central Indiana isn't for you.
No major US City is really appropriate for someone who is into "hardcore outdoors stuff." Even in places near mountains, etc, the sheer number of people out there doing the same thing dramatically takes away from the experience. Hence the growth of places like Bozeman (although the same effect occurs, albeit to a far lesser extent)

Old 09-08-2011, 07:17 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
trying to avoid beggars downtown, or blowing $500 to watch over-paid grown men run around in tights.
It is amusing to me that many people who complain about over paid football players pony up $30 to watch Johnny Depp pretend to be a pirate for 3 hours, thinking nothing of how wealthy it makes him, even if the movie should be a box office bust.

But I digress....

Old 09-08-2011, 12:08 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luked View Post
Upfront disclaimer: I don't know anything about Indianapolis (as you'll see below), mainly due to the fact that I don't know anyone /from/ Indianapolis.

What I'm looking for in this thread are impressions from professionals like me who basically knew nothing about Indianapolis and were unenthusiastic about relocating there, but came anyway for professional reasons (I'm thinking about companies like Eli Lilly, IUPUI, etc.).

My wife's job is being transferred to Indianapolis (IUPUI) from Pittsburgh (Pitt/UPMC) and we need to decide if it makes sense for us to move with the job or to stay here. There isn't currently a huge economic incentive for us to make the move, her earning potential will stay the same if she stays or goes, while mine will probably drop by 30-50ish% if we go (new CS Ph.D. graduate)---I have a related post about which parts of Indianapolis make sense for us to look at.

I have an uneducated negative bias towards Indianapolis (this annoys my wife greatly).

1) It's farther away from my family there---we currently fly round-trip direct Pittsburgh to Boston for $100 per person.

2) It doesn't appear to have much in the way of public transportation and it's not obvious that current light-rail based dreams will go anywhere.

3) It doesn't have much in terms of a high-tech industry (I [will] have a PhD in CS)---Pittsburgh isn't great but does have CMU and its sphere of influence, and has larger companies like Intel and Google.

4) It appears to have confusing, expensive, and slowish broadband options---I believe this is indicative of a city's commitment to high tech.

5) Based on a survey of private schools in Indianapolis (Indiana Private/Non-Public Schools) it seems relatively religious---we consider ourselves to be tolerant atheists and are quiet about it but feel awkward and uncomfortable around evangelicals.

6) I can't stand the NBA or NFL teams that play indoors (mostly kidding about the indoor thing . I love the NHL and like MLB. I think the NCAA is ridiculous.

7) I like good food (we lived in Providence, RI for 9 years and the food there is excellent Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Indian, Chinese, Thai/Vietnamese/Cambodian, BBQ, bistro-style grills, you name it)---Pittsburgh's only downside is that it has terrible food.

So basically, did anyone out there feel the same way before coming? How has it turned out, as/better than/worse than expected? Any advice one way or another? Moving would be a 15-20 year commitment since we really don't feel like it's healthy for kids (2 & 4 year olds) to move around from 1st to 12th grade so we want this to be right.

I'm a former resident. Currently my older brother lives in Indy.

First some background. I come from a New England Prep/Ivy League background. Family (father) and friends went to Ivy League schools and Prep schools. We are an upper middle class and wealthy family with a similar social circle with most of the people residing in New England. I spent most of my life living in the Hartford area but during the last 20 years I've decided to live in some different places to see how they compare to New England.

Currently I live in the Kansas City area and hate it. I did not have any preconceived notions about this area before moving here. In fact prior to moving here the first time I was here a long time friend (now no longer part of my social circle) moved here after transferring with AT&T from Providence. He loves it here. A year after he moved here I noticed a change in his personality and behavior. He went from having the same girl friend for ten years in New England (and one that was educated at that) to sleeping around with women at work and others that he met at bars. He also became a racist, anti semite, self absorbed and lazy after moving to KC. Prior to that he was merely a bigot and at least had a good work ethic. Sadly, his personality started to mimic the negative traits that are ingrained in the culture in KC. The women here are very shallow and full of themselves. This is the ONLY place I've lived where I've actually had women tell me they don't want to go out with me despite the fact I am not only not interested in dating these particular women but also not really talking to them to any great degree. Women over the age of 40 have been the worst offenders. They "think" if a guy talks to them that he is after something. Real pinheads. People in general are paranoid of people from cultures that are unfamiliar and ignorant because most of the natives are not well traveled. People here like to bully other people into conforming into their lifestyle because they are not comfortable with non conformists.

Now onto Indy. I did not experience ANY of the issues above while living there. People are definitely friendlier than they are in Missouri and women especially those 20 somethings and college gals that don't automatically cop an attitude with a guy just because he talks to her for a minute or two. The work ethic in central Indiana is better than it is in the KC area. I did not see as many racial issues crop up there during my stay as I've seen in the KC area during a similar time frame. Indy is more business friendly than KC. When I presented a concept I have for a somewhat innovative small business concept, I found central Indiana communities were open to the idea. Kansas City? Nope. Laughed at it or brushed me off. If I had to do it again, I would definitely live in or near Indianapolis again.

I have a friend in Brownsburg that married a local gal and he seems happy there. He is from Kentucky originally but has been in Indy for almost ten years now.

My older brother is not happy in Indy but I think this is mostly due to the fact he is going through a messy divorce and the situation he has had with his wife (moved there for her job, not his) has jaded his ability to judge the place in an honest manner. He has said that the cultural differences between him and the local people is the primary problem. I've told him if he thinks the differences between the people of Indy and New Englander's is extreme he should try out KC for size. Personally, I've found that I can relate reasonably well to the local people and especially transplants of the area certainly more so than in Missouri.

The only real negative aspects I see in the area have already been pointed out. I too like hiking in the mountains or hills of New England or Colorado, the ocean and being in fairly remote forests for fun. And the lack of good Mom and Pop restaurants or at least a good number of them is something that the Indy area also lacks especially when comparing it to New England, NY and the Pittsburgh area. Aside from that, I find life there is quite agreeable.

Probably the most important advice I can give is the following. Please do not try to compare Indy to Boston or Pittsburgh. Two different animals. Look at the assets the area has to offer and try to work around the aspects you perceive as negative. I can get around the lack of good Mom and Pop restaurants by eating at home. And here in KC for example I will travel back to Connecticut or up to Iowa or Minnesota if I want to find better places to hike in a cooler climate than I find in KC. This is the best way to approach this move. Indy is Indy and as someone else pointed out, it does not put on any phony airs or pretentious attitudes. If you want those characteristics then by all means give Kansas City a look. These people are as phony as a 4$ bill, especially most of the women.

Edit. I should also add that here in KC over the years I've been sexually harassed, harassed by people in and outside of work. I've had gay guys try to pick me up and I'm not gay. I was even being stalked by some creep (weirdo woman) that I run into through work frequently. Never experienced this kind of behavior in Indy while living and working there.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I'm a former resident. Currently my older brother lives in Indy.

First some background. I come from a New England Prep/Ivy League background. Family (father) and friends went to Ivy League schools and Prep schools. We are an upper middle class and wealthy family with a similar social circle with most of the people residing in New England. I spent most of my life living in the Hartford area but during the last 20 years I've decided to live in some different places to see how they compare to New England.

Currently I live in the Kansas City area and hate it. I did not have any preconceived notions about this area before moving here. In fact prior to moving here the first time I was here a long time friend (now no longer part of my social circle) moved here after transferring with AT&T from Providence. He loves it here. A year after he moved here I noticed a change in his personality and behavior. He went from having the same girl friend for ten years in New England (and one that was educated at that) to sleeping around with women at work and others that he met at bars. He also became a racist, anti semite, self absorbed and lazy after moving to KC. Prior to that he was merely a bigot and at least had a good work ethic. Sadly, his personality started to mimic the negative traits that are ingrained in the culture in KC. The women here are very shallow and full of themselves. This is the ONLY place I've lived where I've actually had women tell me they don't want to go out with me despite the fact I am not only not interested in dating these particular women but also not really talking to them to any great degree. Women over the age of 40 have been the worst offenders. They "think" if a guy talks to them that he is after something. Real pinheads. People in general are paranoid of people from cultures that are unfamiliar and ignorant because most of the natives are not well traveled. People here like to bully other people into conforming into their lifestyle because they are not comfortable with non conformists.

Now onto Indy. I did not experience ANY of the issues above while living there. People are definitely friendlier than they are in Missouri and women especially those 20 somethings and college gals that don't automatically cop an attitude with a guy just because he talks to her for a minute or two. The work ethic in central Indiana is better than it is in the KC area. I did not see as many racial issues crop up there during my stay as I've seen in the KC area during a similar time frame. Indy is more business friendly than KC. When I presented a concept I have for a somewhat innovative small business concept, I found central Indiana communities were open to the idea. Kansas City? Nope. Laughed at it or brushed me off. If I had to do it again, I would definitely live in or near Indianapolis again.

I have a friend in Brownsburg that married a local gal and he seems happy there. He is from Kentucky originally but has been in Indy for almost ten years now.

My older brother is not happy in Indy but I think this is mostly due to the fact he is going through a messy divorce and the situation he has had with his wife (moved there for her job, not his) has jaded his ability to judge the place in an honest manner. He has said that the cultural differences between him and the local people is the primary problem. I've told him if he thinks the differences between the people of Indy and New Englander's is extreme he should try out KC for size. Personally, I've found that I can relate reasonably well to the local people and especially transplants of the area certainly more so than in Missouri.

The only real negative aspects I see in the area have already been pointed out. I too like hiking in the mountains or hills of New England or Colorado, the ocean and being in fairly remote forests for fun. And the lack of good Mom and Pop restaurants or at least a good number of them is something that the Indy area also lacks especially when comparing it to New England, NY and the Pittsburgh area. Aside from that, I find life there is quite agreeable.

Probably the most important advice I can give is the following. Please do not try to compare Indy to Boston or Pittsburgh. Two different animals. Look at the assets the area has to offer and try to work around the aspects you perceive as negative. I can get around the lack of good Mom and Pop restaurants by eating at home. And here in KC for example I will travel back to Connecticut or up to Iowa or Minnesota if I want to find better places to hike in a cooler climate than I find in KC. This is the best way to approach this move. Indy is Indy and as someone else pointed out, it does not put on any phony airs or pretentious attitudes. If you want those characteristics then by all means give Kansas City a look. These people are as phony as a 4$ bill, especially most of the women.

Edit. I should also add that here in KC over the years I've been sexually harassed, harassed by people in and outside of work. I've had gay guys try to pick me up and I'm not gay. I was even being stalked by some creep (weirdo woman) that I run into through work frequently. Never experienced this kind of behavior in Indy while living and working there.
Great info. However are you planning on moving back to Indy cause of the reasons you described above?

Old 09-08-2011, 01:53 PM

12 posts, read 39,939 times
Please, get over yourself. I lived in KC for a couple years and while it wasn't my favorite place, it was fine. There are is no specific breed of women, ready to catch and haul you back to their cave, and neither are there super aggressive gays hunting down delicate heterosexual prey. While it is smackdab in the middle of the bible belt, there is a young and vibrant society out there. Maybe you just socialize with the wrong crowd.

I seriously do not get all this. Sure, you can't find the same things here as in NYC, DC, or San Francisco, but it is not the moon either. You will get as much out of a location as you are willing to put in. If you want to camp out every weekend you'll have to drive a bit, but there are enough possibilities for that here. Sure, it's not WV, but that's just something you'll have to live with. That, or move. And the same goes for everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis