Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 01:24 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I would take the development in downtown Cincinnati over what is happening in Indy. Plus, the new streetcar is going to start construction at the end of the year. That's another $100 million. Did you do extensive research on what is going on in Cincinnati, or just call it quits after reading a little bit and thinking you knew what was going on? Take a walk though Cincinnati's neighborhoods that border downtown and can be considered a part of downtown and let me know how Indy ranks then.

Indy has a convention dominated downtown. It is very chainy. Downtown Cincinnati is the opposite.
There are over 200 restaurants in downtown Indianapolis, do you really think all of them are chains? the same chains that exist in oh, downtown Cincinnati?

Again, Cincy is more scenic, no one here would ever argue that but downtown Cincy and downtown Indy is a bit of a gap between them right now. Other parts of town vs. other parts of town yes, some maybe even a lot Cincy would win, but downtown, it's Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 08:07 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Plus, the new streetcar is going to start construction at the end of the year. That's another $100 million.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kasich turn away the federal money for the streetcar and, as a result, hasn't the route been cut down significantly? I mean, if that's the case, is it really even worth it?

Old 11-13-2011, 02:46 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,904,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kasich turn away the federal money for the streetcar and, as a result, hasn't the route been cut down significantly? I mean, if that's the case, is it really even worth it?
Well, I guess this proves what I am trying to say here. Do some research people, the streetcar is going to start $15 million dollars worth of streetscaping to get ready for the streetcar starying at the end of the year. The first line from Fountain Square to Findlay Market in OTR is expected to be completed by 2013. The streetcar got voted on, and passed for a third time.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
There's the difference, it seems according to you and then there's actual projects as listed. Which one has more credibility? Like I said, Indianapolis has more construction going on in ONE quad than all of downtown Columbus. The thing is CBus doesn't bring anything more to the table and quite honestly brings less. It's not a better sports city, convention city, tourism city, fewer restaurants, hotels, entertainment, even the government is worse with both being state capitals. The only thing CBus has over Indianapolis are it's inner-city neighborhoods.
City neighborhoods make up a city, not just its downtown. You are going off one site and think you know everything that is happening in Columbus, especially the downtown. So how do you think you can sit there and say more in happing in ONE section of Indy of Columbus? Because from what I have seen, more in happening in downtown Columbus over downtown Indy, and have been to both recently. I like downtown Indy more, but Columbus is picking up pace pretty quickly. So while Columbus spends billions in downtown, it will develop more quickly than Indy trying to make its neighborhoods up-to-par with Columbus'. Columbus not being a better sports city is completely subjective. That's great, Indy host plenty of conventions. Restaurants and hotels do not make up a city, and I think entertainment in Columbus is far superior to Indy.

How is Indy's government better than Columbus'?

Old 11-13-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
There are over 200 restaurants in downtown Indianapolis, do you really think all of them are chains? the same chains that exist in oh, downtown Cincinnati?

Again, Cincy is more scenic, no one here would ever argue that but downtown Cincy and downtown Indy is a bit of a gap between them right now. Other parts of town vs. other parts of town yes, some maybe even a lot Cincy would win, but downtown, it's Indianapolis.
Did I say they were all chains? I said most/a lot of downtown Indianapolis is chains. Yes, I know the same chains exist in Cincy.

This is CD and people make it know what their opinions are. This topic is completely subjective, and I like downtown Cincinnati more. The density, the tight streets, the walkability, the lack of surface parking lots, the riverfront parks, all the new big projects (the new streetcar that will link these projects), and OTR. I don't care that Cincinnati is more scenic, I hate driving in Cincinnati and Pittsburgh because of the topography. Although it does offer the neighborhoods that are around great views of the city.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:07 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Indy does love the chain restaurants. What amazes me is that so many people support the chains rather than the local restaurants. Far too many of the local places are in danger of folding, and some have already closed. I guess people here love their Applebees and and Olive Garden.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess this proves what I am trying to say here. Do some research people, the streetcar is going to start $15 million dollars worth of streetscaping to get ready for the streetcar starying at the end of the year. The first line from Fountain Square to Findlay Market in OTR is expected to be completed by 2013. The streetcar got voted on, and passed for a third time.
So, I was correct. The route has been cut down.

The nearly $100 million streetcar line is planned to run from downtown's Government Square, the city's main public bus transfer point, to Findlay Market, the Ohio's oldest continuously operated public market.
Plans originally called to connect the Ohio River banks with a spur to the University of Cincinnati, but earlier this year newly-elected Gov. John Kasich withdrew $55 million earlier allocated to the project.
Despite the reduction, the route will be four-miles long with five streetcars and stops every two blocks. But backers hope that is only a start.

After key votes, Cincinnati streetcar project moves forward | Reuters

Stops every two blocks? That should be a massive success. I like rail myself as I use it frequently in Chicago, but if you're going to have stops every two blocks, you might as well just make it a bus route and save the money. The detractors of this plan over in the Cincy forum are correct, IMO.

Hopefully Indy Connect avoids this kind of stupidity.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Far too many of the local places are in danger of folding, and some have already closed.
Some that have closed deserved to close. Not every independent is worth saving.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:28 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
City neighborhoods make up a city, not just its downtown. You are going off one site and think you know everything that is happening in Columbus, especially the downtown. So how do you think you can sit there and say more in happing in ONE section of Indy of Columbus? Because from what I have seen, more in happening in downtown Columbus over downtown Indy, and have been to both recently. I like downtown Indy more, but Columbus is picking up pace pretty quickly. So while Columbus spends billions in downtown, it will develop more quickly than Indy trying to make its neighborhoods up-to-par with Columbus'. Columbus not being a better sports city is completely subjective. That's great, Indy host plenty of conventions. Restaurants and hotels do not make up a city, and I think entertainment in Columbus is far superior to Indy.

You say go off one site, if that's your site for promoting your downtown, they are going to be up to date, if it's not then they would suck at advertising downtown columbus wouldn't they? The thing about eyes is that they deceive you. Everything going up at IUPUI, 5th tower at Riley, New Wishard, 16 Tech project just now started, IU Health building can't remember which building it is off of 16th by Methodist, Angies List, Dolce, IVY Tech restoration of the Old St. V hospital. The thing is, all of these are outside of the Mile Square so unless you head over by the Hospitals, you may not see it, or head East on Washington, or down by Lilly or traverse the IUPUI campus.

Hotels and Restaurants do not make up a city, it does point to the vibrancy of an area. Supply and demand. CBus lacks the demand of Indy, KC, STL and other cities which is why it has fewer hotel rooms in its downtown core.

Government was in reference to state government, not local government.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:43 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Quote:

Well the part about more happening in downtown Columbus over Indy is just wrong. I do agree that it will take Indy a long time to develop its neighborhoods, which currently suck. I find Indianapolis neighborhoods pathetic. There is really just downtown and Broad Ripple with a few more dense neighborhoods on the North and East sides. Hell, Carmel has probably become the third most active neighborhood in Indianapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis