Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
This comment shows how little you truly know about Indianapolis. Hamilton County to the north of Marion County (Indianapolis) is one of the fastest growing counties in the country. It includes the suburbs of Carmel, Fishers, Westfield, and Noblesville. All of these are the upper class suburbs, especially Carmel. The suburban area also extend into Hendricks, Johnson, and Boone counties, which contain the suburbs of Avon, Plainfield, Greenwood, and Zionsville. So all in all, I don't see how the vast majority of metro Indy is contained in Marion County. The metro area is 1.75 million, while Marion County is 900K. That means slightly over 50% of the metro is in Marion county, while the rest live in the suburbs. I'd call that pretty evenly split. I also don't see how KC's suburbs are superior to Indy's. What suburb in KC is better than Carmel (The Urbanophile » Blog Archive » Next American Suburb: Carmel, Indiana) or Zionsville for that matter?

Also, Indiana holds Indianapolis back in many regards too. An example of that would be mass transit. I forgot to mention stupid policies like gun carrying laws, planned parenthood funding, and constitutional gay marriage bans.
It was a compliment, not an insult. Having more of your suburban areas in your primary county/city helps and having all your suburbs in one state really helps. I know there are suburbs outside of Marion, but trust me, it’s not liking having suburbs in a different state, yet only blocks from the core of Indy.

KC’s suburbs are some of the nicest in the nation, even the ones on the Kansas side. Indy has nice ones to, but I just prefer KC’s. Lee’s Summit for example has a nice downtown, while it’s suburban areas are set in hilly, wooded areas or in many of the lake communities.

So while KC has nicer suburbs, one of the reasons the KS side ones are so nice is because they have so many high paying white collar jobs that used to be in kcmo. So it's a double edged sword.

Lee's Summit, MO:
//www.city-data.com/forum/kansa...summit-mo.html

Overland Park, KS

Last edited by kcmo; 10-21-2011 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 10:21 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Economically, Indy is probably more powerful. KC is a much more attractive city though. I like how these Indy boosters try to take away the fact that KC has the plaza.

Can't claim Plaza! Not in downtown zipcode!

Old 10-21-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Economically, Indy is probably more powerful. KC is a much more attractive city though. I like how these Indy boosters try to take away the fact that KC has the plaza.

Can't claim Plaza! Not in downtown zipcode!
Indy is closing the gap, but hasn't passed KC yet.

Kansas City, MO-KS $94,163,000,000

Indianapolis-Carmel, IN $88,005,000,000

Why does Indy have a high GDP relative to their population? Does it have to do with it having a lot of distrubution centers?

Old 10-22-2011, 05:38 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Well first off I simply enjoy choosing a side and debating cities, so nothing personal.

I'm sure we will never convince each other that one city is better than the other, I'm just voicing my opinions and respect yours.

But to back up my opinions, KC has MLB and with that 80 days of major league baseball. IMO MLB is the most important sport because it truly adds to the quality of life of a city. I simply enjoy going to the ballpark often. I love NFL, but they only play 16 times and there is nothing like catching a MLB game in the summer. KC has NFL, MLB, MLS minor league hockey/indoor soccer/baseball and a racetrack, plus college sports. Indy has more college sports and NBA, but no MLS or MLB. MLB alone is enough to give KC the edge, even if barely.

Location. Baltimore is very near DC, Philly and is close to NYC and many other cities plus the mountains of PA, WV etc and the Atlantic Ocean and a ton of historic sites, amusement parks etc. Baltimore blows away KC and Indy as far as location goes. While I like Indy's proximity to Chicago, Cincy, StL etc, I don't like the area Indy is in. I generally like Missouri better than Indiana, especially Indiana around Indy. KC is close to StL and close enough to Colorado, but I like the setting of KC and western MO, so I give KC the edge there.

And finally, I just think there is more to do in KC as far as things I like to do. I mentioned KC has a decent amusement park, you have to drive to Cincy or something, I personally think KC has better museums and arts venues and I like KC's general aesthetics/architecture better and I like KC's suburbs better.

But Indy is a fine city. I would have no problem living there at all. Just wish you had MLB
Baseball isn't near what it used to be and yes right now football is king followed by basketball. Indy does have minor league baseball and hockey though and of course college. Yes KC has a racetrack but let's face it, comparing that to IMS well...Indy of course is king of racing, the 500 (largest single attended event on the planet), Brickyard (2nd most attended event on the planet but still second in importance to Daytona in NASCAR but more people), NHRA National Championships, MotoGP. Then you add all of the amateur sporting events the city hosts. It's a sports city encompassing ALL sports and not just professional sports.

As far as location, the closest thing to KC is Topeka, then Wichita. Go out 4 hours and you add St. Louis, Des Moines and Omaha. Five hours you are in Tulsa and the outskirts of OKC. Four hours from Indy you are in Chicago, Cincy, STL, Louisville, CBus and just outside Grand Rapids and Milwaukee. Go out 5 hours you add GR, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Knoxville, Detroit all while covering smaller areas like Lexington, Dayton, Madison and Akron.

Can't argue with the natural topography between Western MO and Central Indiana. As far as Museums, KC doesn't have anything that matches Indianapolis Childrens Museum esp. for that Genre, Nelson-Atkins and IMA our both General Art Museums with Atkins having 33.5k permanent collection and IMA having 54k permanent collection (9th oldest and 8th largest General Art). Both are free. Atkins has the Sculpture park (22 acres). Indy has 100 Acres urban art park which is well 100 acres, Oldfields Estate (26 acres) and of course the original 26 acre grounds for a total of 152 acre IMA. IMA just doesn't get the pub like Children's or even the Eiteljorg.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Why does Indy have a high GDP relative to their population? Does it have to do with it having a lot of distrubution centers?
GDP has nothing to do with distribution centers. It doesn't really have anything to do with sales. It's simply goods/services produced by the labor force over a given period of time. Doesn't count when it's sold. GDP is relevant because it normally points to supply and demand. No one is going to produce in abundance if they know they can't sell it. Is it the end all be all like a lot of people here think on C-D think? No seeing as it's always 2 years behind.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:41 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:

Crossroads of America=Major Trucking Center.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:29 AM

261 posts, read 501,009 times
Quote:

But to back up my opinions, KC has MLB and with that 80 days of major league baseball. IMO MLB is the most important sport because it truly adds to the quality of life of a city. I simply enjoy going to the ballpark often. I love NFL, but they only play 16 times and there is nothing like catching a MLB game in the summer. KC has NFL, MLB, MLS minor league hockey/indoor soccer/baseball and a racetrack, plus college sports. Indy has more college sports and NBA, but no MLS or MLB. MLB alone is enough to give KC the edge, even if barely.

Wait a second, you mention that KC has a "racetrack", yet you leave out the fact that Indy has the most famous racetrack in the world?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy18 View Post
Wait a second, you mention that KC has a "racetrack", yet you leave out the fact that Indy has the most famous racetrack in the world?
I thought it was obvious about Indy, I was just pointing out that KC had one in case you didn't know.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Baseball isn't near what it used to be and yes right now football is king followed by basketball. Indy does have minor league baseball and hockey though and of course college. Yes KC has a racetrack but let's face it, comparing that to IMS well...Indy of course is king of racing, the 500 (largest single attended event on the planet), Brickyard (2nd most attended event on the planet but still second in importance to Daytona in NASCAR but more people), NHRA National Championships, MotoGP. Then you add all of the amateur sporting events the city hosts. It's a sports city encompassing ALL sports and not just professional sports.

As far as location, the closest thing to KC is Topeka, then Wichita. Go out 4 hours and you add St. Louis, Des Moines and Omaha. Five hours you are in Tulsa and the outskirts of OKC. Four hours from Indy you are in Chicago, Cincy, STL, Louisville, CBus and just outside Grand Rapids and Milwaukee. Go out 5 hours you add GR, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Nashville, Knoxville, Detroit all while covering smaller areas like Lexington, Dayton, Madison and Akron.

Can't argue with the natural topography between Western MO and Central Indiana. As far as Museums, KC doesn't have anything that matches Indianapolis Childrens Museum esp. for that Genre, Nelson-Atkins and IMA our both General Art Museums with Atkins having 33.5k permanent collection and IMA having 54k permanent collection (9th oldest and 8th largest General Art). Both are free. Atkins has the Sculpture park (22 acres). Indy has 100 Acres urban art park which is well 100 acres, Oldfields Estate (26 acres) and of course the original 26 acre grounds for a total of 152 acre IMA. IMA just doesn't get the pub like Children's or even the Eiteljorg.
I'll give you Children's, nice place. KC has a lot of really well done museums though, all are a very nice.

The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum
The American Jazz Museum
The Steamboat Arabia Museum
The World War I Museum
The Kemper Museum of Modern Art
The NCAA College Basketball Experience
The Truman Library and Museum
The Truman Home
The Toy and Miniature Museum
Science City at Union Station
You mentioned the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art

As far as baseball not being what it was? People that are not into MLB (or from cities without teams) like to say that. People in KC don't care about NBA or NHL, but they would if they had a team. Spend some time in Chicago, St Louis, Milwaukee, Dallas, San Fran, Boston, Minneapolis etc and tell me MLB is not popular. Even in places like KC and DC and Baltimore and Pittsburgh where the teams suck and they are near the bottom of the league in attendance, MLB teams draw 3-4 times the people to games than NFL. Sure it’s more games, but if people didn’t like baseball, 20,000-40,000 would show on a near daily basis in cities to watch it. People still enjoy going to MLB game and they still do it in droves. NFL is more focused on specific days while MLB is more spread out so NFL seems more popular while it's going on, but when you look at the big picture, MLB is just as , if not more popular.

The bottom line is that MLB and NFL are the two most popular sports to have and KC has them both and in my personally preference, having a MLB park to take my kids or meet up with friends at during the summer is a huge deal breaker for the quality of life of a city. Others may never go to a game. So that’s personal preference.

As far as the location of Indy, You just said what I already said. I like Indy’s location relative to other cities, but don’t like its immediate location very well. I prefer the more green and rolling topography of KC. This may be more of a tie I guess, but I would prefer to live in a city I see every day that is in a pretty area (not that KC is anywhere near the best in that regard, but it’s better than Indy IMO). And as I mentioned, Colorado is within easy reach of KC. Would go there 2-3 times a year while in KC. So for those reasons, I give KC a slight edge.

Last edited by kcmo; 10-22-2011 at 09:33 AM..

Old 10-22-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Populations 2010 Census
Indy MSA - 1,756,241
Kansas City - 2,035,334

Media Market Size
Indianapolis - 25th
Kansas City - 31st

Revised GDP for 2010
Indianapolis - 105,163
Kansas City - 105,968

Real GDP for 2010
Indianapolis - 92,804
Kansas City - 96,039

Real Per Capita GDP
Indianapolis - 52,704
Kansas City - 47,072

Quantity Indexes Real GDP for 2010
Indianapolis - 104.667
Kansas City - 104.407

Now 300k give or take for an MSA of these sizes doesn't make or break an area as that is still relatively close in size. Breaking it down though, Indy being in the middle and caught between (CBus, Cincy, Dayton, Louisville, Fort Wayne, South Bend and Chicago Media markets) to still be larger than KC which doesn't have nearly the competition for airwaves says a lot. As far as GDP, KC having the larger metro should have the larger Gross GDP but looking at the 2010 numbers, topped with the real per capita GDP, Indy's economy is a little bit more than slightly better than KC right now. Amenities wise, both cities offer the same thing which is the same as all other cities. Indy has more name recognition across the globe than KC due to amateur sports, racing and international events like Drum Corp International, International violin competition. and conservation such as the Indianapolis prize (largest animal conservation award given in the world by the Indianapolis Zoo). KC, overall def. has better food, esp. BBQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis