Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times

Advertisements

Irsay is using the terms "rebuilding" and "a new era" just like he did back in 1998 when he fired the head coach, general manager and replaced the quarterback with the number one draft pick.

So now he has fired the general manager and head coach, and will be taking Andrew Luck as the number one draft pick.

What about Peyton? My guess all along was that if Caldwell remained as head coach, Peyton would stay, but if Caldwell was fired the Colts would move on to the new era without Peyton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:22 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Irsay is using the terms "rebuilding" and "a new era" just like he did back in 1998 when he fired the head coach, general manager and replaced the quarterback with the number one draft pick.

So now he has fired the general manager and head coach, and will be taking Andrew Luck as the number one draft pick.

What about Peyton? My guess all along was that if Caldwell remained as head coach, Peyton would stay, but if Caldwell was fired the Colts would move on to the new era without Peyton.
While I hope for the miracle, i.e. Peyton staying at least another year and mentoring Luck, I think sadly we've seen the last of him. I remember Dungy recently saying that Manning is a creature of habit. Not sure even if he's healthy by Mar 1, that he'd want to stay and learn a whole new offense at this stage of his career.

Timing is everything...would have loved to have seen Captain Comeback be the successor to Caldwell.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:35 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Harbaugh coming back to Indy wouldn't be surprising for him personally ... his BIL and sister are in Bloomington. But he's got a great thing in SF ...

Old 01-18-2012, 11:15 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
IT all depends on the Draft. If they draft a quarterback with their 1st pick then that will mark the beginning of the end of the Payton Manning era. I know a lot of you Colts fans don't want to hear that but that's probably the truth.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:14 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
IT all depends on the Draft. If they draft a quarterback with their 1st pick then that will mark the beginning of the end of the Payton Manning era. I know a lot of you Colts fans don't want to hear that but that's probably the truth.
I had been thinking that we wouldn't see Peyton on the field again here since the last surgery. But I am very much looking forward to the start of the Andrew Luck era.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
IT all depends on the Draft. If they draft a quarterback with their 1st pick then that will mark the beginning of the end of the Payton Manning era.
I don't think it is a secret that it depends on the draft, and Andrew Luck is available. In other news, I heard that Peyton Manning is due a lot of money in March.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:31 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
As the end of the Joe Montana, Joe Namath, Brett Favre, and John Unitas eras, sadly Peytons time in Indy seems to be coming to an end.

It is always difficult and sad to realize that an era is coming to an end----Peyton Manning has defined the Colts for about 15 years now. This is a monumental business decision the Colts have to make, and it would be a franchise choking one if they choose to carry a $20M qb as a mentor.

It is still quite uncertain if Peyton can ever return to the field---------he is a fighter and the odds are, if he gets medical clearance, that indeed he will play again.

I think Colts fans need to truly understand what a predicament that franchise is in right now. They have to make a very real but unpopular decision shortly-------I think that their fans need to understand what many other franchises have, that it is a shattering decision to tell fans of a guy who has made the franchise that it is time to move on.

My guess is that they will decide to move on with Luck and take the growing pains along with it. Indy fans----you have been fortunate to have had an era with Peyton----not that many franchises have had the good fortune of going through an era with a hall of famer.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:07 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,761,065 times
I hope for Peyton's sake he can continue to play a few more years. If not, I hope he is the offensive coodinator for the Colts or at least the QB coach.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
I hope for Peyton's sake he can continue to play a few more years. If not, I hope he is the offensive coodinator for the Colts or at least the QB coach.
I was thinking the same thing. If he doesn't play for the Colts, would it be a possibility they will pick him up as some coordinator or a coach. I think they would. Obviously the guy is talented. The big question is whether Peyton would stay if they offered something like that to him. I sure hope so.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:34 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
I don't see Manning in team management. I see him as a commentator. He's not a behind the scenes kind of guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis