Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:22 PM

37 posts, read 75,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
The only way to get better and to provide the service that people really want is to change your QB...which means creating a comprehensive strategy to revitalize neighborhoods along corridors in a dense development pattern...improving stop spacing, number of routes, and frequency of service as you go.
Amen.

This is actually what is beginning to happen. People are focusing on the neighborhoods. I agree that that will make all the difference. I have always thought that the problem with Indygo is they are still functioning like its Indy circa 1960. And bus transit in Indy during the middle of the century did nothing more than follow the routes that the trolley's & interurbans used in the early part of the century. Until Indianapolis starts viewing transit like a university views their sidewalks (pour the concrete where the students walk, not where the landscape artist plans tell you to pour) this city will have neither strong neighborhoods or effective mass transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
(1)I don't disagree with you there. Some things can be done to create better efficiency, namely your suggestion of use of the freeways to create commuter stops would positively impact ridership in a cost-effective manner...

...(2)I'm going to beat the dead horse yet again and talk density...

(3)To borrow from the Peyton Manning and just getting it done analogy: the issue is that Indy isn't working with Peyton Manning set of circumstances. They're working with a 1985 Colts / Mike Pagel set of circumstances...

...And with that, I will never use Mike Pagel as an analogy for transit ever again...too many bad memories from 25 years ago. So yes, it's sad that transit is so inefficient in Indianapolis, but no matter what strategies are developed, don't expect that level of efficiency to increase appreciably...(5)unless China is feeling particularly generous and wants to dump $50 billion into Indy infrastructure with all of those T-bills sitting in vaults.

I can't give you more points. Not until I spread some around first.

1. It really is boggling, isn't it? The city/state pouring all this money into the interstates and they can't even put a couple busses on 465, 65, 69, and 70? And to readily admit that the city is completely auto driven, and then not have any attempt of public transit trying to take advantage of it's greatest transit option is perplexing, to say the least.

2. And this really boils down to the, "Chicken or the Egg?" question. Density or Transit: which comes first?

Without "proper" density, you can't have "proper" transit.

Without the "proper" transit, you can't sustain the "proper" density.

Transit options afford more opportunities to a wider range of people, entertainment, businesses, etc.

If there was NO 465, 74, 70, 69, 65 Interstate highway, would the city have 800,000+ people? Would the Metro area be able to break 1,000,000?

And to relate it back to the Super Bowl, would that game, let alone an NFL team be in a city without an interstate(s) and/or airport?

3. I can't recall much of the Colts' earlier years in Indianapolis, but I know for a fact that my Dad always called him F---------- Pagel.

But Pagel didn't make up the entirety of what was wrong with the Colts during those years. He certainly played a part in it, but he was not the only reason why the Colts didn't really start to turn things in an acceptable direction until Peyton arrived. And what happened? The organization started to **gasp** build around Peyton.

And they won the Super Bowl. And then they got to host a Super Bowl.

If Indianapolis and Indiana (the Cross Roads of America) start to build around what they're good at, they can become the next economic powerhouse... which brings me to...

5. ...The unused grass between the interstates in Indiana. It is a gold mine. The state can MAKE OIL using what is between those interstate lanes. And it can refine it. Which means creating jobs, which means people want to move there to get jobs, which means they need a place to spend money, which means people need to create jobs, etc., etc., etc. The money is a non-issue when people let the free market decide the economy.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:01 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
UPDATE! Indianapolis on verge of another Super Bowl bid | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
sweet deal! i knew this would happen! God Bless Indy and its wonderful to see our city go for another super bowl.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:33 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
UPDATE! Indianapolis on verge of another Super Bowl bid | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com
sweet deal! i knew this would happen! God Bless Indy and its wonderful to see our city go for another super bowl.
So if God blesses Indy with another Super Bowl bid, do they hate the city that doesn't get it?

Old 07-17-2012, 03:45 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,859,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
So if God blesses Indy with another Super Bowl bid, do they hate the city that doesn't get it?
For some reason I am thinking God has more important things to do besides deciding which city gets a Super Bowl.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:40 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,060,863 times
Forget the Super Bowl... I'd settle for some rain!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:13 PM

583 posts, read 885,035 times
Quote:
What does God have to do with a football game?

Old 07-17-2012, 06:15 PM
REM

368 posts, read 995,351 times
Quote:
Calm down, we only bidding for a chance to play, it's not like it's official. Even if it was we would still have to wait until 2016.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,516,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Forget the Super Bowl... I'd settle for some rain!!!
heard we finally got some rain so prayers answered.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,060,863 times
Quote:
heard we finally got some rain so prayers answered.
Negative Ghostrider! It looked good... it sounded good... but not a single drop!!! All bark and NO bite....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis