Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:58 AM

9 posts, read 21,281 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone--I may be moving to Indy to work at IUPUI, and I'm not really familiar with the neighborhoods. I'm looking for a mid-century style home. I'm hoping to get opinions on the area around Spring Mill-Kessler Blvd-Broadmoore Country Club, as well as the Devonshire-East Avalon Hills area. I've found some really nice mid-century homes at good prices in both of these areas. I also have two children, one of which will be starting school next year, so schools are another concern. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 10:17 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanlooc View Post
Hi everyone--I may be moving to Indy to work at IUPUI, and I'm not really familiar with the neighborhoods. I'm looking for a mid-century style home. I'm hoping to get opinions on the area around Spring Mill-Kessler Blvd-Broadmoore Country Club, as well as the Devonshire-East Avalon Hills area. I've found some really nice mid-century homes at good prices in both of these areas. I also have two children, one of which will be starting school next year, so schools are another concern. Any thoughts?
IPS isn't the greatest school in the metro but it does have the most resources. If you know how to play your cards right IPS actually isn't to bad of a school. They do have Magnet and Charter Schools avaiable and under a new Indiana law passed last year if you are lower income you can qualify for a School Voucher to go to a Private School.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
IPS isn't the greatest school in the metro but it does have the most resources. If you know how to play your cards right IPS actually isn't to bad of a school. They do have Magnet and Charter Schools avaiable and under a new Indiana law passed last year if you are lower income you can qualify for a School Voucher to go to a Private School.
None of the areas the OP asked about are in the IPS district. Please stop spamming our boards with bad info. You don't even live here.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:05 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,055,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
None of the areas the OP asked about are in the IPS district. Please stop spamming our boards with bad info. You don't even live here.
Do tell.. Where does Broadrippleguy live?

Old 02-04-2012, 12:48 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,148,086 times
Both of those should be Washington Township so North Central. Pretty decent areas but neither with a direct route into downtown working at IUPUI.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:12 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Both of those should be Washington Township so North Central. Pretty decent areas but neither with a direct route into downtown working at IUPUI.
Are there good neighborhoods near I-65 then that the OP could look at?
I-65 is a direct route to IUPUI.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Are there good neighborhoods near I-65 then that the OP could look at?
I-65 is a direct route to IUPUI.
I-65 would put the op in Pike Township. Some older homes off of 79th but more expensive. Plenty of cookie cutters just west of Intech Park in the low end to exclusive but not what the OP is wanting.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:25 PM

Looking at map, I didn't think the Spring Mill area was so far. It looks like I could take N Michigan all the way down. From Avalon, I thought I could take Fall Creek into town. Also, I just looked at a township map, and it looks like Avalon Hills is in Lawrence Township. Is IPS in the area below Washington Township (Center?)?

Old 02-04-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanlooc View Post
Looking at map, I didn't think the Spring Mill area was so far. It looks like I could take N Michigan all the way down. From Avalon, I thought I could take Fall Creek into town. Also, I just looked at a township map, and it looks like Avalon Hills is in Lawrence Township. Is IPS in the area below Washington Township (Center?)?
Center Township is south of Washington Township. Part of of Washington Township is IPS school district though. I believe there is an IPS elementary school right at 49th and Boulevard (been a while) and I know the kids who live along 44th Street behind Ross Hall and Fraternity row on Butler's Campus attend Northwest which is an IPS high school. Part of Meridian-Kessler which is adjacent to Butler-Tarkington (East of Meridian, BT is West of Meridian) also attends IPS schools.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 PM

I live in Louisville right now, and there are parts of town with great neighborhoods and terrible schools. There are really only a handful of good schools in the whole system. Within IPS, are there specific areas or schools that are good, or is it generally a train wreck? I've heard good things about CFI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis