Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:54 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,926 times

Advertisements

All that I'm confused about is that if you are an upper-middle class family, why not live on the North Side or Downtown? Broad Ripple and Downtown are both nice, safe, urban areas. If you prefer suburban living, why not look at Zionsville, Carmel, and Fishers. These areas are all nicer than the South Side and Greenwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:39 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
All that I'm confused about is that if you are an upper-middle class family, why not live on the North Side or Downtown? Broad Ripple and Downtown are both nice, safe, urban areas. If you prefer suburban living, why not look at Zionsville, Carmel, and Fishers. These areas are all nicer than the South Side and Greenwood.
Have you ever thought that some of us prefer the south side since it is cheaper and safer? An executive home in Franklin Township which runs between 325-400k is about 600k on the north side for a smaller lot on top of that. You do realize the south side has those things right? Granted Center Grove is way out of the way but those same executive homes, same as found in Carmel are about 15-20% cheaper and less crime, larger lots. Better destinations outside of the city are south and not north unless you count Anderson a hot tourist destination . Not on the same level as Columbus, Bloomington or Brown County but I'm sure the folks in Muncie and Kokomo would think differently.

Not to beat a dead horse but uh, Broad Ripple isn't exactly the safest area to be in. How many kids have been shot at the high school over the years? Two what makes you think the op wants urban? Urban isn't better than suburban just like suburban isn't better than urban. It's a matter of preference and seeing as nationwide, central Indiana included, most people move to suburban areas by an overwhelming majority so it appears most preference tends to be toward suburban communities. Three, outside of Center Township, Indianapolis is urban in designation only. It lacks what many would consider to be true urban characteristics and has a more suburban feel to it from top to bottom.

Last edited by msamhunter; 04-09-2012 at 12:47 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 03:05 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
.... Broad Ripple isn't exactly the safest area to be in. How many kids have been shot at the high school over the years?
I'm struggling to remember the last time a student was shot inside BRHS. Can you provide a link to stats? You can certainly find instances over the years of BRHS students being shot to death, but you have to remember that BRHS takes in students from many areas outside of the village. Just because a student attends BRHS doesn't mean they're a village resident, nor does it mean they live in an area adjacent to the village.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:52 PM

42 posts, read 167,727 times
Always a thread with people defending Greenwood tooth and nail. Greenwood has turned into nothing but sprawl and cheap housing. Most apts, housing around the mall are completely trashy. I am finally getting my mother to move out of Greenwood after 30 years.

People get killed all over town. Just look at the murder map. If you aren't selling drugs, or a thug chances are you won't get murdered.

To OP if you like more urban living check out Fountain Square, Broad Ripple or Irvington. Just depends on if you can deal with a bit of rift/raft or not. Or are you more interested in the burbs? Beech Grove is full of rednecks. As is most of the south side. Fountain Square has changed a good amount in the past 5-6 years becoming nicer, more diverse and a bit safer.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastie View Post
Beech Grove is full of rednecks. As is most of the south side.
Elitist, are we??

Old 04-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Have you ever thought that some of us prefer the south side since it is cheaper and safer? An executive home in Franklin Township which runs between 325-400k is about 600k on the north side for a smaller lot on top of that. You do realize the south side has those things right? Granted Center Grove is way out of the way but those same executive homes, same as found in Carmel are about 15-20% cheaper and less crime, larger lots. Better destinations outside of the city are south and not north unless you count Anderson a hot tourist destination . Not on the same level as Columbus, Bloomington or Brown County but I'm sure the folks in Muncie and Kokomo would think differently.
The south side is not safer. You can twist the statistics to make it seem that way, but it reality, it's not true. What area of the south side compares to the Meridian-Kessler or Butler-Tarkington neighborhoods on the north side? That's right, none. And where on the south side is there a safer than those two north side neighborhoods? Probably nowhere. Yes, there are definitely rough areas on the north side, but the nicest neighborhoods on the north side are significantly nicer than the nicest areas on the south side.

I'm not sure if I'm reading part of this correctly or not, but are you suggesting that Center Grove is safer than Carmel? I'm not saying that it couldn't be, but I'd like to see some kind of evidence. The biggest problem the southern suburbs have is that they will all be run down and trashy in a few decades. Carmel and Zionsville have high property values, so they won't ever become run down. Every other Indianapolis suburb has a potential to see a significant downturn.

Quote:
Not to beat a dead horse but uh, Broad Ripple isn't exactly the safest area to be in. How many kids have been shot at the high school over the years? Two what makes you think the op wants urban? Urban isn't better than suburban just like suburban isn't better than urban. It's a matter of preference and seeing as nationwide, central Indiana included, most people move to suburban areas by an overwhelming majority so it appears most preference tends to be toward suburban communities. Three, outside of Center Township, Indianapolis is urban in designation only. It lacks what many would consider to be true urban characteristics and has a more suburban feel to it from top to bottom.
One, Broad Ripple is plenty safe. Most people that have ever lived in an urban area would feel fine walking through Broad Ripple at 2AM. Secondly, I didn't say the OP wanted urban, I suggested that if they want urban, to look at Downtown and Broad Ripple. If you look at my post, you'll see I continue by mentioning Carmel, Zionsville, and Fishers. Thirdly, the trend is reversing and more people are starting to move towards urban areas because of high gas prices and the convenience of it. Lastly, outside of Center Township and maybe the Fashion Mall area, the City of Indianapolis is exactly what the south side will become. A slowly decaying dump.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
The south side is not safer. You can twist the statistics to make it seem that way, but it reality, it's not true. What area of the south side compares to the Meridian-Kessler or Butler-Tarkington neighborhoods on the north side? That's right, none. And where on the south side is there a safer than those two north side neighborhoods? Probably nowhere. Yes, there are definitely rough areas on the north side, but the nicest neighborhoods on the north side are significantly nicer than the nicest areas on the south side.

I'm not sure if I'm reading part of this correctly or not, but are you suggesting that Center Grove is safer than Carmel? I'm not saying that it couldn't be, but I'd like to see some kind of evidence. The biggest problem the southern suburbs have is that they will all be run down and trashy in a few decades. Carmel and Zionsville have high property values, so they won't ever become run down. Every other Indianapolis suburb has a potential to see a significant downturn.

One, Broad Ripple is plenty safe. Most people that have ever lived in an urban area would feel fine walking through Broad Ripple at 2AM. Secondly, I didn't say the OP wanted urban, I suggested that if they want urban, to look at Downtown and Broad Ripple. If you look at my post, you'll see I continue by mentioning Carmel, Zionsville, and Fishers. Thirdly, the trend is reversing and more people are starting to move towards urban areas because of high gas prices and the convenience of it. Lastly, outside of Center Township and maybe the Fashion Mall area, the City of Indianapolis is exactly what the south side will become. A slowly decaying dump.
Let me guess...You live in Carmel, don't you??

Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 PM

83 posts, read 180,822 times
I live in Beech Grove and am very happy here.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:

Very EASY to prove actually since IMPD keeps all of the stats available via the city's Web site. Feel free. Butler Grad = MSam, I've probably forgotten more about BT and MK than you'll ever know and the inner workings, hot spots. BTW: These are the ACTUAL reported numbers from IMPD. After you get out of certain pockets of south center, North Perry and extreme far south Warren practically EVERY neigborhood is safer than Broad Ripple on the South side. which is practically ALL of Franklin and Decatur, Far south Perry.

For the record:

Last 6 Months Reported Incidents (Official neighborhood boundaries)
Broad Ripple - 349 (Including 5 Death Investigations)
Butler - Tarkington -306
Meridian - Kessler - 241
Meridian Hills - 41
Allisonville - 211

Wanamaker - 23
Acton (Franklin Twp) - 43
Homecroft (Perry) - 5
Southport (Perry) - 60
South Franklin (Franklin twp) - 229
Southern Dunes - 100
Five Points (Franklin TWP) - 97

Some of the known higher crime areas:
Augusta-New Augusta (Pike) - 491
Fairgrounds - 402 (Center)
Meadows - 874 (Center)
Nora - 395
Near North - 868
Near NW - Riverside - 1561
Lafayette Sq - 443

I65 South Emerson - 380
Near South East - 2338
South Perry - 822
Southeast - 248
Southdale -310

Within 1 mile of a major Park (Eagle Creek, Sahm, Southeastway, Southwestway, Northwestway parks are city regional parks. They are the largest parks in the city. Parks like Holiday and Perry while larger are not official regional parks that make up the Indianapolis park system)

Sahm - 675
Eagle Creek (Flagship) - 885
Holiday Park - 392
Broad Ripple - 637
Northwestway - 576

Southeastway (Franklin) - 22
Southwestway (Decatur) - 72
Perry Park - (384)
Franklin Twp Community - 47
Garfield (Oldest) - 2170

Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Last 6 Months Reported Incidents (Official neighborhood boundaries)
Broad Ripple - 349 (Including 5 Death Investigations)
Butler - Tarkington -306
Meridian - Kessler - 241
Meridian Hills - 41
Allisonville - 211
Problem is, I wasn't doubting your statement that the south side is safer, I just said Broad Ripple isn't that dangerous. I guess you're right about Meridian Kessler and B-T because the numbers are higher than I thought.

Also, you literally addressed 0 of my points other than the crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis