Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Let me guess...You live in Carmel, don't you??
I am not from Carmel. I moved there during high school and don't honestly like it very much. That's why I live downtown now and am moving to a redeveloping area near 22nd and College (talk about rough).

The reason I make a statement that bold is because if you get down to it, you can see it's the truth. Exactly what makes Greenwood, Avon, and Plainfield, or even Fishers and Noblesville much different from the different suburban areas in Marion County? They all have the cookie cutter homes and low income apartments which will prove to damage those communities. Carmel, although it has some cookie cutter homes is home to a lot of mansions and neighborhoods with many high income households. It also has a downtown getting hundreds of millions of dollars pumped into it. Zionsville has a unique, old downtown surrounded by fairly expensive homes. It also has the high income neighborhoods, but even less cookie cutter houses than Carmel has.

All of the other suburbs contain many of the same characteristics of the old suburbs that are now a part of the city. I mean really, what's the big difference between Castleton/Nora, and Greenwood/Fishers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:19 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I am not from Carmel. I moved there during high school and don't honestly like it very much. That's why I live downtown now and am moving to a redeveloping area near 22nd and College (talk about rough).

The reason I make a statement that bold is because if you get down to it, you can see it's the truth. Exactly what makes Greenwood, Avon, and Plainfield, or even Fishers and Noblesville much different from the different suburban areas in Marion County? They all have the cookie cutter homes and low income apartments which will prove to damage those communities. Carmel, although it has some cookie cutter homes is home to a lot of mansions and neighborhoods with many high income households. It also has a downtown getting hundreds of millions of dollars pumped into it. Zionsville has a unique, old downtown surrounded by fairly expensive homes. It also has the high income neighborhoods, but even less cookie cutter houses than Carmel has.

All of the other suburbs contain many of the same characteristics of the old suburbs that are now a part of the city. I mean really, what's the big difference between Castleton/Nora, and Greenwood/Fishers?
To hit up a couple of your points. The only difference between BT and say Homecroft is the university. Both areas, aging population without an influx of younger people moving in. Both are residential in nature although the homecroft corridor has more commercial than BT in which you either are going down to 38th St or Westfield and Illinois area. BT is more working class than what people think. Homecroft is generally quieter due to not having drunk college students running around Thurs-Sun. IMPD patrols the homecroft area while BUPD patrols BT, granted they've had full police powers since the '90's but it's Butler University police, they're not scaring anyone away. Broad Ripple is actually different than the other two since it is more of a younger crowd. Not that there isn't an older population, but the demographics are completely different.

Over the past 5 maybe 10 years has greenwood been doing the whole cookie cutter deal and even then, it may not technically be Greenwood. The most build out is happening in Clark-Pleasant, which isn't greenwood technically but a huge chunk is Greenwood Police district. It's so intertwined to where you can list your address as Greenwood and be in Whiteland. Actually for High Speed Internet (CenturyLink or whatever it's called now) there are parts of Whiteland where you have to give a Greenwood name just to get the service or they will not come out. Greenwood physical limits is well over 60% mature neighborhoods, middle class in nature. The wealthy move out to Center Grove and beyond (think Tracy Rd, heading West past SR 135 and all the way east as far as SR 37 and further south past Whiteland Rd). There's also an older wealthier area if you were to take Franklin Rd South into Eastern Johnson County (also Greenwood police district). Other than that, outside of Franklin, Johnson County is rural as it gets. There are houses out in CG that will give any Carmel executive home a run for its money. Problem, you are OUT there away from everything whereas Carmel you are still somewhat close to civilization .

Downtown Greenwood is quaint, it's not Franklin that's for sure (Franklin > Carmel for me). Again, they haven't done anything with it in quite some time. Your huge points tend to be US 31 by the mall or Valle Vista area (which is nice once you get deep into it) right off of 65 and Main Street. There's also buzz around SR 135. Couple of nice restaurants in DT Greenwood and a hole in the wall bar. VanValer is downtown nice wedding place and small mom and pops. Typical small town feel really which has its own appeal, vastly different than Carmel and what Carmel is trying to do. Carmel thinks it should be the center of everything and Greenwood is perfectly happy deferring to Indianapolis and living up to its traditional suburban characteristics.

Fishers is a typical cookie cutter neighborhood.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post

I think one difference between Carmel and Greenwood, Fishers, Noblesville and other suburbs is that it has no low income or subsidized apartments. It is a fact that low income apartments bring down property values and cause other issues.

Carmel and Zionsville have active, thriving downtowns. Carmel's downtown area is packed on evenings and weekends. It's always a busy atmosphere, people walking everywhere and lined up to get in restaurants. The Monon is always very busy as it runs through Carmel with walkers, joggers and people on bikes and rollerblades. Besides Broadripple, I just haven't seen this level of activity in any other area of the city or suburb.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I think one difference between Carmel and Greenwood, Fishers, Noblesville and other suburbs is that it has no low income or subsidized apartments. It is a fact that low income apartments bring down property values and cause other issues.

Carmel and Zionsville have active, thriving downtowns. Carmel's downtown area is packed on evenings and weekends. It's always a busy atmosphere, people walking everywhere and lined up to get in restaurants. The Monon is always very busy as it runs through Carmel with walkers, joggers and people on bikes and rollerblades. Besides Broadripple, I just haven't seen this level of activity in any other area of the city or suburb.
Valle Vista has a lot of foot traffic. Not too many restaurants in the area but Golfing and skirts up to downtown Greenwood and infused into several Greenwood neighborhoods. There are actually more restaurants in the Greenwood vicinity due to the mall and mom and pops like Trattoria on Madison (downtown) or Oaken Barrel on Main Street (Valle Vista). Butcher right there (You'd buy a cow and they throw in the whole pig for free. Don't know if it's still open) and a neat little ice cream hole in the wall. Not too many places where you can safely walk from a restaurant to a theatre (AMC) in relative safety from car traffic.

Last edited by msamhunter; 04-11-2012 at 07:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis