Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:19 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times

Advertisements

OK, it's been almost 24 hours since the SCOTUS ruling and wanted to get a central Indiana perspective on opinions as to how you feel it would affect you.

For me, I have insurance so no tax ha ha! Sadly, so many people rely on political information from politicians instead of actually reading the ruling for themselves. First paragraph explicitly states the "tax" would incur only for those that do not have insurance (Guvment, Employer or Individual). Even the "tax" is tiered, $95 for first year, a little more for second year, a little more for third year and finally full implementation after the 4th year if a person still decides to not have some type of insurance. Theoretically esp. that first year, eat the $95 on taxes which will tick up tax liability by a couple of dollars at best but with all of the deductions and credits being utilized year in and year out normally means a person will get back a few dollars less.

What does that mean for say Indianapolis. Could it mean the new Wishard will be eating less cost forcing it on to the taxpayers? Possibly, it is a county hospital whose budget comes from the taxpayers. With more people getting insurance, generally means less $$$$ the hospital will have to absorb from people who can't obtain it due to pre-existing conditions or can't afford employer sponsored. That means more paying customers for the hospital.

What is the true effect on small business? Less than 50 employees are exempt. For those who have over 50 employees, is it being forced to provide insurance (majority already do to begin with) or is it the new provisions that a person can keep their dependent on insurance up to age 26 (which carriers have already implemented so it's in effect NOW). I can understand those with pre-existing conditions will definitely drive up their costs as they will no longer be denied coverage. At the end, keeping an adult child on ones insurance isn't the fault of any type of program, it lies with the employee choosing to do so.

We do not yet know the true cost. Once government subsidies kick in for those who do not make a lot of money to keep their costs affordable is when we will know what the true costs will be and whether or not it will be worthwhile. Until that happens, anything any politician says should be taken with a grain of salt because they do not know.

So how are you all personally affected by this good, bad or indifferent? Reading all of the FB comments from 6, 8, 13 and 59, it's obvious to me anyway central Indiana residents tend to be clueless about a lot of things and never do the residents fact check for themselves and rely on political pandering for information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 07:31 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
If its not overturned by voting out Obama and Romney in and giving the Republicans control of the senate.
Say goodbye to this great Country in about 10-20 years depending on how hard the economy crashes.
Wonder why we havent rebounded? look at Obama's heavy regulations and anti-business policies and wonder why were still stuck at 8.3% unemployment.

also according to history and how the economy is now this is very similar to the Great Depression.
Indiana is very dry and as so is much of the midwest. repeat of the dust bowl however we did learn one thing from the dust bowl. how to farm better and prevent the topsoil from being blown away. Our Economy is so fragile right now i just know its about to crash again and this time well have 15-20% unemployment and a real unemployment near 25-30%.
Also the stock market crashed in 1929. the Great Depression didnt really *kick in* until 1933 4 years after the crash. and right now were 4 years after the stock market crash.........................

Old 06-29-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
If its not overturned by voting out Obama and Romney in and giving the Republicans control of the senate.
Say goodbye to this great Country in about 10-20 years depending on how hard the economy crashes.
Wonder why we havent rebounded? look at Obama's heavy regulations and anti-business policies and wonder why were still stuck at 8.3% unemployment.
For starters, you didn't answer a single point. Do you even understand it?

Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
First, please explain Romney's backpedaling on healthcare. His plan in MA was similar and was a mandate. He won't be able to get around that.

Now, to the actual question. I read something yesterday that the mandates of this plan would impact only 6% of the adult population. I agree, most people don't understand the plan or how it does or does not effect them. Many have just jumped on the bandwagon because a political leader has said it was bad, etc. Most don't understand that every single one of us with insurance is already paying for the uninsured in the form of higher costs. Just one example, visit any hospital ER, and you will see people using the ER for primary care. The uninsured know that hospital ER's must see them.

As part of a household that has paid for it's own insurance for over 2 decades I know first hand what that means. I know the expense of insurance for what amounts to major medical coverage. There were years we paid more for insurance and run of the mill medical costs (nothing extraordinary, just check-ups, dentist visits, eyeglasses, vaccines for the kids) than we did for our first mortgage. Very recently my spouse tried to get our costs lowered. He ended up being rejected for coverage because of a pre-existing condition controlled by medicine. He investigated all of the options (including state options) and decided that he would drop insurance for himself since we already paid for all of our own medical costs. IF he was to become sick, he would join an "after the fact" plan available through the state. Despite the high costs, we were fortunate to be able to afford any coverage. BTW-we are all now insured again. H decided to close his small business, which contributed to the IN economy, and become an employee to gain insurance coverage. The state loses tax money because of that.

I often said I did not know what people with a lower income did. They could not afford the high costs. This plan will allow them to buy insurance. It is a good thing in my opinion.

What I would like to see next is some legislation regarding lawsuits, maximum financial awards, and medical malpractice. In my opinion, our sue happy society is another reason for the high costs of medical care.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
First, please explain Romney's backpedaling on healthcare. His plan in MA was similar and was a mandate. He won't be able to get around that.

Now, to the actual question. I read something yesterday that the mandates of this plan would impact only 6% of the adult population. I agree, most people don't understand the plan or how it does or does not effect them. Many have just jumped on the bandwagon because a political leader has said it was bad, etc. Most don't understand that every single one of us with insurance is already paying for the uninsured in the form of higher costs. Just one example, visit any hospital ER, and you will see people using the ER for primary care. The uninsured know that hospital ER's must see them.

As part of a household that has paid for it's own insurance for over 2 decades I know first hand what that means. I know the expense of insurance for what amounts to major medical coverage. There were years we paid more for insurance and run of the mill medical costs (nothing extraordinary, just check-ups, dentist visits, eyeglasses, vaccines for the kids) than we did for our first mortgage. Very recently my spouse tried to get our costs lowered. He ended up being rejected for coverage because of a pre-existing condition controlled by medicine. He investigated all of the options (including state options) and decided that he would drop insurance for himself since we already paid for all of our own medical costs. IF he was to become sick, he would join an "after the fact" plan available through the state. Despite the high costs, we were fortunate to be able to afford any coverage. BTW-we are all now insured again. H decided to close his small business, which contributed to the IN economy, and become an employee to gain insurance coverage. The state loses tax money because of that.

I often said I did not know what people with a lower income did. They could not afford the high costs. This plan will allow them to buy insurance. It is a good thing in my opinion.

What I would like to see next is some legislation regarding lawsuits, maximum financial awards, and medical malpractice. In my opinion, our sue happy society is another reason for the high costs of medical care.
Very good insight. I actually used to have an individual policy for my oldest as adding him to employer insurance would have been almost $500 a month just for him. Cost $104 a month, coverage albeit a higher deductible which included checkups, dr. visits, prescription etc. basically everything on an employer plan but he only got 4 dr. visits with the co-pay and any more would have cost a little more. He was a minor and once the original bill passed, the first thing carriers did was stop insuring minors as well as stopped allowing people to be on multiple plans. He would have been grandfathered in but our carrier left Indiana so at that point, he could not obtain insurance so I either would have to drop employer insurance or add him to employer insurance which was just not feasible. Third option, minors can still have their own short term policies so until he turns 18 in a few months, I do short term policies every six months for him. I pay a little extra for the lower deductible and for other amenities like dr. visits as he's into sports and such as well as prescription coverage but still pay less than $70 a month. Supplement that with paying $18 a month for Dental as minors can still have their own dental/vision and it's a decent price I pay monthly as my employer for employees only cover 85% of the cost so I personally pay very little for my employer insurance, approx. $60 a month or $15 a week. That's a great benefit for me which allow me to be flexible with him. I personally had to figure out how to work the system on my own as carriers will NOT help you. Since prices are fixed (a lot of people don't know that), monthly for a family can easily get up to 1k for a family of 4 with an individual policy depending upon the deductible and amenities chosen.

I share this story with all of you to show with our current way, what one must go through to obtain adequate coverage at a reasonable cost. I'm lucky, I only have one dependent to worry about coverage for. Imagine how it is currently for a family like rah or anyone else with 2 kids, house payments, etc.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:30 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,056 times
Quote:

also according to history and how the economy is now this is very similar to the Great Depression.
Indiana is very dry and as so is much of the midwest. repeat of the dust bowl however we did learn one thing from the dust bowl. how to farm better and prevent the topsoil from being blown away. Our Economy is so fragile right now i just know its about to crash again and this time well have 15-20% unemployment and a real unemployment near 25-30%.
Also the stock market crashed in 1929. the Great Depression didnt really *kick in* until 1933 4 years after the crash. and right now were 4 years after the stock market crash.........................
For starter it's a global recession and it started before Obama resided in the White House. Also during the Great Depression of the 1930s the US unemployment peaked at 25% of the labour force. Thus far the job losses have been demonstrably less than during the Great Depression. Obama is employied Keynesian economic solutions to combat the problems.

During the Great Depression FDR employed the use to Keynesian economics which were working until 1937 when he caved in to the budget hawks and pulling back on the stimulus before the private-sector economy was really strong enough to be self-sustaining, and we dovetailed right back into recession.

Anyone who thinks Obama's stimulus package was an unadulterated failure is only fooling themselves. Many economists (including Nobel Prize-winner Paul Krugman) argue that the only problem with Obama's stimulus was that it wasn't quite big enough to, among other things, fully offset the loss of over 600,000 public sector jobs. But it helped stave off another Great Depression. I don't think there is really much question about that. That's where things were headed, and we're still in danger of a double-dip recession, even now.

Things clearly aren't great right now, and the recovery, such as it is, isn't robust enough. But lack of government action on a large scale would likely have meant total disaster. It's tough to prove a negative, to prove something would have happened that didn't, but the vast majority of reputable economists agreed that something needed to be done to reverse the downward, vicious cycle. Only ideologues believe that an unfettered free market can always cure itself when the inevitable down-cycles arise. Economics is a complex area, but history is a pretty good teacher, for those who choose to study it rather than to ignore it if the facts don't fit their ideology.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:38 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
so spending the country into bankruptcy is ok lol.
#1 i dont care if you have a noble prize it doesnt qualify you to be Mr. Know It all.
#2 do we forget what is happening in the Eurozone? those problems all boil down to spending to much.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
For starters, you didn't answer a single point. Do you even understand it?
he's not old enough to vote ...

Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
so spending the country into bankruptcy is ok lol.
#1 i dont care if you have a noble prize it doesnt qualify you to be Mr. Know It all.
#2 do we forget what is happening in the Eurozone? those problems all boil down to spending to much.
What does any of this have to do with the questions posed?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:21 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Quote:

Please tell us your qualifications. I'll take the Nobel (and notice the correct spelling of the award) winner any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis