Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepergola View Post
Thanks for all of the insight guys. One more question, for those who live in suburbia, how is the commute to work if you work in the city? I believe Indianapolis has a beltway system, right? There's nothing like that around here (too forested, hilly and poorly laid out for such a thing). Is it easy to commute inwards and outwards as needed? Or is it as bad as somewhere like Atlanta which can take upwards of an hour in and out just to go a few miles.

Also, how is public transportation? Do you have a subway or rail system, or do you rely on bus/taxi to get around if you have no vehicle? I fully intend on bringing two cars with me, but I am mostly curious.
I wish Indianapolis had a subway system haha.
no its just busing/taxi.
A car will help you alot in Indianapolis though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 09:51 AM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
Traffic isn't too bad--nothing unbearable. The only thing I've noticed while in Indy is that I've never seen so many semi-trucks on a highway in my life! Which makes sense because the city is a crossroads to many other locations. It's all about buses in Indy, but you'll really never hear people praise the transit system in Indianapolis. I haven't used it myself, but because almost everything you need is within walking distance of the core. Something you might need to drive to are Broad Ripple, speedway or the IMA.

Honestly, a good to get around when the weather is good is Indy's new Cultural Trail. It's a fantastic new bike trail that can take you all over the city.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:57 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of the insight guys. One more question, for those who live in suburbia, how is the commute to work if you work in the city? I believe Indianapolis has a beltway system, right? There's nothing like that around here (too forested, hilly and poorly laid out for such a thing). Is it easy to commute inwards and outwards as needed? Or is it as bad as somewhere like Atlanta which can take upwards of an hour in and out just to go a few miles.

Also, how is public transportation? Do you have a subway or rail system, or do you rely on bus/taxi to get around if you have no vehicle? I fully intend on bringing two cars with me, but I am mostly curious.
If you live in Carmel, Fishers or Westfield there is an excellent express bus to downtown Indy.

And if you like to bike, the Monon Trail runs all the way from Westfield to downtown Indy.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:00 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
You pretty much need a car no matter what. I you live in the north suburbs, there is an express commuter bus that runs downtown and back from Carmel and another from Fishers during rush hour. Indy is quite easy to get around. Carmel may gave the most difficult route downtown because you have to take surface streets unless you go far out of your way. During normal traffic, it's about 30 minutes from the north suburbs to downtown, about double during rush hour.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:15 PM

39 posts, read 52,450 times
Quote:
Hello,

I will start off this (admittedly long) thread by first saying, Indianapolis has me completely intrigued. I have some unknown fixation on this city, and I can't really explain it, all I can say is that I am nearly positive that I want to live here. I currently live in Connecticut, which was recently given the ever-so-prestigious title of "The most expensive place to live" in the 48 landlocked states. That being said, in my 20's, I do not currently own the place that I reside in and I am looking for a less expensive place to live. My skill-set allows me to work pretty much anywhere, so I am not worried about finding employment, and I understand I probably won't bring home the $55K a year I make here.

All of that being said, I am looking to relocate and Indianapolis has caught my eye. I am not currently interested in buying without living in the city first, but I do have various questions.

First, most pressing question: I was reading on some forums and someone wrote that the mill rate for Indianapolis is OVER 100 points? Is this true? Is that the value that is charged against all property? Where I live, I pay taxes on my vehicle yearly, and home owners pay yearly taxes of the same rate on their houses. It is about 35 points here, or $35 per $1000 of assumed value. That puts on the homeowner on the line for $3500 for every $100,000 that their home is worth, in a place where house values regularly go above $200,000. I am 100% not interested in paying 1/5th of my yearly salary in additional taxes. If anyone is a resident of Indianapolis proper (or suburbs, Avon, Carmel, etc) can you please help me understand the effective tax rate on motor vehicles (if you have one taxes on those yearly) and housing? I'd rather settle down in the next few years, so it will become a huge deal to me in the future.

Second, how is the local economy? Is the unemployment rate high? Are people fighting for whatever jobs open up in the area? Are there certain industries that you can think of off the top of your head that are under-served and over-served?

Third, is the "east end" really as bad as all of the conjecture I read states? What exactly is the "east end" coming from an outsider? Is it a certain point in Indianapolis where everything goes to hell, or is it a natural boundary and everything east of it just isn't great?

Thanks in advance guys, and maybe I'll join your ranks soon!
I guess I can give you an outsider perspective, since I am not originally from Indiana. However, I have also lived in the Detroit and Cleveland metro areas, so I can compare multiple midwestern locations for you. I'll start off by saying that Indianapolis (also Indiana in general) is less expensive that either of the Michigan or Ohio areas where I lived previously. I suspect that the cost of living will definitely be much less than CT too, and from what I have found out Indiana is also more affordable than other midwestern states like IL or WI.

I live about 50 miles away from Indy, but visit often to get international groceries that I can't get where I live. Downtown Indy seems to me more lively than either Detroit or Cleveland, although is not in the same level as Chicago. Overall not bad. The Cultural Trail makes for a nice way to get around downtown by bicycle. The condition of homes and neighborhoods vary somewhat. For example, you can travel a couple of blocks where the homes and buildings look nice, then all of a sudden change to more rundown areas. Having said that, there is quite a bit of revitalization projects in downtown areas I noticed the last times I've visited, so it looks like some positive changes are under way. As other posters indicated, Indy just hosted the Super Bowl, quite successfully. Not to mention that every year Indy also hosts the Indy 500, Brickyard 400, Moto GP, NCAA tournaments and other large events. The point is that Indy knows how to rise to the occasion and put on a show, very effectively. As far as neighborhoods is concerned, areas downtown closer to the colleges or theater district, Broad Ripple, or the north and west suburbs seem to be the nicer spots. I'll leave it to those living closer to give you a better description.

If you move in I certainly recommend not buying a property right away until you get a better feel for the city. There are plenty of rentals available, so you should get reasonable prices.

You may find Indy to be slower and more boring than the east coast. The good news is that Indy's location is great for the travel lovers who may find Indy lacking in some attractions. Need water sports? The Great Lakes to the north and Ohio River to the south can fill those needs. Need more of a faster paced city to hang around on weekends? Chicago is just three hours away. Need to go back east once in a while? I70 connects you easily to the east coast. Need to escape the winter? I65 gets you to the southern states easily. The "Crossroads of America" nickname is well deserved. As far as weather is not concerned, I do not find Indiana to be terrible (compared to the northeast), with the possible exception for the northern end of the state close to the Michigan state line, where they experience more snow fall. South of Indy is not too bad, except for ice. I guess since I have lived near both Detroit and Cleveland that makes the Indianapolis area pale in comparison.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:05 PM

105 posts, read 145,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabz1964 View Post
I guess I can give you an outsider perspective, since I am not originally from Indiana. However, I have also lived in the Detroit and Cleveland metro areas, so I can compare multiple midwestern locations for you. I'll start off by saying that Indianapolis (also Indiana in general) is less expensive that either of the Michigan or Ohio areas where I lived previously. I suspect that the cost of living will definitely be much less than CT too, and from what I have found out Indiana is also more affordable than other midwestern states like IL or WI.

I live about 50 miles away from Indy, but visit often to get international groceries that I can't get where I live. Downtown Indy seems to me more lively than either Detroit or Cleveland, although is not in the same level as Chicago. Overall not bad. The Cultural Trail makes for a nice way to get around downtown by bicycle. The condition of homes and neighborhoods vary somewhat. For example, you can travel a couple of blocks where the homes and buildings look nice, then all of a sudden change to more rundown areas. Having said that, there is quite a bit of revitalization projects in downtown areas I noticed the last times I've visited, so it looks like some positive changes are under way. As other posters indicated, Indy just hosted the Super Bowl, quite successfully. Not to mention that every year Indy also hosts the Indy 500, Brickyard 400, Moto GP, NCAA tournaments and other large events. The point is that Indy knows how to rise to the occasion and put on a show, very effectively. As far as neighborhoods is concerned, areas downtown closer to the colleges or theater district, Broad Ripple, or the north and west suburbs seem to be the nicer spots. I'll leave it to those living closer to give you a better description.

If you move in I certainly recommend not buying a property right away until you get a better feel for the city. There are plenty of rentals available, so you should get reasonable prices.

You may find Indy to be slower and more boring than the east coast. The good news is that Indy's location is great for the travel lovers who may find Indy lacking in some attractions. Need water sports? The Great Lakes to the north and Ohio River to the south can fill those needs. Need more of a faster paced city to hang around on weekends? Chicago is just three hours away. Need to go back east once in a while? I70 connects you easily to the east coast. Need to escape the winter? I65 gets you to the southern states easily. The "Crossroads of America" nickname is well deserved. As far as weather is not concerned, I do not find Indiana to be terrible (compared to the northeast), with the possible exception for the northern end of the state close to the Michigan state line, where they experience more snow fall. South of Indy is not too bad, except for ice. I guess since I have lived near both Detroit and Cleveland that makes the Indianapolis area pale in comparison.
I would move to Indy in a heartbeat by this description alone. Not too shabby for an outsider looking in! I have eerily the same viewpoints so far and I haven't even visited yet!

Old 08-06-2012, 08:31 AM

9 posts, read 21,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabz1964 View Post

Thank you so much for your insight - it's hard not to be excited after reading this post. Since you seem to be a keen on the area, can you answer me one more question? I am by no means of the word cultured, but given the area I come from, I have a lot of "history" in my area. That isn't necessarily just museums and all of that, but it is also what I am going to call a measure of culture. There are tons of old Victorian houses in Connecticut, rural areas maintain the same stone walls that were built as natural boundaries when the area was settled, and there are even older civil war battle sights that are relatively well persevered. Even with all of the history in this area, I feel it is pretty much void of culture. Does Indianapolis offer something for someone looking for a little culture? Any entertainment venues from the early 1900's still in operation? Perhaps something relating to theater or the arts? Creativity is almost an admonish-able offense here if it deviates from the norm, and that is something I am looking to get away from as I don't like the cookie-cutter way of life. I work in progressive fields usually, and don't subscribe to the suit-and-tie way of life, it's just not something I am interested in. I know from previous posts that the Culture trail is now open, which looks fabulous, but is there anything else? Perhaps something I can do for a day or so?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:00 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Indianapolis's history is regarded in Racing/Sports/manufacturing and being the crossroads of America.
Indy also is home to the worlds first Railroad Union station if your curious.
its quite a beauty.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:09 AM

1,608 posts, read 2,015,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
The only thing I've noticed while in Indy is that I've never seen so many semi-trucks on a highway in my life!
This is one of my biggest complaints! And to make it worse, the trucks drive 70-75 on the freeways; while the Troopers chase down a speeding car! Go figure More trucks jackknife here because they know they can speed with little enforcement, which leads to taking curves like they are driving a Ferrari.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 3,227 times
I've lived in and around Indy most of my life, off and on, so here's my 2 cents:
-- Don't focus too much on one aspect of the tax situation; property taxes here are reasonable compared to some other locales, but the rate does not include add-ons for special assessments such as libraries, etc. Also need to consider state & local income tax rates, sales tax (7%), etc., that can serve as equalizers when comparing cities. Also, where taxes are low you generally get what you pay for.
-- Public transportation is grim, IMHO, and there's no serious talk of improving it. IndyGo is the city bus system - it loses $ consistently. If it goes where you need to go when you need to be there, you're fine. A few express buses run to select suburbs - again, if the bus runs where and when you need it, it works. There are no trains, and taxis would be an expensive way to commute. Plan to need a car, or at least access to one.
-- The city is doing a fairly nice job of developing bike paths. Some posters mentioned the cultural trail downtown. Bikers can actually ride from north of Carmel (suburb, one county north) to the center of Indy using a combination of trails that run through neighborhoods that are old, new, historic, rentals, vinyl-sided, artsy & eclectic, etc.; Broad Ripple (look it up); Butler Univ.; the Indpls. art museum grounds; and into downtown Indy where it would link to the cultural & other trails. There are restaurants, wooded stretches, and I know of at least 3 brew pubs + 2 in the works, if you're into that. Trails are more for recreation than transportation, since it does snow / rain / sleet, etc. several months each year.
-- Indy does not have 'traffic' compared to So Cal, Chicago, etc. That said, I hate commuting. Period. It is very possible to live so near your job that there is little to no commute. People with long commutes have opted not to do so.
-- Somewhere is this string the east side was mentioned. The near east side has been undergoing various iterations of redevelopment / improvement since at least 1975. Every city seems to have an area that just never quite catches up, and that might be Indy's.
-- Beyond that, though, is Irvington which is kind of an oasis, historic and growing in an artsy, granola sort of way + another brew pub - well worth a visit. I'll also put in a plug for Fountain Square on the near SE side, which is also worth looking at. Just walk around and talk to people; they all love to talk about their neighborhoods.

I have returned to / stayed in Indy because a) family are here, and b) it's so cheap and easy to live here. Good luck in your job hunt if you decide to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis