Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:54 PM

144 posts, read 342,480 times

Advertisements

While we enjoy Whole Foods for some of the odd items they have, and also the bulk section love the bulk section, it is just too expensive for us to shop there exclusively. Marsh is much the same way. Someone mentioned doing an item for item comparison between Marsh and one of the bigger places. We did just that when we moved back down comparing 15 items we buy on every trip, I hate to say it because they are the home town store, but Marsh was about $3 more expensive for the same exact items than our normal shopping of Meijer. Overall for a whole shopping trip I won't be trying the basket for basket comparison I can't afford a huge difference that I imagine it will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 04:27 PM

164 posts, read 310,546 times
Marsh is local home-grown Hoosier store. In all good conscience, I absolutely will not shop at Kroger's, Wal Mart or Meijers if there's a Marsh nearby. I just wouldn't feel right. Marsh might be a little more expensive, but I'll pay the extra 5 dollars on a 60$ order of groceries. 5 extra dollars won't break the bank.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:59 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Default Any updates?

Does anyone know if there are any updates now that some time has passed? Whole Foods reconsidering this decision, etc? I think this situation was a shame. If nothing else, at least a Whole Foods would have attracted other nice restaurants and stores too! Just curious.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:12 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Does anyone know if there are any updates now that some time has passed? Whole Foods reconsidering this decision, etc? I think this situation was a shame. If nothing else, at least a Whole Foods would have attracted other nice restaurants and stores too! Just curious.
Whole Foods dropped out. Instead Fresh Thyme is going in in their place. Same building, though. In other news, Cold Stone Creamery is opening right on the strip in Broad Ripple with little to no objection that I've heard of.

Fresh Thyme in, Whole Foods out for Broad Ripple project

Old 05-04-2015, 07:55 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Whole Foods dropped out. Instead Fresh Thyme is going in in their place. Same building, though. In other news, Cold Stone Creamery is opening right on the strip in Broad Ripple with little to no objection that I've heard of.

Isn't there a Fresh Thyme or similar store already in Broad Ripple near Fat Dan's?

Old 05-04-2015, 07:56 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Isn't there a Fresh Thyme or similar store already in Broad Ripple near Fat Dan's?
The Fresh Market

Old 05-04-2015, 05:58 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post

I knew about the Broad Ripple situation; however, I was referring to proposed Whole Foods in Fishers where apparently there was conflict with the CEO of Marsh there.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:07 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I knew about the Broad Ripple situation; however, I was referring to proposed Whole Foods in Fishers where apparently there was conflict with the CEO of Marsh there.
Sorry. I don't know why I immediately thought Broad Ripple. Actually, it's the same situation in Fishers. Whole Foods backed out but it's going to be a Fresh Thyme now. The exterior of the building is pretty much done. And Fishers is installing a new traffic light for them on 116th St.

New Fishers grocery store set to open - Current in Fishers

Old 05-05-2015, 09:47 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
Whole Foods may have dropped the ball in more place than one.

I said for years that the south side could support a Whole Foods and I actually had people laugh and make jokes about the "hillbillies" and "hayseeds."

Well, low and behold, Earth Fare and Fresh Thyme each opened stores on the south side that are practically across the street from each other and have been doing big business since they opened. Fresh Thyme's parking lot seems to be packed at all hours of the day. Earth Fare was smart to open a store that shares a parking lot with a Planet Fitness.

Those stores aren't the only threat Whole Foods faces:

Quote:
Kroger is thriving in a difficult market for grocery stores.

The supermarket chain is expected to surpass Whole Foods Market within two years and become the nation's top seller of organic and natural food, according to a recent report by JPMorgan.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:24 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,619,106 times
You mean "Whole Paycheck."[/quote]

A smart shopper can shop at Whole Foods and not spend the "whole paycheck" and still get quite a bit of food for a price thats not too much higher than Marsh if you buy their 360 house brand items.

If i'm in the neighood and its before 10am, I like to stop at the Whole Foods flagship store in Austin and go to the breakfast taco bar and they will make me a really good taco with enough food packed in it to keep me full as a tick until supper time. I get a really good 4 item taco and a 22 ounce mug full of piping hot coffee for about 4 bucks.

There's more to do at Whole Foods than just shop for groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis