Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:07 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times

Advertisements

It sounds like there was a lot going on downtown last night, especially fighting and disorderly conduct, both before and after the fireworks show, and almost all seems to be due to teens being there without parents.

https://www.indystar.com/article/201...lence-Downtown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 01:42 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
but entire train cars and busses were getting robbed at gunpoint in downtown Chicago and that hasn't really hurt their city any.
Hold up................when was an entire bus or train car robbed in downtown Chicago?

Old 07-05-2013, 04:35 PM

25 posts, read 14,989 times
American drug laws and poverty programs have created a permanent underclass who are typically the perpetrators and victims of this sort of crime. Nothing's going to change without changing those laws and programs.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:45 PM

285 posts, read 386,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Hold up................when was an entire bus or train car robbed in downtown Chicago?
There hasn't. Though the point is still basically the same. Plenty of robberies happening in "safe" areas, but life goes on.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:54 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prost View Post
There hasn't. Though the point is still basically the same. Plenty of robberies happening in "safe" areas, but life goes on.
Actually......

CTA Robberies, Thefts Up 77 Percent

I'll look for more specifics when I'm not just home from the bar.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:41 AM

So here are the few I could find:

Mob action in Lakeview - RedEye Chicago
Teens disabled CTA bus before robbery, prosecutors say - Chicago Tribune
Police warn of robberies on Loop CTA trains, platforms - Chicago News and Weather | FOX 32 News
It

I know I can't find anything about the entire train car or bus getting robbed by a gunman, but I know it did happen. I know by saying that, I sound like an idiot that can't factually back up his claims, but I'm just having trouble finding those specific incidents that I saw on the news one of the times that I was in Chicago. If anyone else knows what I'm talking about, I'm pretty sure they occurred roughly a year or so ago.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 AM

This is more what I'm looking for and very similar to the problem in Indianapolis:

Attacks on Mag Mile, CTA overshadow drop in murder rate - Chicago News and Weather | FOX 32 News

Old 07-06-2013, 12:58 PM

285 posts, read 386,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
This is more what I'm looking for and very similar to the problem in Indianapolis:

Attacks on Mag Mile, CTA overshadow drop in murder rate - Chicago News and Weather | FOX 32 News
Yeah, this is definitely becoming more of a problem. I spent the last five years living there and didn't see anything like this until the past winter. However common sense rules are often not followed on the CTA, and people are shocked when their iPad is stolen on the Brown Line. Regardless, the "flash mob" nature of recent attacks is disturbing and is causing tension between residents and the city, because it's quite obvious the perpetrators are not residents of the "safe" neighborhoods this is happening in, and it is perceived that little is being done to prevent these cases from occurring.

Surfing through the Chicago City-Data forums will yield a lot of threads about this issue.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:49 PM

121 posts, read 210,066 times
Speaking of Chicago, I just saw another chilling statistic from a friend.

55 people have been shot (9 dead) in the last 3 days.

PressTV - 55 shot, 9 dead, in Chicago since July 4

Old 07-06-2013, 06:19 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Excuse me for saying this - but Indy isn't in Illinois. The thread is not about Chicago and its county of 8M people. It's like talking about a sailboat and a cat. One has nothing to do with the other. You can find the bad guys, the immature, and the uneducated who cause problems every place where people congregate. Visitors to Indy want to feel welcome and safe. It's the same in NYC, Denver, SF, and Boston.

What are the police doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis