Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 8,861 times

Advertisements

We are in process of getting ready to move to Indiana. At this time we have a pending sale on a house in Martinsville that hopefully will go through within the next 2 days. Otherwise, we are hoping to wait until closer to spring, when school lets out to find a property to purchase. My husband is in process of getting a transfer from the Chicago suburbs to the south side of Indy. We vacation every year at our friend's house in the area, and this year we decided we no longer wanted to wait until July every year to visit, we want to stay all year.

My husband is transferring, and as he travels quite frequently through the area, is quite comfortable with his commute back and forth to his new location. Our potential new house has quick access to 37, as that is his preferred route.

However, my job does not transfer. I currently work c/s for the water department in the municipality that we live. I am also a student that is about 1/2 way through an Associates in Engineering. The goal being a BS in Civil Engineering. I am also the mother to two school aged children. My dilemma is in looking for jobs through the normal channels: Indeed, career builder, monster, etc., I mostly find retail or service jobs in the immediate area. Nothing substantial unless I commute at least 30 minutes away. I am afraid that with that kind of commute, and the one I am looking at to complete my degree, that I just won't be able to juggle it all. Are there mid-level positions for people with solid administration, customer service, or financial background? Not that I really want to go back to working at a bank, it's one of the reasons I went to school to begin with, to get away from banking, but one does what one must to earn a living, and apparently, I'm good with numbers and money.

I would love to start a more targeted search for employers while still in Illinois, but should I really wait until I have 'boots on the ground' in the area before seeking out a position? While I am a very good student, I only have 1/2 the required credits to have an AES, which is just not enough for someone seeking an intern. As I am not a traditional student, I would prefer regular employement over internship anyway.

Comments? Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:32 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,683,428 times
Bloomington?

Anyway, if you're not willing to commute for 30 minutes or so, you're not being very realistic.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:34 AM

4 posts, read 8,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Bloomington?

Anyway, if you're not willing to commute for 30 minutes or so, you're not being very realistic.

Which is, I guess, the point of my thread. To gage whether or not I am being realistic.

Plainfield also seems to be an excellent option for employment. Just unsure on the conditions of commutability.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:44 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Not knowing specifically where your H will work, commuting from Plainfield would not be much worse than commuting from Martinsville.

I think you'll be looking for quite awhile for a job in Martinsville. I also agree with the above poster that it maybe unrealistic to think you'll be able to do a 30 minute commute. Your best employment options will be in Indy.

Honestly, I would wait to purchase a home until you've secured employment. I would rent until then.

Bloomington would be a bear of a commute for your H. I've done it to the southside of Indy. Not fun.

BTW--before you make a purchase near 37 you should check out the route of I-69 along 37. It's not built through Martinsville yet, but it will be. You can find maps of the proposed routes here: I-69 from Evansville to Indianapolis Official Website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis