Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2013, 03:27 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,679 times

Advertisements

We are looking at possibly relocating to Zionsville/Carmel area.

Wondering what kind of "critters" we might encounter - where we were looking previously (Charleston, SC area) had lots of things that scare the heck out of me - poisonous snakes, poisonous spiders, palmetto bugs (roaches), and alligators.

I'm sure that there aren't alligators there, but what about the poisonous snakes and spiders?

Where we live now (MA) ticks are a real problem with Lyme disease. Do you have ticks as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 04:16 AM

Oops...

Forgot to ask the 2nd part of my question.

How bad are allergies in Indy? Both my husband and dog have allergies (mold, dock sorel, russian thistle) and asthma.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:31 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Ticks exist everywhere. Yes, we have Lyme disease here in every county in the state. I think they have also found a couple of other tick-associated diseases here. I don't live in Carmel, but a densely wooded area in Monroe County. I pull off 2-3 ticks per year, but it's usually after I walk in the woods. Chiggers are a bigger problem in my opinion. The itch is painful.

There are only four types of poisonous snake indigenous to Indiana. Given the habitat these four snakes prefer, it's unlikely you would run into them in Carmel or Zionsville.

There are two types of poisonous spiders: brown recluse and black widow. In my many years as a resident of Indiana, or a non-resident with family members still here, I've never heard of anyone being bitten by one. They are not that common in my opinion.

Allergies are a very personal thing. My husband has allergies to many pollens and mold. Some years he has few problems. Other years, he is miserable for a couple of months if he fails to take his prescription.

We don't have the roach issues seen in warmer areas of the country. We do have some odd bugs though.

Old 10-04-2013, 06:33 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
rrah summed things up pretty well. I, too, have never known anyone bitten by a brown recluse or black widow spider in my 36 years of living here. I've never even seen either. Both prefer dark, damp areas and are pretty skittish and tend to stay away from people.

Ticks can be a problem if you go hiking through the woods or fields of tall grass or let your pets go wandering through them. Lyme disease does exist though you'll hear a lot more about West Nile because of the mosquitoes.

Snakes exist but I've never seen anything more than a harmless garter snake.

Possibly the most dangerous thing involving animals are deer-car accidents which can cause extensive damage and injury. Driving through the city is usually not a problem, but especially around this time of year as farmers harvest their fields, the deer come out closer to the road to feed. I don't know anyone that has ever had contact with a poisonous snake or spider, but I do know a handful of people that have had cars practically totaled by deer-car accidents.

Otherwise most animals are little. Bobcats exist in Indiana but they are extremely reclusive and very rarely seen. Coyotes are becoming an issue in some Indy suburbs, mostly attacking livestock and small pets. They've been seen in the Carmel/Zionsville area. We have a lot of squirrels, raccoons (which can be very mean), possums, hawks, and lots of little birds.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:18 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Indiana is pretty tamed compared to what I use to see in other places I've been to. When I lived in Florida I use to occasionally see alligators laying around the back yard soaking up sun. (just don't get too close) In Okinawa, you always to had to worry about Habu snakes (the ones that can really kill you) jumping out at you from the bushes or trees at night while going for a walk. My step dad use to collect pythons. I got over my phobias after handling them on a regular basis. Most snakes in Indiana will run away from you as long as they aren't cornered. A common sense tip would be not to have a cluttered junk yard to give some of these critters a home and keep the grass cut. If you have tick problems you can have your yard treated. Hope this helps

Here's what you won't have to worry about in Indiana.

Snake problem? get a Mongoose (j/k those are very aggressive snake killers and not something to keep as a pet)
They can attack a snake like a Piranha in water.

Last edited by urbanologist; 10-04-2013 at 07:29 AM..

Old 10-04-2013, 10:19 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
There are snakes, alligators, dinosaurs, monsters, ninjas and such all over the place over here!

Old 10-04-2013, 03:53 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
There are snakes, alligators, dinosaurs, monsters, ninjas and such all over the place over here!
In North Carolina the mountain bears will let you pet them and eat right out of your hand.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:59 PM

Believe me, we have plenty of "critters" here - ticks galore, racoons, coyotes, wild turkeys, etc. Coyotes have been killing a lot of dogs around here.

It's mostly the poisonous things I'm afraid of, especially having a dog, but in general I am petrified of spiders and snakes - LOL!

Good to know you don't have palmetto bugs - those things creep me out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis