Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:48 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,743 times

Advertisements

Ah very well. Obviously I went to Keystone and C. Center and then I managed to go to the Colts game two days ago. I walked around the Momon (sp?). Yes because I'm underage I'm more limited to things, but my stepbrother took me out two nights with a ton of his friends from IU (some sports bar/grill at 86th and Town). Basically I just explored the area a little more and never really got bored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 11:04 AM

260 posts, read 1,346,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
Ah very well. Obviously I went to Keystone and C. Center and then I managed to go to the Colts game two days ago. I walked around the Momon (sp?). Yes because I'm underage I'm more limited to things, but my stepbrother took me out two nights with a ton of his friends from IU (some sports bar/grill at 86th and Town). Basically I just explored the area a little more and never really got bored.
There ya go....where theres a will, thers a way

Old 01-01-2008, 04:16 PM
REM

368 posts, read 995,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
There's a reason it's known as "Naptown"......
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
What you names is pretty much it, in other words there's not much to do around here.
People rant and rave about how affordable it is, but when there's nothing to do with the money you've saved- how great of a place is it really!?
There is Clay Terrace in Carmel, I see teens there though, as for outdoors,this is not an outdoorsy place or time of year however, you may want to check out Holiday Park or Eagle Creek Park.
There is alot to do in Indy, you just have to know where to look. This city is fun because it holds many events, usually during summer. Really no that much to do in the winter.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:10 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,031,505 times
Jesus Christ. Is Indy really that bad? You all sound as if Indy is just this huge bubble of nothingness in a sea of wonderful, exciting things to do.

It quite literally is what you make of it. A friend of mine from college now lives in Burbank, CA, and complains how "boring" it is out there. I lived here for six years during college (after which I moved up the road to Ft. Wayne), and I can honestly say that I never felt as if there was nothing to do. And this is coming from someone who grew up outside of a significantly larger city (Detroit). I'll admit that it isn't the most exciting city in the world, but you can do a lot worse than Indy.

Basically, if someone cannot find anything to do in a city of two million people, then they're either asking for something they can't have (surfing, mountains, etc), being picky, or just pathetic. I realize that people are entitled to their own opinions but it's foolish to label an entire city, state, whatever as being "lame" just because someone didn't utilize it to their advantage.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:18 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,031,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
There is alot to do in Indy, you just have to know where to look. This city is fun because it holds many events, usually during summer. Really no that much to do in the winter.
^Rep point. You hit the nail on the head, knowing where to look is key.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Jesus Christ. Is Indy really that bad? You all sound as if Indy is just this huge bubble of nothingness in a sea of wonderful, exciting things to do.

It quite literally is what you make of it. A friend of mine from college now lives in Burbank, CA, and complains how "boring" it is out there. I lived here for six years during college (after which I moved up the road to Ft. Wayne), and I can honestly say that I never felt as if there was nothing to do. And this is coming from someone who grew up outside of a significantly larger city (Detroit). I'll admit that it isn't the most exciting city in the world, but you can do a lot worse than Indy.

Basically, if someone cannot find anything to do in a city of two million people, then they're either asking for something they can't have (surfing, mountains, etc), being picky, or just pathetic. I realize that people are entitled to their own opinions but it's foolish to label an entire city, state, whatever as being "lame" just because someone didn't utilize it to their advantage.
Word. I spent some time in Burbank, as well as various other parts of So Cal, and I didn't do much different than I do here as far as night life....same thing, different place. that's not to say I didn't do "anything", I went out nearly every night...restaraunts, bars, parties, whatever...the important thing is I was amongst friends. Sure places like Cal have Dsiney Land, beaches etc....but who goes there everyday? Even when I lived close to the ocean and decided to take up surfing as a hobby (big mistake, lol), I wasn't hitting the beach every day.....when I lived close to the mountains and was an avid mountain biker, I didn't hit the mountains everyday (I was on my bikes(s) everyday, but not in the mountains). I lived in the city and worked in the city and spent most of my time in the city, and found things to do in the city, taking the occasional retreat out of the city. That is the thing I like about Indy, it may be farther to get to the oceans and mountains, but with the cost of living I can still afford to travel when the desire arises, then I can come home to an affordable house with a big back yard. And as far as outdoors go, there are plenty of places to go camping & boating here, if your into that. And in the winter, It is not that far of a drive to go to , MI or even WV to go snow skiing. Granted it's not Col., but it is still fun.

Yup, it's what you make of it, and there are plenty of things to do, you just have to make an effort. You know, one thing I forgot to mention to the original poster, but may be of use to someone else, is the Fast Times indoor go-karting track at 96th & Keystone. That is a great place to kill some time and take out some frustrations!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:17 AM

P.S. I just went to the Colts vs Titans game Sun.(boring game) Got downtown about 4:00 (it was an 8:15 game) got some dinner and hung out and had a few drinks before game time. There were people everywhere dressed in blue (some "powder" blue) and everyone was having fun. I couldn't have been more proud to see our beuatiful city so alive and full of people having fun. Our world champion Colts is just another reason I enjoy this city so much, but you don't have to be a sports fan to enjoy it. There are some really nice establishments downtown that are worth going to any day of the week.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:20 PM

87 posts, read 321,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Jesus Christ. Is Indy really that bad? It quite literally is what you make of it...
...which could also be translated as "whatever you're willing to settle for". If you want to be extremely general in terms of amenities - arts, shopping, recreation - yes, those things all technically exist in Indianapolis, but the quality level is about as average as it's possible to get, and especially in terms of the arts downright poor. The music scene is downright terrible, the night life is o.k. but extremely stagnant, with only a small handful of bars and clubs exhibiting any character.

Speaking as someone on my way out of Indy, I see the approach to the question "is Indy really that bad?" coming from two completely polarizing directions. There are people like me, who see some good in Indy (particularly the people and I guess the sports if that's your bag), but have spent the last few years wondering what Indy has to offer that can't be had better elsewhere. The other camp are usually lifers who have no interest in leaving (roots, family, etc.) so they approach the question from the opposite direction, and when they consider the arts, recreation, etc. in other cities they ask themselves whether those things are worth pulling them away from whatever ties them to Indy, and the answer is invariably "no" (otherwise presumably they would have pulled up stakes by now). It's all in one's priorities, but that being said I doubt anyone is being tied down to Indy by the amenities alone.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julrey View Post
...which could also be translated as "whatever you're willing to settle for". If you want to be extremely general in terms of amenities - arts, shopping, recreation - yes, those things all technically exist in Indianapolis, but the quality level is about as average as it's possible to get, and especially in terms of the arts downright poor. The music scene is downright terrible, the night life is o.k. but extremely stagnant, with only a small handful of bars and clubs exhibiting any character.

Speaking as someone on my way out of Indy, I see the approach to the question "is Indy really that bad?" coming from two completely polarizing directions. There are people like me, who see some good in Indy (particularly the people and I guess the sports if that's your bag), but have spent the last few years wondering what Indy has to offer that can't be had better elsewhere. The other camp are usually lifers who have no interest in leaving (roots, family, etc.) so they approach the question from the opposite direction, and when they consider the arts, recreation, etc. in other cities they ask themselves whether those things are worth pulling them away from whatever ties them to Indy, and the answer is invariably "no" (otherwise presumably they would have pulled up stakes by now). It's all in one's priorities, but that being said I doubt anyone is being tied down to Indy by the amenities alone.
Some good points, but everybody has different interests, and what is good for the goose is not always good for the gander. Yes the arts scene may be lacking compared to other cities, but I would disagree with you on the music scene...again maybe not the best in the country (errrr...definitely not the best!) but there are a lot of great bands from, or that come to Indy. I was disapointed when the Patio closed in Broadripple, that was a really great place to see some local and not so well known talent.

I used to ache to move out of here, after relocating here after living in various parts of the country, but now I have 2 small children, my own business, and several rental properties here. Music and night life is not as big a priority for me anymore, but when the need arises, i can always find something fun and interesting to do. For the sake of owning a home (or more than one) and raising a family, this place is hard to beat, but I realize everyone has different priorities and may find somewhere else more suitable to accomodate those priorities.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:41 PM

87 posts, read 321,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGibby View Post
I would disagree with you on the music scene...again maybe not the best in the country (errrr...definitely not the best!) but there are a lot of great bands from, or that come to Indy.
The quality of local bands may be entirely subjective but the number of touring bands coming to Indy is verifiably pathetic. Just go to Pollstar.com and check out the listings for other major cities in the area and then compare that to the listing for Indy. The majority of bands playing Detroit, Columbus, Cleveland, etc. bypass Indy altogether on their way to Chicago or St. Louis. Think about what this means: they're coming through this way anyhow but make a conscious decision to bypass Indianapolis. This is pretty much irrefutable proof that the music scene here sucks, although the reason why might be left open for speculation. Just because a major or mid-level artist rolls through town once every month or two doesn't amount to a quality music scene. In a city this size a person with broad musical tastes should have some show worth going to at least once a week, if not virtually daily.

Last edited by julrey; 01-04-2008 at 09:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis