Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 04:02 PM

10 posts, read 31,906 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know what are the lowest property taxes in the area around a 30 min commute to Indy. We are looking for 2-20 acres with a great home and out buildings workshop,barn,kennels with enough land for us and maybe lease out. Just do not know the best areas. We do not want to live in the higher priced Fishers or Carmel. Need to get as much as we can for our dollar.
Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 AM
SJU

131 posts, read 722,803 times
Carmel and Fishers actually have low taxes by comparison, but the houses are pricey and you'd be hard pressed to find that much land. I'd try Brownsburg or Whitestown (west) or Greenfield (east), or Whiteland/Franklin (south) depending on which side of town you're interested in. You can probably get some good deals on land in Sheridan (small town, NW), but the commute is about 40 min from downtown. Cicero and Arcadia are worth looking at too, but again you're looking at 40 min commute.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:31 AM

47 posts, read 163,335 times
I'd just look for land that has easy access to some of the major highways - I-65 on the north and south sides, I-74 (sort of, doesn't go straight into downtown from the west side), I-70. Property taxes in general are pretty reasonable all around (although I have to admit I have been humbled. My search for a home in Wisconsin has skewed my view. My taxes in Indy would be double in Wisconsin!)

Old 01-15-2008, 10:53 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,986 times
I second the person who mentioned that Carmel Taxes are actually not so high.
Have you considered Westfield? It is probably going to be pricey for land that size since as carmel gets filled up the developers are heading into Westfield. My guess is that the small towns around Indy (except for the northern ones) will be much cheaper

Old 01-15-2008, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 31,906 times
Thanks for the info on the land there. We are looking all around though it would be nice to be on the west side for sake of conveinence for my husbands commute. The 40 min is okay if the right house comes a long..we need room for our dogs, cats, and chickens...
We worry about how people will treat us knowing we are coming from CA. Everyone assumes CA people are wealthy that is not the case. Life is too expensive here with all the fast pace.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:15 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,896 times
Cyberdol,
I have moved a lot and dealt with a lot of peole who move. One thing I have learned is that wherever you go, it is what YOU bring that matters. If you have a negative attitude about others, that will be reflected. I think you'll be fine though, because you seem very nice so far! I'm still looking for homes for you, have you seen any you have questions about?

Old 01-16-2008, 08:49 AM
SJU

131 posts, read 722,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdol View Post
We are looking all around though it would be nice to be on the west side for sake of conveinence for my husbands commute.
Definitely try Brownsburg or Moorseville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis