Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 10:10 AM

1,180 posts, read 984,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
You cannot compare Seattle with Indianapolis. Seattle has geographic limitations such as the Puget Sound and a hilly topography, Indy is a huge flat area that doesn't really need the density that Bellevue has.
Atlanta doesn't have any physical constraints and has still managed to build almost four distinct skylines. Atlanta isn't really that dense by any measure either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 10:14 AM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
Atlanta doesn't have any physical constraints and has still managed to build almost four distinct skylines. Atlanta isn't really that dense by any measure either.
I think it's at least partially cultural - as in there isn't a great deal of demand for vertical residential living in Indy.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:51 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
I think it's at least partially cultural - as in there isn't a great deal of demand for vertical residential living in Indy.
Metro Atlanta is triple the population of Metro Indianapolis. To be honest, I'm not even sure how you build "almost 4" distinct skylines. Either you have 4 or you don't.

Furthermore, unless those 4 skylines are all residential, I don't think a lack of desire for living in a tall building is the primary culprit. We don't have a ton of tall residential, but what we do have is in high demand and hard to get. Obviously there is some appetite for it.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:55 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Whereas people with money in Indy often prefer to live in a 5,500 sq. foot mansion in Carmel, people w/ money in Bellevue often prefer to live in an 700 sq. foot unit inside a vertical glassbox with a view of Seattle skyline, Lake Washington and mountains.
I don't think most people were given a choice here in the metro area. By and far the only thing really offered in the burbs were single family homes. A few doubles here and there, and I actually see more doubles now in the area I grew up. Going back two decades, the only high rise living I can recall being in the downtown area were the Riley Towers, and maybe Lugar Tower (if it wasn't subsidized back then). There are a few places along Meridian Street, but they were too far north in my opinion. I don't think anything was actually for sale in any of these properties, only for-rent, which many people won't want to rent for decades because that would really be just throwing away money.

It is nice to see some of the newer places being sold as condos, but I can't believe people are actually paying what they are asking.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:58 AM

918 posts, read 1,697,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I don't think most people were given a choice here in the metro area. By and far the only thing really offered in the burbs were single family homes. A few doubles here and there, and I actually see more doubles now in the area I grew up. Going back two decades, the only high rise living I can recall being in the downtown area were the Riley Towers, and maybe Lugar Tower (if it wasn't subsidized back then). There are a few places along Meridian Street, but they were too far north in my opinion. I don't think anything was actually for sale in any of these properties, only for-rent, which many people won't want to rent for decades because that would really be just throwing away money.

It is nice to see some of the newer places being sold as condos, but I can't believe people are actually paying what they are asking.
You kinda alluded to that in the post that I was responded to when you said that people's desire to live a ways out of downtown was a factor in the sprawl. So I would say demand is one of the factors (obviously, not the only factor) in why any metro area looks a certain way.

And I think now there's an upwards trend, literally and figuratively. in the desire for urban living which is why you're seeing these condos being sold for such premium. Even in Carmel, I think there's a bit of a trend for more compact homes - certainly not highrisers, but townhomes and smaller condos instead of mcmansions. I could be wrong though, have not been there in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis