Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 PM

90 posts, read 603,473 times

Advertisements

Which is the top notch, most expensive furniture store in Indy. I am looking for all rooms for my new home. I have been to couple of places and not really impressed. can you suggest any in Indy area????

I have seen some furniture with composite wood( fake wood ). Any experience on this? Are they durable?? are they value for money??? Any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 02:09 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
What type of furniture. I like really modern/comtemporary and could probably give you some idea on that type, but other types, I don't really know.

Isn't Ethan Allen really nice on east 82nd street between Castleton and Fashion Mall.

Edit: actually the best quality furniture place that I have been into lately is Baker Furniture in Clay Terrace. Really expensive, but their stuff just oozes quality. - Have you ever been there - it isn't a big place, and the furniture is somewhat modern, but not modern enough for my tastes. I don't think they have a website.

I really like Houseworks on east 82nd near Castleton and Danish Home furnishings - which is right in Castleton - but neither have the qualilty of Baker Furniture.

Last edited by BU191433; 05-30-2008 at 02:19 PM..

Old 05-30-2008, 02:19 PM

90 posts, read 603,473 times
I am looking for traditional and modern depending on the requirement of the room. like traditional set in family room and modern leather sectional in play area and game room. something like that... Mostly sofas, sectionals and beds.... Any help?

I have been to baker in clay terrace...I believe custom made are little expensive than on the floor stores like Ashley, Kittle. I have been to Ashley and kittle. They are ok but not great. Any suggestions?????

Old 05-30-2008, 02:29 PM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webuser View Post
I am looking for traditional and modern depending on the requirement of the room. like traditional set in family room and modern leather sectional in play area and game room. something like that... Mostly sofas, sectionals and beds.... Any help?

I have been to baker in clay terrace...I believe custom made are little expensive than on the floor stores like Ashley, Kittle. I have been to Ashley and kittle. They are ok but not great. Any suggestions?????

Have you been to Ethan Allen.

I have heard some good things about Havertys in Castleton - supposed to be a step up in quality from Kittles and certainly Ashleys.

Have you been to John Kirk furniture in carmel. Was way too traditional for me, but seemed like quality stuff.

For a modern leather sofa you should really check out Houseworks or Danish Home furnishings

Old 06-01-2008, 11:18 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,702,234 times
Haha, this reminds me of a funny story.

My sister (who lives in INDY) had the same problem, she couldnt find furniture she liked in Indy. So she took a trip up to Chicago, and spent the night there buying furniture over two days, and brought it all home via a UHaul and hired people to move it in. Hey, it was funny at the time, but it worked.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:29 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Oh heck, I know people who take trips down to Asheville, NC and have their stuff shipped up ...

Old 06-02-2008, 06:28 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,644 times
DG,
The furniture is 70 miles east of Asheville on US321 between Lenoir (where it used to be made) and Hickory. My favorite place is Lindy's on hwy 70 in Valdese.
In Indianapolis I like Gerdt's.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:36 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
DG,
The furniture is 70 miles east of Asheville on US321 between Lenoir (where it used to be made) and Hickory. My favorite place is Lindy's on hwy 70 in Valdese.
In Indianapolis I like Gerdt's.
And there ya have it

Old 06-02-2008, 09:47 AM

38 posts, read 180,874 times
John Kirk (on Old Meridian in Carmel) has the most high end stuff I've seen around here. It's worth going to look around if nothing else. Kittle's in Casteton has a high end area too. ---but personally, the thought of spending a couple thousand+ for a chair or table makes me crazy

For my money, Haverty's in Castleton is great. It's a little hit and miss what you might find there, and most of their nicer stuff --while it isn't solid wood (which Im ok with) is good wook laminate over pine or poplar, and not the composite stuff like you mentioned. If JK is the best, I'd say Haverty's is just under or even with Kittle's/Gerdt quality-wise, but the prices make it worth it.

We got a couple of coffee tables at Haverty's that have the "look" of being much more expensive for much less. One large coffee table (4' x 4' top) was about $900 that I saw very similar tables at JK and Kittles for several thousand. Both of the tables we bought at Haverty's have held up well. I always have buyer's remorse after paying for furniture, but Haverty's was the first time I didnt have "serious" buyer's remorse and actually felt like I got a somewhat of a deal

Old 06-17-2016, 04:49 PM

810 posts, read 851,839 times
make sure the drawers have dovetails if not then it is crap.

I would look for real wood but we have some composite/real bedroom furniture and it has really lasted it looks like brand new. I think it is made by Broyhilll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis