Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:06 PM

152 posts, read 746,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Baltimore had national egg on their faces and most likely realized right quick how much money just pulled out from their city coffers. I am sure they thought offering a new team a new stadium would have seemed like they got the last word with Irsay maybe?
Who knows, but I'd be more inclined to say that Irsay had the last laugh after he saw many of the politicians he squabbled with voted out of office soon after he and his business left, not to mention seeing the city of Baltimore realizing that the only way they'd lure a team to their city was if it were to gaurantee that team that it wouldn't be stuck in the old, decrepit, and built-for-baseball Memorial Stadium. Like I said though, who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 05:09 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff3166 View Post
That's laughable. The city of Chicago (ie: public funding) is paying for 62% ($409 million) of the new stadium, and the Bears receive all all proceeds from the naming rights. Dollar-wise, the deal is similar to that of the stadium deal in Indy.

You may not want to believe that Daley didn't get pushed around, but the bottom line is that McCaskey got what he wanted.
He was threatening to leave and Daley said *********, work with what you got.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
I am sorry you have issues with my opinion grmasterb.

1a. I didn't say Robert hasn't done fine things I said I didn't like how the company chose to leave their previous location. I as well know in *some* families the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree. I am not saying the Irsay family I don't know anything about them because I chose not to support them. Ain't America great we all have choices?

2a. No I can't provide a link only going by what is reported on the Indy news stations or Indiana newspapers over this topic. Are you telling me you honestly believe no such conversations ever took place? If it did don't you think it would be behind closed doors BTW?

3a. It happens to be a fact of life I am not on board with. From chain stores putting up score boards at local school's sporting fields, to national pop vendors supplying free machines in our schools "locking in" the use of their product only, to corporations putting their names on public buildings. Not my thing. Didn't say Indiana was the first to sell out did I? Again just my opinion.

4a. Gee whiz are you telling me you don't hear the reports of Colts players involved in gun or club issues? Are you saying all the Colts players walk on golden paths? Come on dude not every person living in Indiana is a Colts fan just like not every person gets into car racing OK? I hope with the guidance of Tony Dungy more will keep on the straight and narrow. I have heard him speak publicly he seems to be a fine man to want to set examples don't you think? I also hope none of them get the national spotlight like some of the Pacers did as well. We are talking about professional sports where egos, salaries and *some* mouths are bigger than the Grand Canyon. Those things tend to not mesh well with good morals, conduct and rules/laws because *some* think they are above them all.

5a. With a big fat corporation's name on it, used in any reports of happenings at the stadium which is free press for the corporate monies given to put their name on the building. Now are you going to stand tall and proud IF Lucas Oil does something that gives them, as a company, bad press nationally? Proud their name is on "our" building in "our" state? All public buildings need to have generic names that reflect the community they are a part of. Again my opinion.

6a. Ever hear of a front man in business? The state of Indiana was the front man for a large corporation named Lucas Oil in this deal. So just as above about free marketing and advertising Lucas Oil has to swallow what flack became of the situation with Hurst Bean Company see? Ever hear if you grease my palm I will grease yours? Pat my back I will pat yours? Do you think the state of Indiana dealt fairly with a company that has been in Indianapolis for over 160 years?

Because I don't support the Colts team like buying clothing or tickets to their games doesn't mean I want them to fail. I am happy Hoosiers have the ability to support a "hometown" NFL team if they choose to. Just my choice in who, how or why I support any business. I am an old school Bears fan, raised that way, watch that way and will die that way just as I am a Cubbie fan for life.

Peace.
Man, you're so cool!

Old 08-28-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Baltimore had national egg on their faces and most likely realized right quick how much money just pulled out from their city coffers. I am sure they thought offering a new team a new stadium would have seemed like they got the last word with Irsay maybe?
The biggest mistake Baltimore made is not keeping the naming rights of the Colts in Baltimore.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:24 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,539,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
The biggest mistake Baltimore made is not keeping the naming rights of the Colts in Baltimore.
Unless they obtained them through a legal settlement, the city of Baltimore had no rights to them. The Colts are a private corporation.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Unless they obtained them through a legal settlement, the city of Baltimore had no rights to them. The Colts are a private corporation.
Right, but unfortunately, you Colts fans can get up on your haunches and tell us to get over it all you want, but the fact remains the same that in 1984, the Colts came to Indy in the dead of night like a bunch of cheatin' husbands. They'll never live that down. Even if "la famille Irsay" pulls out of Indy for whatever city will give them the moon next time, that picture of the trucks driving through the snow in the dark of night will forever haunt that franchise.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
How is that a mistake that Baltimore made? Not sure if you've ever heard of business licenses, but they do exist. The fact of the matter is that the city of Baltimore didn't own the name "Colts", that was the name of Robert Irsay's business.

It's no different than if you owned a business named "domergurl's widgets" in the state of Indiana, but decided that you wanted to move your business to Illinois. You own the name "domergurl's widgets", it's part of your business, and may do with it what you like.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:33 PM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff3166 View Post
How is that a mistake that Baltimore made? Not sure if you've ever heard of business licenses, but they do exist. The fact of the matter is that the city of Baltimore didn't own the name "Colts", that was the name of Robert Irsay's business.

It's no different than if you owned a business named "domergurl's widgets" in the state of Indiana, but decided that you wanted to move your business to Illinois. You own the name "domergurl's widgets", it's part of your business, and may do with it what you like.
Baltimore could have attempted to barter an agreement to keep the name "Colts" if they wanted. See cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens for an example. Houston tried to keep the Oilers moniker but failed if memory serves.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:34 PM

Question cheatin' husbands?

Quote:
Right, but unfortunately, you Colts fans can get up on your haunches and tell us to get over it all you want, but the fact remains the same that in 1984, the Colts came to Indy in the dead of night like a bunch of cheatin' husbands. They'll never live that down. Even if "la famille Irsay" pulls out of Indy for whatever city will give them the moon next time, that picture of the trucks driving through the snow in the dark of night will forever haunt that franchise.
1. Geesh......... it's no different than if you owned a business named "domergurl's widgets" in the state of Indiana, but decided that you wanted to move your business to another state.

Let's say that you're wanting to move your business because profits in your current state are stale, and you want to be in a state that will allow your business to be more prosperous. Let's say that the state of Indiana was opposed to you moving your business, so much so that it filed an imminent domain lawsuit against you/your business, in order to lock you and your business down in the state of Indiana. Let's say that at any moment, a temporary order could be issued by the court that would prevent any action from being taken, by any party, pending completion of the legal process, which could drag on for a year or so and cost who knows how much money.

Would you not be compelled to load up your business and move out of the state of Indiana as soon as possible, and before daybreak if necessary, before a court order could have you and your business locked down in the state?

2. Keep in mind that, while professional sports (and some ametuer sports) is nothing more than entertainment to 99% of us, the bottom line is that it's a business.

3. And last, but not least... so that isn't something that a bunch of cheatin' wives would do? Or, let me guess... there's no such thing as 'cheatin' wives', right? <<<rolling eyes>>>

Old 08-28-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Baltimore could have attempted to barter an agreement to keep the name "Colts" if they wanted. See cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens for an example. Houston tried to keep the Oilers moniker but failed if memory serves.
I agree, they could have tried to make that happen, but the way it was originally posted above was in a way that suggested that Baltimore owned the name 'Colts', and could have retained the name, if desired.

I doubt Irsay would have let let Baltimore keep the name though, regardless. It would have been nice, but he wasn't obligated to do so. There was bad blood on both sides, fueled by the city was talking of building the Orioles a new stadium, but not one for the Colts, meaning they (the Colts) would be the lone tenant of the old, decrepit, and built-for-baseball Memorial Stadium.

I'm not sure about the Oilers situation, although I know when that franchise left Houston, it didn't take "Oilers" with them, they became the Titans. As far as I know, when the league expanded and Houston was awarded a team, they wanted to start fresh, hence- the Houston Texans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis