Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 AM

30 posts, read 74,255 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Indianapolis with a job transfer, and we like the idea of a planned community like the Village of Clay. However, $500k is way above our price point. Are there any similar communities in the Northern burbs that would be in the $250k - $300k range?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:34 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
There are lots and lots of pretty standard subdivisions but no "planned" extensive New Urban developments. Village of West Clay is kind of one of a kind and you pay for it. You might look into Centennial.

Or check out downtown Zionsville for a real village with some pretty nice new homes in and amongst the older village homes.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:53 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Most of the neighborhoods in Fishers/Carmel are planned developments, just different amenity levels. West Clay is the creme de la creme for amenities. You have places like Gray Eagle in Fishers that you should be able to find something in that range. Tanglewood in Fishers as well ...

Old 08-28-2008, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,835 times
Default Alternative to West Clay

Have you tried Stonegate in Zionsville? Personally, I much prefer Zville to Carmel, even the Western edge of it. You might want to check it out. [URL="http://www.stonegatezionsville.com"]www.stonegatezionsville.com[/URL]. Let me know if you have any other questions. I've lived in Indy, Zville, and Carmel during most of the past 20 years, with detours to Cali, FL, and Chicago. Something keeps bringing in me back. . . !

lori

Old 08-28-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahlah View Post
Have you tried Stonegate in Zionsville? Personally, I much prefer Zville to Carmel, even the Western edge of it. You might want to check it out. www.stonegatezionsville.com. Let me know if you have any other questions. I've lived in Indy, Zville, and Carmel during most of the past 20 years, with detours to Cali, FL, and Chicago. Something keeps bringing in me back. . . !

lori
Wow! Thank you for the link, Stonegate looks great! Unfortunately the prices appear to be in the same range as Village of Clay 500k to 800k. I'm afraid I need a home in the 250k to 300k range that will accommodate 3 children and their 2 work-at-home parents. Also, a great elementary school is a priority. Am I out of luck?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:52 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,896 times
Are you married to the idea of the North side? We have a lot of wonderful homes in that price range in Hendricks county. Now, we don't have a Village of West Clay, but we have wonderful schools and planty of shopping. You might want to check Avon out, in that price range you will have a lot to choose from.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:52 PM

Sweetana3, Domergurl, and MikiJayne -
Thank you for the advice -- definitely some good suggestions. My wife has advised me that now that our children are reaching school age, we need to live in an excellent school district. I'm a thousand miles away from Indy, but based on my internet research, the top ranked school districts in the area are: 1) Carmel Clay, 2) Zionsville, 3) Hamilton S.E./Fishers. And so it looks like I'll be restricting my search to those three areas. Are there any areas within those school districts that I should try to avoid? (e.g. I noticed that some homes in the Carmel Clay district have Indianapolis addresses -- will that hurt my resale value?)

Old 08-29-2008, 11:28 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewyCarmel View Post
Sweetana3, Domergurl, and MikiJayne -
Thank you for the advice -- definitely some good suggestions. My wife has advised me that now that our children are reaching school age, we need to live in an excellent school district. I'm a thousand miles away from Indy, but based on my internet research, the top ranked school districts in the area are: 1) Carmel Clay, 2) Zionsville, 3) Hamilton S.E./Fishers. And so it looks like I'll be restricting my search to those three areas. Are there any areas within those school districts that I should try to avoid? (e.g. I noticed that some homes in the Carmel Clay district have Indianapolis addresses -- will that hurt my resale value?)
I don't think so, it's the school district that counts. We chose Fishers/HSE because we didn't want our kids to eventually be in a HS the size of Carmel, but it's still a top school. We left Fishers a year ago, but if we ever go back that way, we'll start our search in Zionsville. It's smaller and they want to keep in that way, but you pay more in housing and taxes. I have nothing against Fishers per se other than we've been there/done that. Fishers was good for us and my oldest daughter received a great education at Fall Creek Elementary.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:14 PM

43 posts, read 134,830 times
you may want to check out some of the new homes that Ryland Homes is doing in West Clay. they are on the west side of towne road. Very cute..not stand alone but big. My wife and I looked at them before we decided to make an offer on one of the cottage homes. there are some other homes that are in the mid 3's may want to try to low ball the owners. I know I took a low ball offer on my home in Portland because I just wanted out.

like this one..

Single Family Home - 2288 Glebe St, Carmel, IN, 46032 - Realtor.com (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?zp=46032&ml=3&mnp=25&mxp=27&typ =1&pfbm=1040000&sid=26c94d8d521a4229842a5a9faad7ed c9&sdir=1&sby=2&pg=5&lid=1099561052&lsn=47&srcnt=8 4#Detail - broken link)

offer them $290 and see what they counter with?

Old 08-29-2008, 03:02 PM

40 posts, read 200,262 times
ChewyCarmel - With regard to the Indianapolis address in Carmel, you may want to look into income taxes. Indianapolis has a 1.65% city income tax rate, but as far as I know Carmel has no city income tax. With an Indy address you may have to pay that income tax.

I know because that happened to me a few years ago in a Columbus, OH suburb with a Columbus address. We got the benefit of the small town amenities and school system, but had to pay city income tax to Columbus. A good realtor should tell you that, but ours failed to mention it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis