Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiJayne View Post
RandomDude, I heard this morning that this is our 14th quarter in a row of being named "Most Affordable" that 3.5 years! I think you'll be ok. We'll still be affordable when you get here. I lived in Chesapeake for a while, and I would give up almost all the affordability to be within 20 minutes of the ocean!

The ocean isnt really important to me, but being able to put my future family in a decent house in an area they can feel safe in, is. That isnt in the cards in Hampton Roads, VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:58 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
When do you think you might be able to make the move?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
When do you think you might be able to make the move?

I dont know, Im really hoping for the end of this year, but the business I work for isnt doing great, and if it happens to go under and I lose my job, I will move rather then try to get something else in the Norfolk area.

Next spring is probably the furthest out I will stay in Virginia though. I might take a week this summer and travel out there and just look around. Ive actually never even been in the state of Indiana, although Ive been in every state it borders, so I dont really know what to expect. My desire to move there is the complete and sole product of measureless amounts of research.

There is nothing more appealing to me then to be able to get a 4 bedroom house with 2 baths, a huge master that actually can fit a king size bed, a garage 2000 sqft or more and a nice yard for under 150k in a swank suburb, and on top of that get a 15% raise or more. Obviously here in the Norfolk area, for that, the best I can hope for is a two bedroom townhouse in a neighborhood with an intolerable level of crime.

I dont really mind the vinyl jungles residents of Indy seem to complain about all the time. I dont care at all, that my house looks identical to my neighbors, and I dont care if its got "character". What concerns me much more is safety and affordability. By affordability, I dont mean a 250k 1200 sqft 3 bedroom ranch with a falling down fence that qualifies as "affordable" in the Hampton Roads area. I mean actual affordability, like the mortgage comes to 25% of my gross salary.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:43 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
Well, you have certainly chosen the right area then! I live in a western suburb of Indy. I can get downtown in about 20 minutes, but don't really need to unless I want to, because all the shopping and dining I could want are here. I have a 2300 sq foot home in a nice neighborhood where I get along with my neighbors and our kids play together, I have a third of an acre, which is plenty for the boys to play with our large breed puppy. The neighbors watch out for each other and the worst I have ever heard of in my neighborhood as fasr as crimes is a "Budweiser" neon sign stolen out of a guy's garage by a teenager.

I bought my home for under $140,000. My kids go to 4-star schools, and the taxes are very reasonable. I don't have a house with hardwood floors or built-in bookshelves, but it is a house that we are comfortable in.

I know you'll like Indiana if that is what you're looking for.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Well, you have certainly chosen the right area then! I live in a western suburb of Indy. I can get downtown in about 20 minutes, but don't really need to unless I want to, because all the shopping and dining I could want are here. I have a 2300 sq foot home in a nice neighborhood where I get along with my neighbors and our kids play together, I have a third of an acre, which is plenty for the boys to play with our large breed puppy. The neighbors watch out for each other and the worst I have ever heard of in my neighborhood as fasr as crimes is a "Budweiser" neon sign stolen out of a guy's garage by a teenager.

I bought my home for under $140,000. My kids go to 4-star schools, and the taxes are very reasonable. I don't have a house with hardwood floors or built-in bookshelves, but it is a house that we are comfortable in.

I know you'll like Indiana if that is what you're looking for.

That is EXACTLY what Im looking for!

Old 02-28-2009, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 8,290 times
I have found that all the tech jobs here are through staffing companies and most the staffing companies have the same jobs lined up. You spend time spinning your wheels meeting all the staffing companies only to find they are submitting you for the same job you were just submitted to the week before. Contracted thru another sub-contractor and so on. Very low wages for the work they want done too. So the homes better be cheap if the wages are.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2Indy68 View Post
I have found that all the tech jobs here are through staffing companies and most the staffing companies have the same jobs lined up. You spend time spinning your wheels meeting all the staffing companies only to find they are submitting you for the same job you were just submitted to the week before. Contracted thru another sub-contractor and so on. Very low wages for the work they want done too. So the homes better be cheap if the wages are.

Its all about standard of living though. I would rather make, say, 50k in Indiana, and live in what amounts to an urban mansion, then 100k in Manhattan, and live in a 1 bedroom apartment in a bad building.

That is my problem now. Even if I made the same amount (which it appears that my profession actually pays about 15-25% more in Indiana), I would be able to buy a nice house in a good neighborhood, as opposed to a small townhouse in the gutter here.

Its never the wage to me, its how much the wage can buy.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Its all about standard of living though. I would rather make, say, 50k in Indiana, and live in what amounts to an urban mansion, then 100k in Manhattan, and live in a 1 bedroom apartment in a bad building.

That is my problem now. Even if I made the same amount (which it appears that my profession actually pays about 15-25% more in Indiana), I would be able to buy a nice house in a good neighborhood, as opposed to a small townhouse in the gutter here.

Its never the wage to me, its how much the wage can buy.
Sounds like you'll like Indy, from the little that I know of it. It is considered a safe and affordable place; one that is good for raising a family. Where it lacks compared to other cities is diversity of employment opportunities and certain cultural/entertainment avenues. Your daily life should be better in Indy than many other larger cities, but your options maybe a bit limited in certain areas.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 AM

682 posts, read 1,630,036 times
I will be so glad when all those people from out of town get here and start buying, I am so tired of hearing the locals complain that property is too expensive here. Most of them have never lived anywhere else and have no idea whata great bargain Indianapolis is.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
I will be so glad when all those people from out of town get here and start buying, I am so tired of hearing the locals complain that property is too expensive here. Most of them have never lived anywhere else and have no idea whata great bargain Indianapolis is.
Wait ... there are actually people that think that Indiana home prices are HIGH??? They're high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis