Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 05:34 PM

50 posts, read 133,622 times

Advertisements

I hope Indianapolis gets this the sooner the better!

Native hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
I found this picture on the web. Hopefully Indianapolis will be like this sometime in the future. However, I do not know if this exact plan is possible. Props to "dccoolcat" on the SkycraperCity forum for creating/posting this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Rinky-dink Columbus already has TWO parking garages.

Get with the program people.....or bring your light rail to US. We already have at least two users on this board who would use it.

Seriously, I think the immediate commuting suburbs need it more urgently. But someday? I would totally hop a train to Indy and, hopefully, someday, to Chicago (dreaming big here!) if that was available.
Yea! And we have a Hotel Indigo too, just like Fishers, only we didn't raise a stink about the aesthetics of the building ... we embraced it, but I digress.

Oh man, Plaidmom, I will be on that first high speed train to Chicago ... or Cincinnati for that matter ...

Old 10-24-2010, 12:14 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
So does anybody know of any updates regarding this topic (specifically commuter rail/light rail service)?

Old 10-24-2010, 03:19 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
if it takes taxpayer or gov-mint money to do it ... it ain't-a gonna happen.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:59 PM

369 posts, read 681,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
So does anybody know of any updates regarding this topic (specifically commuter rail/light rail service)?
Actually, Gary Welsh of the Advance Indiana blog had a recent post about this topic. Advance Indiana: Star Backs Ballard's Regional Tax To Fund Public Transportation

Basically, it is an Indianapolis Star editorial about supporting more regional taxes for another billion dollar slush fund, I mean project, so a select few can get very wealthy. The plan has already changed from the original for I-70 from Post Rd. to the Mt. Comfort Rd. (a/k/a CR 600 W, a/k/a Olio Rd. in Hamilton Co.) interchange. This is the first interchange off I-70 outside of Indy in Hancock Co. Before, they were going to add a lane and make it a toll lane, so not only would you get to pay taxes for this added traffic lane, you would have to pay an additional fee to use it.

Well, INDOT just reported that they are widening I-70 to three lanes in each direction from the Mt. Comfort interchange to Post Rd. This has nothing to do with Indy Connect. So I checked their current map/plan. Well they still claim they will build additional lanes, but they have now added an express bus service indicator, basically a bus from Mt. Comfort interchange to downtown, I guess.

Well, as is the case, this project is more about bailing out rich folks in Hamilton County. The bulk of this massive pork project will be for a commuter rail line from Fishers to downtown. I read or heard, somewhere, that the first parts that get built are: The light rail line from the airport to downtown, and the Fishers to downtown line. Everyone else will get screwed if they think they will ever see their promises come to life. All they will do is offer up apologies. I hope the GA votes to not allow this entity to become a taxing one. If they do, and this does go for a vote, I plan on voting NO and doing whatever I can to keep Hancock Co. citizens from getting taxed to pay for this Indy/Hamilton Co. traffic bailout.

Last edited by Ravekid; 10-25-2010 at 06:09 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
Well, as is the case, this project is more about bailing out rich folks in Hamilton County. The bulk of this massive pork project will be for a commuter rail line from Fishers to downtown. I read or heard, somewhere, that the first parts that get built are: The light rail line from the airport to downtown, and the Fishers to downtown line. Everyone else will get screwed if they think they will ever see their promises come to life. All they will do is offer up apologies. I hope the GA votes to not allow this entity to become a taxing one. If they do, and this does go for a vote, I plan on voting NO and doing whatever I can to keep Hancock Co. citizens from getting taxed to pay for this Indy/Hamilton Co. traffic bailout.
Well what you fail to understand is that this plan is meant to bring the entire metro area forward. Sure, it will benefit certain areas more before others, but that is because those areas actually have some demand for it. For example, how would it make sense to build a rail line to Martinsville or Greenfield with their current populations? Once those areas see the growth Hamilton County has experienced, they will get rail service too.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Well what you fail to understand is that this plan is meant to bring the entire metro area forward. Sure, it will benefit certain areas more before others, but that is because those areas actually have some demand for it. For example, how would it make sense to build a rail line to Martinsville or Greenfield with their current populations? Once those areas see the growth Hamilton County has experienced, they will get rail service too.
It isn't about bringing "the entire metro area forward." It is about what all these projects are about: Making the political class, and connected others, wealthy. It is a billion dollar plus tax grab and the bulk of that money will end up in various personal bank accounts. If there is such a demand, there shouldn't be any need for regional taxation. The demand alone would mean enough people would pay for the service to use it.

Another aspect of this plan is to continue on the horrible concept that downtown Indy MUST be a job core. The entire metro area is now nine counties for the most part...but pro-urban people don't want anything like lots of mini downtowns start popping up in the other counties. Some folks are already upset of the commercial three and four story buildings up in Carmel, because all those places took possible jobs away from the 'downtown core.'

This rail system from Fishers to downtown is about moving people to and from their jobs downtown Mon-Friday. Folks claim it will bring people down to shop at Circle Centre Mall, to just hangout, etc.. That will happen, but nothing like the pushers of this plan think. If it really does take off, that only means places like Castleton Sq. Mall and Hamilton Town Center end up loosing customer traffic. Once again, about trying to boost downtown Indy at the expense of others.

And actually, it does make sense to build the rail lines. You shouldn't wait for the populations, you should lay the rail now, with the station(s), then zone around those places. Oh wait, it isn't about proper planning, it's about making certain folks rich, keeping downtown Indy going, etc.. Of course they aren't going to even lay the network for the rails, they will allow development in those counties, then throw up their hands saying rail is too costly and land acquisition would be a nightmare. If one really wants walkable neighborhoods, thousands of home occupants being able to walk to shopping and retail, then they should lay this rail system to all the counties in the area. They don't have to start the trains right this second, but the groundwork should be put down now, not later when it will be harder to do.

I'm voting no until they actually give me the rail service. I'm not going to subsidize anything that is only around to make some folks wealthy, prop up downtown Indy as a jobs center, and make the rush hour commute less stressful for rich folks.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:45 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,274 times
Well the survey numbers sound great, but I'm sure most of the people who voted are for the plan. I think the proposal for rail to the airport and Zionsville are both fairly necessary. The route to Zionsville could be used by people in Westfield, Carmel, and Lebanon too.
Plans for regional transit system pick up steam - 13 WTHR

Old 10-27-2010, 06:27 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
I'm voting no until they actually give me the rail service. I'm not going to subsidize anything that is only around to make some folks wealthy, prop up downtown Indy as a jobs center, and make the rush hour commute less stressful for rich folks.
Too bad Chicago wastes money on commuter rail service to bring people to work downtown. If we stopped wasting money on this maybe we could be a world class city like Indianapolis.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Too bad Chicago wastes money on commuter rail service to bring people to work downtown. If we stopped wasting money on this maybe we could be a world class city like Indianapolis.
Chicago isn't Indianapolis, and if Indy ever becomes Chicago, great...I will be making close to $100K at my government job. Of course tuition will have to double, cause that is life in the "big city." Taxes will need to spike up as well, because cities are expensive. Anyone who wants my home will have to fork over $300, maybe $400K for it, when I paid just $130K. I don't want Indy to be like Chicago. All it is about is corruption of government, massive taxation, everyone living under one big debt (public and private) umbrella.

However, if building a stupid rail system means I can cash out my home for $400K, and get some smuck to actually pay that for it, then fine. I will do just what folks in California did. Sell my home, take my huge gains, take my Indiana taxpayer funded retirement, and get the hell out of dodge to avoid the ever increasing demands for more taxation.

The only people who think Chicago is "world class" are urban cheerleaders. I'm not an urban cheerleader, by go ahead and turn Indy into world class status, so long as I can find some idiot to take out a $400K ARM for my home because it is 20 mins. to downtown, I could careless. I can easily reduce my taxation living in a world class city by working side jobs and avoiding income taxes. I will also stop spending money at the mom and pop places, and when I do have to eat out, just tip the minimum.

Oh, what is so world class by having around 400 homicides a year? Ask Natasha McShane and Stancy Jurich how world class Chicago is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis