Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 03:19 PM

423 posts, read 1,248,859 times

Advertisements

Section 8 is entirely overstated. Many people assume that all landlords opt for Section 8 when an apartment complex begins to "turn" (and I assume I don't need to explain what that means). Section 8 is only one facet of many, but most of the time, apartments that are 25 years old simply aren't marketable to people with higher incomes. They tend to be beat up, have old appliances, worn carpet, etc. And landlords don't simply reap enough money by renovating them to compete with the shiny new complexes three miles away. Thus, these older complexes become second- and third-tier apartments, which in turn attracts a clientele that cannot afford the first-tier types.

The little logo of a house with an equals sign in the middle simply translates to "Equal Housing Opportunity" meaning that it follows the HUD standards for ensuring housing access for all citizens, regardless of race, creed....all the characteristics by which people are required by law not to discriminate. This includes disability status, meaning that these apartment owners will do their best to accommodate people in wheelchairs or with other disabilities. And while it means they MIGHT also offer access for a certain number of people through vouchers or Section 8 or similar programs, it does not automatically equate to Section 8. Nearly all complexes have the little Equal Housing Opportunity Logo.

Apartments in Castleton are aging. The neighborhood in general is good but the yuppies seeking top-tier apartments are usually looking for their options in Carmel. Castleton apartments will draw a broader demographic array, but that by no means implies that they are riddled with crime. You can usually tell if an apartment is mostly Section 8 just by a quick glance, even simply using Google Street View. The best examples of these would be apartments on the west side around 38th and the Interstate, or some of the complexes at 71st and Michigan Road. Such apartments have police calls routinely. Most, if not all, apartments in Castleton have a fraction of the crime associated with the truly "bad" locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 07:01 AM

369 posts, read 681,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
Section 8 is entirely overstated. Many people assume that all landlords opt for Section 8 when an apartment complex begins to "turn" (and I assume I don't need to explain what that means).

Apartments in Castleton are aging. The neighborhood in general is good but the yuppies seeking top-tier apartments are usually looking for their options in Carmel. Castleton apartments will draw a broader demographic array, but that by no means implies that they are riddled with crime. You can usually tell if an apartment is mostly Section 8 just by a quick glance, even simply using Google Street View. The best examples of these would be apartments on the west side around 38th and the Interstate, or some of the complexes at 71st and Michigan Road. Such apartments have police calls routinely. Most, if not all, apartments in Castleton have a fraction of the crime associated with the truly "bad" locations.
I agree with some of what you are saying, but disagree on some parts. Not all complexes have the HUD logo on their sign. There is no requirement to post it, and I see no need to post it. However, every complex that I know is completely, or % wise, takes Section 8 for poor, single mothers (in most cases) puts this logo on their sign. I believe it is required _if_ the complex taxes Section 8 vouchers, be it for single parents, or poor elderly people.

As far as being able to tell from looking. Yes and no. You will find more junk cars in Section 8 complexes, but the age/look might not be all that bad. A great case study is the brand new (as in built just two years ago) complex on the far east side of Indy. It was approved by the Petterson administration, over the objections of Cumberland. While not in Cumberland, Cumberland folks knew what will eventually become of the complex. As soon as it opens up, an IMPD officer I know who works that beat said it was already the source of a high number of police calls. The complex was involved in two major crimes as well:
#1: The smash in grab at Don's Guns. Kids drove a stolen car through Don's Guns and steal guns. Cops investigate, find out the thieves are at this complex. They try to stop them, they get into a vehicle pursuit, and they catch them. The kids drove from this Section 8 cesspool to the older complex in Cumberland.
#2: There was an armed robbery of an armored truck about a half mile from this complex. Both suspects fled to the area of this complex.

In addition to the above, gang graffiti immediately appeared on the complex soon after it opened. Plus, you could tell that some of the garages that face the mall, had already been broken into (doors were cocked partially open). One time I decided to drive through the complex. While it looks new and nice on the outside, I saw what I constantly see in ghettos: Trash. I can't blame the entire neighborhood, but it wouldn't surprise me if many of the residents, or their visitors, were responsible for the trash. The retention pond had trash all around the shoreline area. I couldn't believe how much trash was in that body of water. There was also some trash just around the units as well, but not that much.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:13 AM

780 posts, read 1,542,654 times
In short, Castleton is a safe area. I have lived there. Like any area in the U.S., you have to be aware of your surroundings. There are several areas in Indy that are not as safe, but you will be fine in the Castleton area.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,153,738 times
I also have been through the area just to the north of Castleton where East 91st Street Christian Church is and that area looks stable and decent to me. I've also gone into some condo complexes there and the homes appear to be well maintained with no junky looking vehicles out in front.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:41 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
The apartments in Castleton are safe, but are a little worn. However, the traffic is horrible, and you should take that into consideration before moving.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:27 AM

In my opinion, about the only time traffic becomes horrible in Castleton is during Christmas shopping season. Other than that, it is manageable.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:00 PM

156 posts, read 434,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
The apartments in Castleton are safe, but are a little worn. However, the traffic is horrible, and you should take that into consideration before moving.
Horrible compared to where? It's much better than Carmel.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:10 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
The traffic near the interstate during rush hour is the only time that was bad for me. I suppose it would depend on the location of the apartments, but from 96th and Allisonville to 82nd street during rush hour just to go to Marsh got tiresome.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:42 PM

156 posts, read 434,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
The traffic near the interstate during rush hour is the only time that was bad for me. I suppose it would depend on the location of the apartments, but from 96th and Allisonville to 82nd street during rush hour just to go to Marsh got tiresome.
Isn't there a Marsh at 116th & Aliisonville? That's only about half a mile difference.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:01 PM

Yes I believe there is also a Marsh at 116th and Allisonville in the northeast quadrant of that intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis