Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:51 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,773,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Agree. I am NOT a fan of Wikipedia but I do use it to look up dates or little facts, like the other day. Watching Jay Leno and he said something about someone's kids. I thought "this dude cannot have kids to say something like that", Google > Wikipedia > Jay has no kids.
Things like that can be trusted but otherwise I almost always skip the Wikipedia link.
I'm with you. . .I go there primarily to check dates of birth and to see if someone is still living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,727,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
Wikipedia is known to have an extreme liberal bias and nothing on it can be trusted. Especially the sections on climate change and evolution.
Do I detect a bit of bias here?

Hmmm, page 16.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:31 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,669,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'm getting quite a chuckle from this thread. Specifically the mention of the owners of Wiki having an agenda and anyone being able to add whatever they want, true or not.

Yet the same people who wrote these comments will rely completely on a history book from the library.
Ironic, isn't it.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:11 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,221,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Wikipedia is a good place to find source material that is used as citations, beyond that I'd be careful about what you use.
This is my take on Wikipedia. The material is good enough to get you started, give you some input on the topic, check the citations at the bottom of the page for further research. Just as you would with any other reference. Follow the links, then follow the links.

If I'd had the internet as a reference tool when I was in school I might have been more interested.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:09 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I made some corrections for some basic non controversial information for an industry I've persoanlly been involved in for 20 years and my family has been involved in since 1920. All were removed, that was my first and last contribution. They are still wrong to this day.
Yes. Exactly.

Personal experience, and being a system expert on a topic, is discarded in favor of 'political correctness' or some other thing. I can not exactly put my finger on why or the motive.

To say 'political correctness' seems to draw politics into it, which I am not sure is 100% correct either.

'World view' maybe but to what end? And whose world view?

Old 07-11-2015, 06:31 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,862,798 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest
Wikipedia is biased
They are also quite stupid!!

They recently started FORCING SSL!!!!!! (https)

FOR WHAT??? ALL THE STUFF ON THIER SITE IS PUBLIC INFO

Totally stupid... SSL is only meant for BANKING SITES!!! (financial,etc) -- Its not needed for sites like thiers!!!!

People have totally lost it...... They put SSL on a site that does not need it!!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
They are also quite stupid!!

They recently started FORCING SSL!!!!!! (https)

FOR WHAT??? ALL THE STUFF ON THIER SITE IS PUBLIC INFO

Totally stupid... SSL is only meant for BANKING SITES!!! (financial,etc) -- Its not needed for sites like thiers!!!!

People have totally lost it...... They put SSL on a site that does not need it!!
Wikipedia and most content-oriented sites absolutely do need SSL to be successful in this competitive climate.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:12 PM

16,553 posts, read 19,725,221 times
I cannot believe Dude111 is ANTI-SSL?!?!?! Are you kidding me?? You must not totally understand what it's for.
It's much more then just for banking sites. It's a safe way to transmit data...all data.

I'm surprised you aren't demanding every site use SSL.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:04 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,862,798 times
Because SSL doesnt stop anyone!!!!

The govt can STILL SEE all SSL traffic..... Who are you cooperating with?? -- You dont know......... Its all just BS to lock stuff down even more and give them total control!!

Old 07-13-2015, 06:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,092,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Because SSL doesnt stop anyone!!!!
You're anyone. How do you obtain the private key?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet