Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 03:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
250 GB/Month

What the heck are they doing?

I watch a lot of movies via Netflix, but my top usage for a month is about 50 GB tops. Watching a movie right now on my other screen.
The bitrate for netflix is relatively low for their "HD" content, if you were getting HD content at higher bitrates you'd eat through the 250GB quickly. I believe the bitrate for a blu ray disc averages around 24mbps, if you had a cable connection that fast you'd go through roughly about 12GB/hour.

Not sure exactly what codec or bitrate they use but the quality is not going to be comparable to disc. Larger TV's will certainly show it's limitations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 01:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I just got a letter in the mail yesterday from my cable company (Suddenlink) "suggesting" that I log on to view my summary of cable usage. They said, in order to make sure I didn't have a virus sucking bandwidth or that there is no unathorized user jacking into my modem.

I smell something bubbling beneath the surface.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I just got a letter in the mail yesterday from my cable company (Suddenlink) "suggesting" that I log on to view my summary of cable usage. They said, in order to make sure I didn't have a virus sucking bandwidth or that there is no unathorized user jacking into my modem.

I smell something bubbling beneath the surface.
They clearly flagged your account for extreme usage. Virii (well, mostly bots really) and bandwidth jacking are common reasons for excessive bandwidth usage, so the suggestion doesn't seem off to me.

Although, heavy users will use just as high bandwidth as well, so yea, they might not be happy with your usage pattern. Let's hope that they're just being proactive for your safety and don't have any plans to slap you on the wrist.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Charter, my ISP provider, has had a 100, 250, or 500 (depending on the plan you have) cap since at least 2009, so this is nothing new. Check the fine print from your provider, I bet you will find the same thing. If not it will probably be coming to the fine print soon.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:06 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,621 times
I did have charter out in Ca and i had the highest boardband package that they offered at the time and i used to watch tv shows on hulu when i was off work and that was about 45 shows a week on the package i had plus surfing the internet and useing my Itunes account to download music i like .. ..

I have the same package in the NYC

Old 04-10-2011, 06:36 AM

672 posts, read 2,114,136 times
All I can say is that I am totally green with envy. I live in the boondocks and my only option right now is mobile broadband with Verizon with a monthly cap of 5GB for the low low price of $59.99 before paying $0.05 extra per MB I am hoping and praying that a decent competitor comes along soon!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:51 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,390,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
All I can say is that I am totally green with envy. I live in the boondocks and my only option right now is mobile broadband with Verizon with a monthly cap of 5GB for the low low price of $59.99 before paying $0.05 extra per MB I am hoping and praying that a decent competitor comes along soon!
Wow.. I feel for you, Mary Ann. There are probably some great advantages to living in the boondocks, but broadband isn't one of them.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:28 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
ATT has got to be one of the crappiest data communications companies on the planet right now. I know they have been ranked dead last in customer service for a few years now. It must really suck to live in an area where there is no competition for Internet service.

I sure hope the T mobile buyout gets nix but I doubt it. I canceled my land line with them two years ago and have been using VoIP services ever since for a house phone.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:39 PM

12 posts, read 21,676 times
I agree. ATT is also very expensive.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
Wow.. I feel for you, Mary Ann. There are probably some great advantages to living in the boondocks, but broadband isn't one of them.
Yep, it certainly is trade off. Though depending on circumstances, a person if they have the right requirements can help to encourage more options in their locations. My grandfather lived out away from town and getting internet connection that wasn't dialup was always a difficult venture. He made a deal with one of the companies there and they put up a cell tower to extend service and he was able to get internet service for those in his area through a new upstart there. It worked out well because he makes about 500 bucks a month for them to use his land and now he gets a fair speed connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet