Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 09:59 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times

Advertisements

I admire what Zuckerberg accomplished with Facebook but it irritates me to no end every time he still claims Facebook is a "communications" tool.
Facebook long ago ceased to be a communication tool. Facebook is primarily a voyeuristic and vanity tool.

I still remember Facebook before photos were introduced and I would bet myh bottom dollar that Facebook's explosive sustainedd growth and ever lengthening user log on times were due to the introduction of photos. "Statuses" and "walls" enhance the voyeur/vanity drivers of Facebook as well.

I'm not saying Zuckerberg or Facebook are doing anything wrong. I just wish Sanderg and himself would stop peddling the line that Facebook is a comm tool. Which they never fail to do in any interview. Which only tells me that they believe the need to hammer this point at every opportunity.
In it's present incarnation, Facebook caters to the weaker side of human psychology and that's why it's so popular.

If one wants to see a communications tool than look at twitter (and it's the same reason it won't ever get as big as Facebook).

I'd love to expound on the subject as it's very interesting but I don't want to bore people.

/rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 10:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Facebook is an advertising tool. Every business has its "Visit Us On Facebook" message. It's lost its novelty a long time ago. Boring, common, a fad.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Facebook is an advertising tool. Every business has its "Visit Us On Facebook" message. It's lost its novelty a long time ago. Boring, common, a fad.
You're right. Adverts and selling analytics (aka user info) is how Facebook derives its revenue.

What actually drives people to Facebook and keeps them there is voyeurism and vanity.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:12 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Isnt advertising a form of communication?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:31 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
Why does it have to be ONE thing? I use it as a communication tool all the time....but it's multi-faceted, as it should be.

Where's the anti-facebook "no-privacy" bandwagoneers? I expected a full-blown riot in here.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You're right. Adverts and selling analytics (aka user info) is how Facebook derives its revenue.

What actually drives people to Facebook and keeps them there is voyeurism and vanity.
<shrug> I don't use it much, it's nice to be able to pop in and see pics of my neices or hear from old highschool friends and whatnot.

I think you guys may need to understand the difference in usage between some 20yo facebook addict and many of the rest of us who use it more casually.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Isnt advertising a form of communication?
Rape is also a form of sex.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Why does it have to be ONE thing? I use it as a communication tool all the time....but it's multi-faceted, as it should be.

Where's the anti-facebook "no-privacy" bandwagoneers? I expected a full-blown riot in here.
It doesn't have to be one thing but the main driver of Facebook isn't communication.

I have o problem with Facebook per se part from the fact that Zuckerberg and Sandberg keep on peddling the :communication" line when they certainly know better.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
I disagree. Facebook's biggest driver is communication. If you take away the communication, then all you have is a place of storage where people store data, links, photos, etc.

Facebook is all about sharing and, yes, advertising, both of which are forms of communication. It is very effective at linking one or more people together allowing them to communicate.

In fact, you can go as far as saying Facebook is a near-perfect incarnation of Matthew Jameson's research on rich communication at AT&T Labs in the late 80's/early 90's. Take a look at their model and it demonstrates the clear usage of such ties of information as communication.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:09 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I disagree. Facebook's biggest driver is communication. If you take away the communication, then all you have is a place of storage where people store data, links, photos, etc.

Facebook is all about sharing and, yes, advertising, both of which are forms of communication. It is very effective at linking one or more people together allowing them to communicate.

In fact, you can go as far as saying Facebook is a near-perfect incarnation of Matthew Jameson's research on rich communication at AT&T Labs in the late 80's/early 90's. Take a look at their model and it demonstrates the clear usage of such ties of information as communication.
Correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet