Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 04:39 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,356,282 times

Advertisements

After spending 1-wk calling Comcast & CenturyLink (Denver phone co) for info on setting up a new account for ‘net access only (don’t need bundled pkg as we don’t watch TV or need a home phone), my head is spinning with the wildly varying prices & instructions I’ve received. The SO has also called both co’s on multiple days & has gotten similarly conflicting & confusing stories. If I check the website, then call, then initiate chat, I receive 3 different prices, pkgs & specials, if any. We just want the cheapest way to get online from home... prefer wireless for convenience.

Neither of us has ever set up a network, so are at the mercy of those telling us we need a cable modem & router, or phone modem & router, or just a router, or just a modem, can use the Cox Communications modem we purchased in CA or can’t, etc. He was told by CLink they offer a modem/router combo… I called & was told no such thing exists. We’re now so confused, we have no idea what we need.

I don’t expect a full lesson (at the annoyance of others ) & upon searching the forum, Cnet & Newegg websites, haven’t found exactly what I need. Honestly, some of the info is a bit over my head… wifi adapters & routers & modems, oh my! Can someone refer me to a webpage which will help to explain wireless ‘net & routers so even a novice such as myself can understand?

Also, I had a basic question, which might bypass needing further help:

* My complex offers free ‘net access in the clubhouse. In my last Denver apt, we were lucky enough to be able to pull the free wi-fi signal into our flat. I’m guessing it’s too far away… we’re about 50-yds as the crow flies & yes, blocked by a couple of 2 story townhouses in our complex. Is it possible I can just attach an external antenna to my laptop to pull in the signal or is it the other bldgs blocking the signal?

Also, should this matter, I have 2 PCs & the SO has a Mac.

Thank you so much.
Wireless in Denver (fortunately, we're not sans patience!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,109,437 times
What service are you looking for? Cheapest cable internet? I'm not sure where the phone compnay would fit into that equation....

Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 PM

In a nutshell a modem is required for Comcast service, you can rent one from them but if you expect to have the service for a while you might as well buy one. You'll have to check their page for one you can use that are compatible with their service.

This modem has an Ethernet jack on it. You can plug one device right into it with an Ethernet cable, you should have Ethernet a jack on your computer. The jacks and the cable look like big phone jacks/ cords. If you only need to plug in one device and can do it with a Ethenet cable you don't need anything else.

If you want to hook multiple devices or want to do it wireless you need a router (you can think of this as a splitter), the router gets plugged into the modem and it has 4 Ethernet ports. If it's wireless router it can be used wireless or by plugging in Ethernet cable. You can buy routers at any electronics store.

For wireless you also need a wireless adapter on your computer, it might already have one. If not you'll need to purchase one at the electronics store.

I should also note you can buy combo units where the modem and router are one device.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What service are you looking for? Cheapest cable internet? I'm not sure where the phone compnay would fit into that equation....
Hiya CM... Cheapest 'net to home, regardless of it's source. As I said, we don't need cable (TV, that is) nor a home phone... but, my understanding is I've got to purchase one service or the other to bring the 'net into the home, yeah? Then the router would allow us to be wireless inside the home? Sorry for the eye roll q's, but not all of us are technologically savvy, hence my post.

Firstly, my complex's free wi-fi would be optimal, so if an external antenna could solve that, I'm all in. Just asking if that's possible with an external antenna? If not, since I own a cable modem & Comcast indicated (during 1 phone call... not others) that it's compatible with Comcast, I'd opt for that... so I'm guessing I still need to purchase a router?

I can do my own research on brand/price, etc. Just trying to do it the easiest and/or cheapest way to have wireless 'net at home.

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Firstly, my complex's free wi-fi would be optimal,
If you have free wi-fi available you should only need a wireless adapter on your computer. I would assume they have it password protected and you'd have to contact management for the password... You sure you don't already have one? They don't necessarily have an antennae.

I just bought this one and I'm quite happy, it's USB so it's easy to install:

Newegg.com - Rosewill RNX-N180UBE Wireless Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 1T2R / 5 dBi External Antenna / Up to 300Mbps Wireless Download Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP (Hex & ASCII), WPA/WPA2, WPA(TKIP with IEEE

Quote:
Comcast indicated (during 1 phone call... not others) that it's compatible with Comcast, I'd opt for that... so I'm guessing I still need to purchase a router?
If you went with Comcast you only need the modem unless you need access for more than one device or can't connect with Ethernet cable.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:49 PM

7,525 posts, read 13,651,179 times
Consider these alternatives:

WiMax service
SKYBEAM High-Speed Internet and Unlimited Phone

Mobile 4G Hotspot
Verizon Wireless - Explore

Old 11-14-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
In a nutshell a modem is required for Comcast service, you can rent one from them but if you expect to have the service for a while you might as well buy one. You'll have to check their page for one you can use that are compatible with their service.
Right, I already own a modem.

Quote:
If you want to hook multiple devices or want to do it wireless you need a router.
Great, this is what I needed to verify... we have 3 laptops.

Quote:
For wireless you also need a wireless adapter on your computer, it might already have one.
Yes, we've got them on all laptops. No trouble pulling in wifi if a connection is available.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
If you have free wi-fi available you should only need a wireless adapter on your computer. I would assume they have it password protected and you'd have to contact management for the password... You sure you don't already have one? They don't necessarily have an antennae.

I just bought this one and I'm quite happy, it's USB so it's easy to install...
Great, thanks CM. Yes, I'm online now at the clubhouse & all is well... just want to pull the signal into my home... not sure why I can't make that clear. Unsure I can do it with an external antenna... maybe several homes are blocking the signal? I'm hoping it's just due to being further away.

In any event, I'll visit OfficeMax tonight & buy an antenna to try, if they'll allow me to return it should it not work. If not, guess we'll go the Comcast route, since I own a cable modem & would only need to purchase a router.

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Consider these alternatives:

WiMax service
Thank you Reed. Looks like I'd need either the $49-59/mo plan for streaming speed, so the other options (Comcast/CLink) were less expensive.

Quote:
Mobile 4G Hotspot
That looks like it's for Verizon smartphones/tablets. We've just got your basic laptop. But, cheers for effort!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Great, thanks CM. Yes, I'm online now at the clubhouse & all is well... just want to pull the signal into my home... not sure why I can't make that clear. Unsure I can do it with an external antenna... maybe several homes are blocking the signal? I'm hoping it's just due to being further away.
The one I listed works great. I get 2 or 3 bars from the neighbors house , not sure which house it is but it's at least 100 yards away. It don't have to use the stand but if you do you can move it around to try and get better reception. Thjat's why I bought but I didn't need to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet