Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 05:37 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,822,678 times

Advertisements

I was spending some time this evening researching Netflix to see if it might be something I was interested in, and was unable to find any kind of search box on the website for guests. I googled several variations of "Netflix search" and 3rd party websites came up that offered a way to search the Netflix site. This didn't make a lot of sense for a site like Netflix that supposedly offers a large selection of movies, TV programs, etc.

As someone wanting to make an intelligent decision about whether or not to sign up for a service such as Netflix, how is it possible to evaluate the offerings if the website doesn't allow for guests to search for specific titles?

There also doesn't seem to be any way to see when titles "expire", at least for guests. Maybe this is available after joining, but I have to say, Netflix doesn't seem to want to provide core information about evaluating thier product. Did I miss something on their website that allows for searching their catalog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I was spending some time this evening researching Netflix to see if it might be something I was interested in, and was unable to find any kind of search box on the website for guests. I googled several variations of "Netflix search" and 3rd party websites came up that offered a way to search the Netflix site. This didn't make a lot of sense for a site like Netflix that supposedly offers a large selection of movies, TV programs, etc.

As someone wanting to make an intelligent decision about whether or not to sign up for a service such as Netflix, how is it possible to evaluate the offerings if the website doesn't allow for guests to search for specific titles?

There also doesn't seem to be any way to see when titles "expire", at least for guests. Maybe this is available after joining, but I have to say, Netflix doesn't seem to want to provide core information about evaluating thier product. Did I miss something on their website that allows for searching their catalog?
Netflix has a free trial, which is one way to perform a hands-on evaluation. That's how we checked it out 18 months ago. We liked it.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:03 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Netflix usually has a 30-day free trial all the time. For 8 bucks a month, it's a good deal. I love it and have been with them for two years.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:22 PM

Good to hear there are fans of Netflix. However, it does not appear to be possible to evaluate it by browsing the catalog of shows prior to signing up. I'd like to see what I would be buying before purchase and before giving them all my personal info.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Good to hear there are fans of Netflix. However, it does not appear to be possible to evaluate it by browsing the catalog of shows prior to signing up. I'd like to see what I would be buying before purchase and before giving them all my personal info.
I will attempt to post the link to the browse section of the site. If it doesn't work, simply go to the homepage and scroll to the bottom. There, you will see "browse selection." That will take you to, hopefully, the page I'm linking here. They have a number of movies and TV shows you can view when you sign up.

You can also sign up for their 30-day FREE trial. You won't have to pay anything to do this, and will not be billed as long as you cancel before the 30 days is up. Good luck, here's the link.

https://signup.netflix.com/BrowseSelection

Old 12-28-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I will attempt to post the link to the browse section of the site. If it doesn't work, simply go to the homepage and scroll to the bottom. There, you will see "browse selection." That will take you to, hopefully, the page I'm linking here. They have a number of movies and TV shows you can view when you sign up.

You can also sign up for their 30-day FREE trial. You won't have to pay anything to do this, and will not be billed as long as you cancel before the 30 days is up. Good luck, here's the link.

https://signup.netflix.com/BrowseSelection
Thanks. Unfortunately, the "browse selection" page on Netflix only has a few selections listed on the page for each category, and the "browse selection" link at the bottom of that page and on the homepage only repeats the same page with a handful of selections viewable.

What I'm looking for is for a way to search a comprehensive list of all the selections available in each category, a search box. I've only been able to find this by looking at 3rd party websites, very strange that Netflix doesn't have this on their own site. I would think Netflix would have a search box on the home page so anyone could type in a selection to see if it's available. This is not the case so far as I can see without going to 3rd party sites for searching. Some 3rd party sites for searching the Netflix catalog below:

10 Tools to Get the Most Out of Netflix — Online Video News

Instant Watch Database - A Simple Instant Watch Search Engine

Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 PM

Well, then. Sorry I can't help you. You'll have to join the site to see their full catalog of movies and tv shows. As previously stated, you could join for 30 days and cancel before the time is up. Still, for 8 bucks a month, it's still a great deal. There are so many choices, you'd have to be planted in the chair 24/7 for months (maybe years) to watch everything they have available. Good luck

Old 12-28-2012, 08:54 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
I was also trying to check out Netflix and not having a lot of luck in the same way the OP mentioned. Question, you said it is $8 a mo. Do you have to give your credit card info and they deduct every month or for a whole year, or do they send a monthly bill by mail?

Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I was also trying to check out Netflix and not having a lot of luck in the same way the OP mentioned. Question, you said it is $8 a mo. Do you have to give your credit card info and they deduct every month or for a whole year, or do they send a monthly bill by mail?
My payment is directly charged to my credit card. That's how I track things so I like that. I don't know if there are other methods of payment but there is a page where they will answer your questions here:

https://signup.netflix.com/HowItWorks

If you would rather speak to someone in person, you can reach them at their toll free number here:

Questions? Call 1-866-579-7172 24 hours a day

Old 12-31-2012, 08:12 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
Just do the 30 day trial. You don't want to give them your information? Why?
You are wasting a ton of time when it only takes 15 minutes to sign up. You can spend a day checking it out and cancel that night if you want.
Just. Do. It.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet