Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 08:58 AM

185 posts, read 461,101 times

Advertisements

Been with Mediacom for 2 years, no problems. We decided since the internet was working pretty good we'd stop renting their modem and buy one outright. We bought the same exact model and hooked it up shortly after returning the rented one...

Issues. Non-stop issues since this happened. Husband fussed with the network settings and set it up. I called customer service to see if they could offer advice... "oh yea everythings working fine," so I contacted the seller of the modem thinking it was defective, they sent a whole new one and the same stuff with it.... had a technician come out from mediacom, he checked the speed and went outside to fiddle with stuff, plugged something into the modem and made remarks on how we have faster speeds than they offer and he wanted to take a picture... Great. Thanks. Of course the internet wasn't acting up while he was there, the minute he left, more issues. He complained about Router/Modem all in one's but completely disregarded me when I said we used this same model from them without so much as a hint of slowness for TWO YEARS STRAIGHT.

The symptoms:
Random disconnection (with no lights turning off on the device, I watch it like a hawk now)
Veryyyy slow connection randomly with any site

these happen for anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour several times a day. I read that some ISPs will try and force customers to rent their devices...is this the case? It's the only possibility left that I know of....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
The issue you're experiencing might have absolutely nothing to do with your modem. I used to have seemingly random Internet problems that I eventually noticed were occurring more as the weather got hot during the day. Turned out the issue was outside of my house, in the wiring that is the cable company's responsibility. Pay attention to whether the weather affects your service.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:24 PM

It does not, 2 years with nothing like this.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:57 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainswalker View Post
I read that some ISPs will try and force customers to rent their devices...is this the case? It's the only possibility left that I know of....
I don't think that this is the problem, but I can't figure out what it might be from your description.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:50 AM

My husband ran around in circles and figured it out...
It's the firmware, mediacom refuses to push the update because we aren't renting it from them (so they have it and are just greedy bleeps, filing a complaint to get that one on record.)
The person who sold us the modem won't do it.
Netgear (the brand) won't do it.

So we're being jacked around by everyone. Lovin' it.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:02 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
Quote:
My husband ran around in circles and figured it out...
It's the firmware, mediacom refuses to push the update because we aren't renting it from them (so they have it and are just greedy bleeps, filing a complaint to get that one on record.)
The person who sold us the modem won't do it.
Netgear (the brand) won't do it.

So we're being jacked around by everyone. Lovin' it.
Netgear won't let you update the firmware? Why not? That doesn't make sense. Is the firmwqare on their website?

Old 09-27-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Netgear won't let you update the firmware? Why not? That doesn't make sense. Is the firmwqare on their website?
I guess not. My husband called them up and they said they wouldn't do it, that our ISP would have to. We got the runaround in an expensive kind of way.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:52 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
I guess not. My husband called them up and they said they wouldn't do it, that our ISP would have to. We got the runaround in an expensive kind of way.

Sounds fishy. What's the model# of this Netgear modem and what firmware are you looking to upgrade to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet