Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:52 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times

Advertisements

Well, I just posted on my FB about landing a phone interview for a large well-known company. A friend of mine said to be careful because they are known to search social media for me. I wondered how it would work, since my account is private, completely, except to my friends (not even friends of friends can see anything on my page, so they may see follow-ups from the friend in common, but not my original statement).

And yet, in the back of my mind, I wonder.....just how much is out there?

People have been fired from jobs because of things on message boards. You either have to remember never to post photos or watch what you say. I would hope this guy removed everything asap. That's the first step. But people can do screen captures, so who knows. This should teach him a lesson to watch what he posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 07:25 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
This is why I change details in my "online" life to try and remain as Anonomous as possible. For starters, my name isn't even Mike.
oh, crap, we're supposed to remain anonymous??!?!?!? Guess I screwed because "spencgr" is my real name.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
A lot. On a forum I'm on a poster called the feds on my buddy because he had an iphone jailbreaking website and said it infringed apples copyright crap or whatever. Site got shut down. Dude was just being q tool. Theres some psychos out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-03-2013, 08:35 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,449 times
My name really is Brontosaurus. D'oh!

Old 10-03-2013, 08:46 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
If you want to be anonymous, why would you post your picture?

Also, deleting doesn't do much good. There are sites where you can find archived message boards, sites, etc.

Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
A lot. On a forum I'm on a poster called the feds on my buddy because he had an iphone jailbreaking website and said it infringed apples copyright crap or whatever. Site got shut down. Dude was just being q tool. Theres some psychos out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
What about the guy from Texas who made the joke about shooting up a school that was quickly followed by a "just kidding. LOL". Some nut in Canada called the cops and the guy is still in jail months later. This is what civil liberties advocates refer to as "the chilling effect". Fear to speak out of fear of retaliation, either from government or private institutions.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:39 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I discovered a post on Facebook that an ex-employee of our company was working for us and a competitor at the same time. Spent the last month with our company trying to bring their clients to the new job. Our corporate office sued them and the new employer. If you are going to be deceitful don't post it on Facebook. The lawyers loved the screen shot with the date on it and nailed 'em.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:52 PM

91 posts, read 401,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I discovered a post on Facebook that an ex-employee of our company was working for us and a competitor at the same time. Spent the last month with our company trying to bring their clients to the new job. Our corporate office sued them and the new employer. If you are going to be deceitful don't post it on Facebook. The lawyers loved the screen shot with the date on it and nailed 'em.
Your company is soulless.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:18 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTimeForLove View Post
Your company is soulless.
How is it souless, you have an employee double dipping and working for two competing companies at the same time and trying to steal customers? Needless to say the other side caved pretty quick and easy, did not have to proceed to court on this.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM

265 posts, read 409,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
If you want to be anonymous, why would you post your picture?

Also, deleting doesn't do much good. There are sites where you can find archived message boards, sites, etc.
this. do not post ur pics or address on a bloody message board. the wise man is the one who exercise restraint before it is even necessary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet