Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:37 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,428 times

Advertisements

just out of curiosity, how many people here pay attention to the ads on youtube videos???I have adblock so I rarely see any, (a few seem to sneak by)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 05:46 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,058,396 times
If it is a popup, I look away as I click the X to close it. If it is an ad with sound before the video I want to view, I mute the sound until the ad is over. I always avoid looking at the ad, and rarely know what is being advertised.

Rude ad behavior requires stern measures. I used to think I was the only one to deliberately avoid looking at intrusive ads, but apparently, it is common practice. In fact, many of the ad clicks occur because the user is trying to close the ad without actually looking at it.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
This is a great topic. I wonder this alot. It really blows me away how much money is being poured into online advertising.

Do you ever click the ads on the Google Search results page? Particularly the ones in the right hand pane, not the sponsored results.
Do you ever click the ado on the Facebook right panel?
Or the ones in your Facebook feeds?
How about ads that load over top your webpage that you have to click the "X" in the right corner?
Those are my "favorites" The only time I click those is when I miss the X.
I get companies have ad budgets. I get they need to spend those ad dollars and we are online SO much, of course they need to advertise on the web.

But I can't help thinking all they are doing is making us more and more immune to it all....

Old 01-24-2014, 09:27 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,870,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This is a great topic. I wonder this alot. It really blows me away how much money is being poured into online advertising.

Do you ever click the ads on the Google Search results page? Particularly the ones in the right hand pane, not the sponsored results.
Do you ever click the ado on the Facebook right panel?
Or the ones in your Facebook feeds?
How about ads that load over top your webpage that you have to click the "X" in the right corner?
Those are my "favorites" The only time I click those is when I miss the X.
I get companies have ad budgets. I get they need to spend those ad dollars and we are online SO much, of course they need to advertise on the web.

But I can't help thinking all they are doing is making us more and more immune to it all....
Good info in here:

You ARE The Product - YouTube

skip to 1:30ish if you don't have the time

Old 01-24-2014, 12:04 PM

I don't even need to watch that to know what you are talking about. Yes, we are the product. But you are also trying to sell stuff to us. As we get even more immune by the day to advertising, companies should really consider toning DOWN the advertising but making to more enticing for us to click on an ad. If I didn't see an ad on every webpage, at the beginning f every video, on the side of my Facebook page... I might be more apt to click one.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:45 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,425,756 times
I don't have any adblocker
I don't like ads, I just click to close them. It can be annoying.

But I can see them being useful. Without ads, some people wouldn't be doing their channels. And there are a lot of informative channels I watch.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't even need to watch that to know what you are talking about. Yes, we are the product. But you are also trying to sell stuff to us. As we get even more immune by the day to advertising, companies should really consider toning DOWN the advertising but making to more enticing for us to click on an ad. If I didn't see an ad on every webpage, at the beginning f every video, on the side of my Facebook page... I might be more apt to click one.
Basically he talks about how you may think you're becoming immune to ads, but there's about half a trillion dollars that ad agencies spent in 2012 that says you're mindlessly paying attention and it is still worth their time and money to make those ads

Old 01-28-2014, 01:55 PM

OK I watched it.
I like what he said. Very much. And I know very well and have told others about US being the product. I get that.
But I still somewhat disagree. I AM immune to ads. These companies ARE wasting money on me. "You may think you are immune but here is a half a trillion dollars that says otherwise"...
So because they spent all that money, it works? That's not a convincing argument.
Yea it may work on some. I'm sure it does. But the more we see, I am convinced, the less we will care...

Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Adblock Plus on Firefox blocks everything. I can't stand using a browser without it. I'm spoiled.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Adblock Plus on Firefox blocks everything. I can't stand using a browser without it. I'm spoiled.
Do you allow ads on free-to-use sites you frequent that survive on ad revenue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet