Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 12:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Now the copyright scum are filing lawsuits over a single word:

https://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy...pixels-150808/

Reminds me of when microsoft tried to copyright the word "windows"...
You can't copyright a word, that would be a trademark. For example you can claim to be an American airline, what you can't do is imply or claim to be the American Airlines. Had Microsoft trademarked the word Windows anybody using that in their name would fall under scrutiny especially if it had to do with software. For example suppose your product was "House Windows Cleaning", that would be safe. "Computer Windows Cleaning" would be subject to litigation.

Getting to the article in question they are not filing lawsuits, they are filing DMCA notices in error based on a word apparently. This is a tool anyone can use, it streamlines the ability of someone that owns copyright material to have it removed without having to go through the courts.

When you file DMCA the person on the other end can file counter claim and if they were harmed by false DMCA notice can go after the person in court to seek damages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 12:57 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Bottom line is people who sue over copyright issues are scumbags and the same goes for the people who support these scumbags...
On the contrary, the term "scumbag" is best reserved for people who use other people's work without respect for copyright law or the Constitution of the United States These people have entitlement issues in regards to other people's work and have no respect for the concept of hard work. They are a real parasite in society today. Anyone who supports these parasites has likely never worked an honest days work.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:44 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,429,421 times
I agree with NJBest.

I work as a computer programmer (software engineer, software developer) I have a billion titles, but you get the idea. Members of my extended family are lawyers that specialize in Software copy right laws.

I simply do not think it's fair to generalize all copyright cases. Cases involving big companies often have allot of money and politics behind it.

This case for instance shaped industry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle...._Google,_Inc.

I was following CNN.com coverage on Russia last year, and I am culturally Russian. So for like 6 month they clearly misrepresented Russia in the way they reported the news. In order to figure out what's going with the world I had to read CNN, RT.com and BBC. But the fact is that my American news agency that is considered a respected news source was spewing propaganda. Given a chance I would drag CNN into a copy right infringement case just out of spite. I mean free news, without propaganda, without telling people what to think, news without an agenda !

MSFT been getting into cases in Europe that are more about politics then anything else.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
But the fact is that my American news agency that is considered a respected news source was spewing propaganda. Given a chance I would drag CNN into a copy right infringement case just out of spite.
What the hell are you talking about? This would have nothing to do with copyright and suing a news organization for misrepresenting something is only applicable if it's outright lie and you are the subject.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:17 PM

Take a look at TurboTax. I have to spend like a $100 on their software every year, tax laws and tax forms don't change that much. So basically they are milking it while using the protection of copy right laws.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What the hell are you talking about? This would have nothing to do with copyright and suing a news organization for misrepresenting something is only applicable if it's outright lie and you are the subject.
I am talking about having a political agenda in suing them.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I am talking about having a political agenda in suing them.

You can't sue someone for having a political agenda, welcome to the land of free speech.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Take a look at TurboTax. I have to spend like a $100 on their software every year, tax laws and tax forms don't change that much. So basically they are milking it while using the protection of copy right laws.
Unfortunately, tax laws change quite a bit year to year in the United States. Our tax system is really a messed up system. However, you're right, in that, the majority of tax laws rarely change.

That being said, I totally agree with you in regards to software and copyright laws. You are working hard to create software and that work should be respected. It is your work and you have a right to prosper from it.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:40 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
On the contrary, the term "scumbag" is best reserved for people who use other people's work without respect for copyright law or the Constitution of the United States These people have entitlement issues in regards to other people's work and have no respect for the concept of hard work. They are a real parasite in society today. Anyone who supports these parasites has likely never worked an honest days work.
Scumbag can mean anything and anyone, just where is it put in concrete that it only applies as you decree?

I support "hackers" because they are the ones who should be defending the United States of America. Look at the compromised servers over the past few years, you call that a good job of coding? Look at the OS's running on those servers, that a good job of coding?

So I have never worked an honest days work?

I did two tours of duty in Viet Nam before starting in the IT field in 1971 I had worked pumping gas for a buck an hour (I watched President Kennedy drive by once), before that and the Navy I delivered fresh meat on my bicycle and cleaned the meat storage areas for $3.00 a day.

The only reason I stopped working in IT was a massive heart attack which forced me into retirement (that was 2011).

Back in "the old days" when the American public was ignorant of computers the term "hacker" was a badge of honor. Then the media took over when home computers came on the scene with their usual smoke & mirrors sensationalist verbiage turning the term into something criminal and evil. When movies and TV started bandying about the term people just accepted it and KNEW it was fact and true...

As usual the American public believed whatever sensationalist garbage the media published, took it in stride and from that point onwards...

Make the software bulletproof and there will be no criminal mischief, what is so frigging hard to understand about that? Especially for corporations as large as microsoft, apple and others employing thousands of coders.

You are not going to change thousands of years of criminal human nature, you must defend (code) against it...

The above is not sensationalist nor headline grabbing so the American media will never cover it hence most Americans sing the same worn out tired old mantra:

Hackers are criminals, they are dangerous, they are parasites on society, they are scum etc etc etc etc etc...

Last edited by plwhit; 08-24-2015 at 11:10 AM..

Old 08-24-2015, 11:16 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
FYI: The Copyright Term Extension Act

Quote:
The Copyright Term Extension Act (CTEA) of 1998 extended copyright terms in the United States. Since the Copyright Act of 1976, copyright would last for the life of the author plus 50 years, or 75 years for a work of corporate authorship. The 1976 Act also increased the extension term for works copyrighted before 1978 that had not already entered the public domain from twenty-eight years to forty-seven years, giving a total term of seventy-five years. The 1998 Act extended these terms to life of the author plus 70 years and for works of corporate authorship to 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever endpoint is earlier.[1] Copyright protection for works published prior to January 1, 1978, was increased by 20 years to a total of 95 years from their publication date.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyri..._Extension_Act

Instead of people enjoying <whatever>, enlightening their children, family and/or public lets make darned sure everyone is dead, the work(s) long forgotten and turned to dust...

Way to go America!!!

Last edited by plwhit; 08-24-2015 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet